Goat Of The Year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pinball Wizard

Refugee
Nominations and suggestions are welcome...

My candidate: John Carney.

Destroyed all hopes of New Orlean's playoff season by blooping the conversion of a spectacular lateral-litaned miracle drive. Merely beat out my runner-up pick, simply for the prospects of long-term goat remembrance...

My Runner-up: That Cubs fan. You know, that guy with the ball. nudge, nudge.

Honourable Mentions: Kobe Bryant, Vijay Singh, Oscar De La Hoya, and Dominik Hasek.

:up:

The list is open for scrutiny, or additions...

red sox nation for blaming another red sox colapse on grady little over one decision... failing to remember that the game continued for 3 more innings after that decision... just like they forget about game 7 in 1986... one play never costs a game... or a series for that matter

funny, no one fired joe torre for bringing the infield in against the diamondbacks :scratch:

back to reality... my vote for biggest goat goes to scott boras

Headache in a Suitcase said:

funny, no one fired joe torre for bringing the infield in against the diamondbacks :scratch:
C'mon now, Torre bringing the infield in is the proper strategy in that scenario, it just didn't pan out, and Steinbrenner wanted to fire him anyway, as he does every time the Yanks lose or even get scored upon.

And Grady wasn't fired.

fine... he was told he wasn't comming back and if he could please go live in montana with bill buckner :wink:

all year long i keep hearing from my red sox fan friends about how bad the bullpen is... about how they can't trust that bullpen in a tough situation... and then grady decides to go with his horse, the #1 guy, the guy who got 'em there... and all my red sox fan friends are screaming "why didn't he go to the bullpen?! how could you leave pedro in! he's a moron... you have to go to the bullpen there!"

the point i was making is on the difference between most every team and the red sox. a red sox player makes an error in a big spot in the playoffs, he's crucified and run out of town. a manager makes a decision that backfires, and he's fired. ya don't like my infield in comparison, fine... if joe torre had brought jeff weaver into the game against the marlins as manager of the boston red sox, he would've been fired... or asked not to come back:wink:... before the start of the next season.

maybe it's just the desperation of knowing that your team hasn't won in almost 90 years that causes such over-reactions. :shrug: i dunno... if that is the case, frankly i don't really blame ya.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
fine... he was told he wasn't comming back and if he could please go live in montana with bill buckner :wink:

all year long i keep hearing from my red sox fan friends about how bad the bullpen is... about how they can't trust that bullpen in a tough situation... and then grady decides to go with his horse, the #1 guy, the guy who got 'em there... and all my red sox fan friends are screaming "why didn't he go to the bullpen?! how could you leave pedro in! he's a moron... you have to go to the bullpen there!"
The difference being that in the playoffs, Timlin, Embree and Williamson had been nearly unhittable.

And lets not forget that Bill Buckner came back to the Red Sox (1989 or 1990 I forget ), and was well received, got a standing "O" on opening day, and even hit an inside the park homer (the opposing right fielder flipped over the wall in Fenway's RF corner chasing what should have been a double for most, maybe a single for Billy Bucks).
So Grady may be forgiven in the next millenium, but for now, us long suffering chowdah-heads will fit him with 2003's hugest set of goat horns.

bringing jeff weaver in during a WS game wasnt too bright...but torre definitly isnt the goat of the year

i agreed with gradys decision to leave pedro in. hes the best pitcher in the game, he should have been able to get out of that jam. it happens.

that said, my goat of the year is pedro. he is the best pitcher in the staff and probably in the league. he should have known better whether or not to stay in or have the balls to say im done, this is no time to fuck around and make a hero of myself, bring in embree and lets get out of this with the lead.

Hewson said:

The difference being that in the playoffs, Timlin, Embree and Williamson had been nearly unhittable.

And lets not forget that Bill Buckner came back to the Red Sox (1989 or 1990 I forget ), and was well received, got a standing "O" on opening day, and even hit an inside the park homer (the opposing right fielder flipped over the wall in Fenway's RF corner chasing what should have been a double for most, maybe a single for Billy Bucks).
So Grady may be forgiven in the next millenium, but for now, us long suffering chowdah-heads will fit him with 2003's hugest set of goat horns.

I was there cheering for him...... that day....

However.....

the new bridge in Boston is called by true Bostononians the Buckner Bridge.....

bridge.jpg

Here is the view.....through the legs...I mean bridge

When you mention GOAT you have to think of the Cubs, and the goat curse of 1908, and that moron who ruined the series by grabbing the ball.

BTW has anyone heard the new song which gives GOAT a new meaning,

Greatest
Of
All
Time?

Carmen Policy, Butch Davis and the Cleveland Browns. From 9-7 and in the playoffs to the new Bengals.

Back
Top Bottom