Gnaw Bone, Indiana Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's really confuse people by calling one line the North Shore Line, and come up with a tenuous explanation for how it's got nothing to do with that other North Shore everybody's known by that name for decades upon decades and how could you be so stupid to confuse them.

You're telling me that Onehunga doesn't have a shore north of the Manukau Harbour?

There we go, perfect.

Plus, at least one duplicitous politician could now come out and say that the North Shore DOES have a railway.

All this directional naming reminds me of my city. We're built on a bend in the Ohio river, so our city grid runs on a diagonal, rather than north-south. Because of this, the area of town we call the "south side" is actually in the northeast quadrant of town. The "north side" is to the northwest, and the "west end" is to the southwest. The southeast quadrant was a suburb until about a decade ago when we ate it, so it's just called Lone Oak.

If you look at it on a map, parts of the "south side" are actually farther north than the "north side"

All this directional naming reminds me of my city. We're built on a bend in the Ohio river, so our city grid runs on a diagonal, rather than north-south. Because of this, the area of town we call the "south side" is actually in the northeast quadrant of town. The "north side" is to the northwest, and the "west end" is to the southwest. The southeast quadrant was a suburb until about a decade ago when we ate it, so it's just called Lone Oak.

If you look at it on a map, parts of the "south side" are actually farther north than the "north side"

I was going to say that's bloody confusing, but Melbourne's actually not dissimilar.

The Hoddle Grid in the CBD isn't on a perfect east-west alignment either because it follows the (somewhat straightened) Yarra River. But the SW-to-NE angle it's on isn't a particularly sharp one, so that if you draw a latitudinal line from the southeasternmost corner at Flinders/Spring, it runs south of the northwesternmost corner at La Trobe/Spencer.

But it does mean that the roads in the inner suburbs of North Melbourne and Carlton do not parallel the Hoddle Grid, since they have an alignment closer to east-west (in fact, a very gentle NW-to-SE alignment). Victoria St, which runs about four or five blocks north of the western end of the Hoddle Grid, touches the northeastern tip of the Grid when it intersects with La Trobe/Spring.

And now everybody who's bad with maps and directions is very confused.

I often give people directions saying "meet me on the northeastern corner of X/Y" or "you'll want to be on the southern side of the street", thinking this is perfectly fucking obvious, and they're just "...zuh?"

And now everybody who's bad with maps and directions is very confused.

I often give people directions saying "meet me on the northeastern corner of X/Y" or "you'll want to be on the southern side of the street", thinking this is perfectly fucking obvious, and they're just "...zuh?"

I like to think I have a good sense of direction, but the cardinal points tend to go over my head when used this way. I think it's because my city's sense of direction is so messed up.

We use landmarks instead. Toward downtown or toward the mall, across from such and such, on the same side of the street as whozywhat.

I'm mildly embarrassed I couldn't work out my way around Mt Maunganui the other day but if you put me in central Auckland I can find things accidentally.

My ex was drunk once and we were going to meet in town. I was getting pissed off with her not knowing where she was so finally asked what she could see. She said "cars". Walked to the nearest motorway overbridge and bingo.

Nobody believes that story.

I like to think I have a good sense of direction, but the cardinal points tend to go over my head when used this way. I think it's because my city's sense of direction is so messed up.

We use landmarks instead. Toward downtown or toward the mall, across from such and such, on the same side of the street as whozywhat.

This sort of stuff is fine for locals but I've confused some visitors in Melbourne by telling them to meet under the clocks at Flinders Street Station, and that's basically the ultimate Melbourne landmark/meeting place.

This sort of stuff is fine for locals but I've confused some visitors in Melbourne by telling them to meet under the clocks at Flinders Street Station, and that's basically the ultimate Melbourne landmark/meeting place.

I've devolved to "What do you see? Right, don't fucken move!"

Lady friend used the same technique at the Mount on me.

Not having a plan is as good as having one. I mean we didn't make Auckland a disaster by mistake, did we now?

Well, you did make it a disaster by ignoring some damn good plans!

There's one from the 1960s, I think 1966 or 1967, that would've blessed Auckland with a proper commuter rail network. But nooooo.

:lol:

I can't wait to visit Adelaide next week to be its one tourist for February.

Today I learned how fucking hard it is to try to get a clear photo of cell slides through a microscope using a smart phone. This better pay off for studying.

That said, smooth muscle tissues look like Jupiter.

Yeah, me in February and some other rando in March. The other ten months? Adelaide only keeps its airport open for residents to leave. :tongue:

By slaving, I mean "poking around on Interference".

SUCH ONEROUS SLAVERY.

I'm bored. Can't wander off an visit my dad.

I tend not to visit the rest home when I've got something like a cold. I don't want to wipe out the population.
Practicing good hand hygiene is the best way to avoid spreading anything. Wash your hands, don't touch your mucous membranes, sneeze into your shoulder.

I am a nursing assistant since last month, and did my course specifically in long term care with seniors.

Back
Top Bottom