Goat Island, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Setlist nerdism to the rescue?

These are the demo sessions as best as I can determine:
U2 Dublin, 1978-04-00, Eamon Andrews Studios, Various Dates - U2 on tour
U2 Dublin, 1978-11-01, Keystone Studios, Various Dates - U2 on tour
U2 Dublin, 1979-02-00, Eamon Andrews Studios, Various Dates - U2 on tour
U2 Dublin, 1979-06-00, Windmill Lane Studios, Various Dates - U2 on tour
U2 London, 1979-12-00, CBS Studios, Various Dates - U2 on tour

Anything not included there was probably not recorded in the studio or is not in circulation. So yeah, Silver Lining was just live - it evolved into 11OTT somewhere in the month between early March and 5-6 April 1980.
i love you!

i wonder if the supposed demos i have of the songs on boy (not all of them, but some) are real or just the released versions? i've not ever listened to them.

i love you!

i wonder if the supposed demos i have of the songs on boy (not all of them, but some) are real or just the released versions? i've not ever listened to them.

SATT, Twilight, ADWM, and ATAP are all legit. I have seen claims that there are versions of OOC, SFB, and Boy/Girl that differ from the U2:3 versions, but I've heard them and they are ... well, the same. I think it was just some guy passing them off as having a single note different or slightly different levels or something so that he could share them on a tracker that banned official releases but not demos.

I know of no demos for the others.

You just looked in PLEBA for the first time?
ha, no. it's offline stuff. to make a lame story short, there's this guy who lives in my town who i'd been emailing and texting. he came on like waaaaaay too strong so one night i said i was sick and needed to lay down (i was sick at least). he sent me like 10 texts over the course of the rest of the day asking if i still wanted to talk. wtf. then he also emailed me and asked the same thing and i told him i wasn't sure anymore. he's never responded to the email and has been texting me every couple days. wtf. ignoring my email won't change my mind.

SATT, Twilight, ADWM, and ATAP are all legit. I have seen claims that there are versions of OOC, SFB, and Boy/Girl that differ from the U2:3 versions, but I've heard them and they are ... well, the same. I think it was just some guy passing them off as having a single note different or slightly different levels or something so that he could share them on a tracker that banned official releases but not demos.

I know of no demos for the others.
ahh, okay. i've got those. (though who doesn't?) i also have supposed demos of iwf, acd, and ith. i've never bothered listening to them.

Guys, I'm totally Wide Awake in America right now, and Bono's sunglasses dealer's mother's cat's vet's assistant's postman has told me that ONE is not really that bad a song at all, in fact it's the best song ever written EVAR!

ha, no. it's offline stuff. to make a lame story short, there's this guy who lives in my town who i'd been emailing and texting. he came on like waaaaaay too strong so one night i said i was sick and needed to lay down (i was sick at least). he sent me like 10 texts over the course of the rest of the day asking if i still wanted to talk. wtf. then he also emailed me and asked the same thing and i told him i wasn't sure anymore. he's never responded to the email and has been texting me every couple days. wtf. ignoring my email won't change my mind.

Send him a text saying you're actually a man.

ahh, okay. i've got those. (though who doesn't?) i also have supposed demos of iwf, acd, and ith. i've never bothered listening to them.

Ah, I'd be interested in what those turn out to be. IWF didn't exist until about May 1980 in the first place, so the only session it could've been recorded at is Boy. As for ACD/ITH, there are reports an early ACD, perhaps entirely in Gaelic, existed as far back as early 1978, but I've never seen it in any setlist and the song we know didn't come into existence until about May or June 1980 either.

Send him a text saying you're actually a man.
ha, i should. when a similar thing happened to me last year (i was texting a guy while at work, he asked if he could call. i told him no i was at work - like actually at work, not on break - he proceeded to call me several times and kept texting asking if i could talk. i was like uhhh did you miss the part where i was at work? and decided i wouldn't waste my time on a complete moron) and he kept texting days later i finally said if he contacted me again i'd call the police. he finally stopped then. :love:

i'VE DECIDED THAT WE SHOULD ALL TYPE LIKE THIS IN PROTEST OF THE NO ALL CAPS RULE.

i'M SUCH A REVOLUTIONARY, YO.

Don't think those demos are real. They sound very similar to the Skinner Sessions versions.
:hmm:

Ah, I'd be interested in what those turn out to be. IWF didn't exist until about May 1980 in the first place, so the only session it could've been recorded at is Boy. As for ACD/ITH, there are reports an early ACD, perhaps entirely in Gaelic, existed as far back as early 1978, but I've never seen it in any setlist and the song we know didn't come into existence until about May or June 1980 either.
:hmm: i'll listen to them now and see. the version of acd is definitely not the version off boy. it sounds ripped from vinyl. it could be live though.

Incidentally, I love that it's been over 100 Superthreads since we actually got the gayCHUBBYdating ad and we're still referencing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom