G'n'R / Nirvana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gav6519

War Child
had this 'discussion' with some friends: which is better:

appetite for destruction, or
nevermind.

opinion was fairly split, i say appetite for destruction.

wonder what everyone else thinks?

i think they're a bit too different from each other to really pick one over the other without being too particularly biased towards a type of music.

the way i see it is that it's all about the guitar. that's the first thing i think of when i think of 80% of music. there's a world of difference between the guitar on both those albums, and whichever one you chose is probably going to fit with your general opinions on what you like a guitar to be doing in a song. i know that's the reason i'd say nevermind hands down.

Tough call...really an apples to oranges type thing.
Both albums had major impact.
I'd probably chose Appetite, but just barely.

but guns and roses is still pretending to be a band. which is a worse music crime? spawning crap or wearing out your welcome?

i'd go with wearing out your welcome. you really have no control over what kinds of talentless losers put together a band and claim you as an influence. it would be like saying that it's the clash's fault we have to listen to simple plan now. actually, it would be like blaming green day since i'm pretty sure those guys wouldn't go back that far...

I happen to like a fair portion of what the media dubbed "hair metal", I also happen to loathe quite a bit of it too. Though I'll say the length of the musicians' hair had nothing to do with their talent or lack thereof.
Do these bands lose the monniker "hair band" if they all pay a visit to a barber?

I am going with Nevermind, only because Grunge music was the music of my youth and I guess Nevermind was my Sgt Pepper, I was 14 when it came out and I remember myself and all of my friends just being in awe of all of the new 'grunge' bands. I had a brief flirtation with the gunners but they never really did it for me and I would say that November Rain is one of my most loathed songs ever:yuck:

I think Nirvana is one of the most over-rated bands ever so I will go with Appetite... plus that is one of my favorite albums.

what about neither? grunge is horribly overrated imo. every time some journalist digs up some obscure fact like kurt's last bowel movement he's put on the cover of a rock mag. i feel bad for him, he can't even rest in peace because these freaks who still think it's 95 won't leave him alone.

and guns n roses...some of their stuff was all right, but axl's antics fucked that all up.

ten

oh no that was not an option :|

then i really dont know, i think both albums are solid but not amongst my all time favorites. as a matter of fact my favorite nirvana album by far is the unplugged album

OK to compare the two albums on their own merit alone I'd have to say Nevermind.

Both are good albums both had a huge impact. Appetite I think was overblown at times and still lacked a complete dissassociation with everything else going on at the time.

Nevermind even though somewhat derivative at times(but I think all music is at some point) it had power and emotion that Appetite lacked. It also had a certain cleverness that Axl never achieved.

Flying FuManchu said:
Nirvana has spawned its own load of crap and IMO unfortunately has had far more negative impact than what hair metal had...

not really sure how to respond to this statement.

this entire thread is a waste of space.

:kurdtisspinninginhisgravetrustmeiknow:

HeadsOnSticks said:
not really sure how to respond to this statement.

this entire thread is a waste of space.

:kurdtisspinninginhisgravetrustmeiknow:

:mad: YEAH!! what HE said!!!!

kurdtbashing :down:

Do you really believe the bands that are played on alt rock radio aren't influenced by "Nirvana?"

Nickelback, Saliva, Bush, Puddle of Mudd, etc... hell most of alt-rock radio these days...

These are guys who grew up or copped a sound listening to Cobain when they were young. I don't like to bash bands and I don't want to say they are crap but I know most of you all hate the above bands and wish they were not around. But Nirvana and corporate music execs helped bring about these bands. Metallica, Motorhead, Slayer, Guns n Roses, etc... critics's darlings.... however groups like Warrant, Poison, Dokken, etc...
are the same ilk as the Nickelbacks and Puddle of Mudds....

If I'm being harsh, let me say that I think Extreme's "More Than Words" is one of the greatest songs ever written...

do you know where the fuck you are, your in the JUNGLE baby your gonna dieeeeeeeeeeeeeee yaaaaaaayyyyyyy.

do you all know that axl and cobain faught at mtv vma's or something.(they exchanged words)

the vines(that suck big i mean big time) are another nirvana wannabe.

and i have not seen a band like gnr for a long time.

GNR hands down! it not a matter of opinion its just the best kind of music! ROCK&ROLL!:drool:

Look how much interest Axl and GnR gets and they haven't released a real studio album in like nearly 10+ years. Appetite is considered a Joshua Tree, White Album, etc... type of classic album.

IF Axl was dead alah the Cobain way or had a that Sex Pistols bassist (name escapes me) type of end, GnR would be deified to the nth degree with Axl being some kind of super rock deity instead of the rock demi-god he is now.

Flying FuManchu said:
Do you really believe the bands that are played on alt rock radio aren't influenced by "Nirvana?"

Nickelback, Saliva, Bush, Puddle of Mudd, etc... hell most of alt-rock radio these days...

These are guys who grew up or copped a sound listening to Cobain when they were young. I don't like to bash bands and I don't want to say they are crap but I know most of you all hate the above bands and wish they were not around. But Nirvana and corporate music execs helped bring about these bands. Metallica, Motorhead, Slayer, Guns n Roses, etc... critics's darlings.... however groups like Warrant, Poison, Dokken, etc...
are the same ilk as the Nickelbacks and Puddle of Mudds....

If I'm being harsh, let me say that I think Extreme's "More Than Words" is one of the greatest songs ever written...

How can you blame Nirvana for these bands? Are you going to blame NIN for every industrial rip off band such as Gravity Kills or Stabbing Westward, blame U2 for watered down versions such as Train, and I won't even go into the crap bands that have tried to be the Beatles.

Flying FuManchu said:
Look how much interest Axl and GnR gets and they haven't released a real studio album in like nearly 10+ years. Appetite is considered a Joshua Tree, White Album, etc... type of classic album.

IF Axl was dead alah the Cobain way or had a that Sex Pistols bassist (name escapes me) type of end, GnR would be deified to the nth degree with Axl being some kind of super rock deity instead of the rock demi-god he is now.

let's not get too carried away here, ok?
I love G n R, but you cannot, CANNOT compare Appetite For Destruction to either the Joshua Tree or The White Album.
End of fucking story. Not even in the same league.
Axl is a has been who was utterly dependent on Izzy, Duff, & Slash to help him write material.
Kurdt didn't need anyone but himself to write songs that changed the face of alternative music.

and btw mr. fu manchu, "that sex pistols bassist's" name was Sid Vicious. Rock n Roll 101.

:wave:

I think you can compare Appetite for Destruction to a Joshua Tree in terms of musical value (i.e. musical significance, what the album means to the band, and its influence) and figure, this a classic in the lines of a Joshua Tree, or White Album. Let me say first that I like Joshua Tree way above the White Album and Appetite for Destruction, and I'm not a super fan of GnR, but with that said...

I used to think of Appetite as being an okay album but over the years it has grown on me and its influence/ appeal was much wider than what I realized. These days, when anyone mentions GnR outside of Axl's breakdown and Chinese Democracy is how great Appetite was. I'm talking about guys like Zakk Wylde, Grohl, (I'm sure there are more) etc... Guitar-wise, Slash's playing was influential and somewhat different from that time period of metal.
Also, Appetite was the album that made Guns N Roses. No matter how popular November Rain or Patience was/is, people IMO rarely mention the albums those songs came from. Also, as an album Appetite is considered the touchstone of Guns N Roses to pretty much any musician who mentions Guns n Roses.

And I don't see why Appetite can't now be mentioned with the above "classics albums, espeically with what I mentioned. Guns N Roses was actually the dominant band of its era.

Even as a Nirvana fan, I can see Appetite getting just as much of a nod or more than Nevermind.

So if Bono only writes the lyrics and rarely contributes with the music does that make him less of an artist than Kurt? Seriously, we all know how goofy Axl is but he wasn't that much of a hack.

Last edited:
I know I shouldn't blame Nirvana for the way modern rock in America is these days b/c IMO its actually American music culture that is the root cause. But I'm not blind to the fact (and I hope people don't ignore it) that Nirvana helped contribute to the idea/ movement of rock music being plain metal-based power chord riffs, filled with angst, shouting, and almost no guitar solos. Sure there are the Wilcos, Pavements,etc out there but they are like the few needles in the haystack. Its the Cobain spawn that dominate not only mainstrea radio but the "alt" rock radio. Real power pop, with humor or fun/ whimsical music IMO was the what was killed IMO rather than hair metal. At least Hair metal died, but the "alt rock" still keeps chugging.... ugh.

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:
So if Bono only writes the lyrics and rarely contributes with the music does that make him less of an artist than Kurt?

bono is SO much less of an artist than kurdt.

seriously. i adore bono just as much as the next U2 fan, but when it comes to writing, he can't touch kurdt.

seriously, though. trust me. appetite is just not going to hold up with the next generation the way albums like josh and the white album have. they cannot be compared.

Back
Top Bottom