Go See Jersey Girl!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Kevin Smith has asked people on his board to spread the word about "Jersey Girl," and since I dig him so highly, I am. First, I love Kevin Smith. My brother took me to see "Chasing Amy" in the theater and I was floored by it, his writing is so fantastic and real, better than real because it's so sharp. "Dogma" was just incredible. "Clerks" is genius. "Mall Rats" is perfect when you just want to laugh and not think too hard. "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back," it was so fun to go to a movie and be in on all the in jokes.

Okay, so all that being said, I had to see "Jersey Girl," if not opening day, at least opening weekend. I went yesterday (again with my brother) and loved the movie. It's really sweet and funny--I was rolling through most of it, and cried at least twice. Everyone in the movie is fantastic, particularly Ben Affleck (who I think always does his best work with Kevin Smith) and Raquel Castro, who plays Ben's daughter.

This movie is being critized by critics and fans for deveating from the Kevin Smith formula of dick-and-fart jokes. First, that's not entirely true, the Kevin Smith sensibility is alive and well throughout the movie (I loved when Ben's character told his pregnant wife that the only reason singers like Janet Jackson and Sheryl Crow are thin is because they're coked-out whores). Second, I completely applaud Kevin Smith for stretching and growing as an artist and a person. Like the character Holden MacNeil in "Chasing Amy," Kevin Smith has found something personal to write about, and he does it so well.

If you like other Kevin Smith movies, go see "Jersey Girl." If you like warm-hearted comedies, go see "Jersey Girl." If you think Ben Affleck looks really great in tight jeans and t-shirts, go see "Jersey Girl."

Stepping off the soap box now. And I think I'll go again myself this weekend.

p_Jerseygirl.jpg

I saw it and loved it. Reviews are mixed, but I think most critics are too cynical to admit to liking a movie like this :D

I guess maybe it touched me more than it might some other people for personal reasons, but I cried at least twice too. Yeah, it's "corny, sappy", blah blah, but it made me feel better than any other movie I've seen this year. Ben was pretty good in it, I'd like to see him in more roles like that one.

I don't know that much about Kevin (though I have seem most of his movies), but from that movie I'd guess he's a heck of a Dad :)

The two Bruce songs in it were a lovely addition :wink: I wish the box office was better, but I heard it's in far fewer theaters than that Scooby Doo piece of crap :D

I want to see it, but everyone I know is anti-Affleck so I will probably have to wait until video... :|

I am willing to forgive Affleck for J.Lo to see this movie. I like Kevin Smith and the previews look good. And Liv Tyler has grown on me.

I'm sorry but I am so turned off by the old, worn out, overrused and annoying, guy with a dead wife and a little girl who wants a new mommy and she helps get him together with the girl storyline I could gag my guts out. If it weren't already old by the time the Olsen twins came along they wore it out. "Billboard Dad" was the worst. At least half the movies on the Disney Channel in the 90's had that theme. Au Pair, A Mom For Christmas, Lifesize, and many more. Ever notice how many of those little kid movies start with the mom being dead? Why is she always dead? So they can work the sad little kid thing and they can get the dad a new wife! That's how it always works and always ends. I can't believe anyone keeps falling for that crap. It's not cute, it's not entertaining, and I can't believe Hollywood would overruse that shitty, corny, cheesy, tiresome storyline again.

Last edited:
It looks like a good movie, I just wish he had'nt put Jennifer Lopez in it. I simply can't watch or listen to anything she's involved in.:sick:

Leeloo said:
I'm sorry but I am so turned off by the old, worn out, overrused and annoying, guy with a dead wife and a little girl who wants a new mommy and she helps get him together with the girl storyline I could gag my guts out. If it weren't already old by the time the Olsen twins came along they wore it out. "Billboard Dad" was the worst. At least half the movies on the Disney Channel in the 90's had that theme. Au Pair, A Mom For Christmas, Lifesize, and many more. Ever notice how many of those little kid movies start with the mom being dead? Why is she always dead? So they can work the sad little kid thing and they can get the dad a new wife! That's how it always works and always ends. I can't believe anyone keeps falling for that crap. It's not cute, it's not entertaining, and I can't believe Hollywood would overruse that shitty, corny, cheesy, tiresome storyline again.

That doesn't happen at all in "Jersey Girl." In fact, the relationship between the dad and daughter gets way more play than any possible romances.

I saw it and thought it was great. A first-grader doing a scene from Sweeney Todd for her Catholic elementary school pageant is genius. :up:

I have only two major beefs:

1.) Romance between Liv Tyler's and Ben Affleck's characters, while I agree it was secondary, was not really well-developed and happened a little too fast;

2.) Even though I love Broooooooooce and he is from Jersey, they should have used Tom Waits' version of "Jersey Girl" instead of Brooooooooce's. I love the song, though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom