Gnarls Barkley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

impy13

ONE love, blood, life
Anyone else enjoying this Danger Mouse/Cee-Lo collab?

I recently picked up St. Elsewhere and the whole album is a groove. I'm liking it.

i just got this today.

after a cursory listen, i like the second half better than the first. just a thought, necromancing, and the last time are pretty good, and i really like storm coming.

and, of course, crazy.

i'll have to give it a couple more spins, but still :up:

I have only heard the single Crazy. Does the rest of the album continue along a similar vein?

Tilli said:
I have only heard the single Crazy. Does the rest of the album continue along a similar vein?

Sort of, but I'd say Crazy is more chilled out than the bulk of the album.

And HelloAngel, I can't think of any artists to really compare it to or anything, but it's really infectious beats and good vocals. It's a really fun listen. The only other hip hop acts I like are Kanye West and Outkast, but I don't know if that gives you any indications of GB's sound.

inmyplace13 said:

Sort of, but I'd say Crazy is more chilled out than the bulk of the album.

OK, cool. I finally heard "Crazy" today. It didn't quite grab my ass. What does the other stuff sound like? I love Cee-Lo and adore Outkast's and Kanye's sound.

I just bought St. Elsewhere from iTunes. I'm only about halfway through it but I absolutely love it :drool:

it's hard to classify. It is hip hop, but I wouldn't limit it as such. It's not like much of anything on the radio. If you like hip hop with elements of rock - Outkast, Mos Def, or even Gorillaz - you'd probably dig this. It definitely has its own unique sound, and like imp said pretty much the whole thing is a groove and it's catchy as hell.

This is interesting. I love Crazy but I've never been one for anything remotely 'hip-hop' or at least not consciously. So do you think I'd like the album based on Crazy? it's got such good reviews that i am quite intrigued.

their cover of "Gone Daddy Gone" currently pwns a bit of my soul.

plus, their bandname is genius :up:

Similar to LMJ, I also prefer the second half (though the first half is still solid). 'Storm Coming' is possibly my favorite song on the album along with 'Crazy'.

I don't know how or why this is getting classified as hip hop other than because Cee Lo is involved, but he's really never been straight forward hip hop. There's a Violent Femmes cover for Pete's sake, hardly what I'd call "hip hop". I think the Mouse's beats on this really remind me of some of DJ Shadow's work, which also seems to mistakenly be called hip hop from time to time, though I think it's much more akin to Trip Hop or just basic electronica. Anyways, I'm really liking this album so far. Cee Lo's work is always quite consistanly good, as is Danger Mouse. Fun stuff.

Last edited:
I have to admit I really don't like them. I liked the sound of 'Crazy' so bought the single, once on iTunes then bought the CD for the B-side...then I ended up just hating it, not because I overplayed it but I just couldn't stand the chorus. The strings annoyed the hell out of me. I checked out the album to see if it was any better but sadly not my thing which surprised me given the fact that I've actually started enjoying that sort of thing over the last year or so...:huh:

its fine

like popmofo said, its somewhere between electrosoul beats and hiphop vocals. triphop often has that dramtic/sad or that acidjazzy feel, it´s not exactly triphop it reminds me of some very old house/soul records though, DJs were spinning that a lot in the 2step era. funny to see this sound back at the surface.

alternative charts here love gnarls barkley esp the crazy single.

just got this today as well... I heard a lot about it, but had to grab it after hearing Crazy.

By the way, Gnarls Barkley hahah.. awesome name.. anyone know why they chose it? The Bread Truck was my fave Bballer.

The album isn't like Crazy. It's got a lot of different sounds in it, and nothing else that sounds like Crazy.

there are 3 or 4 good Hip Hop/Rap songs.. which are very fresh, another couple of alternative rock songs, Gospel like singing, awesome use of samples and strings. Some of the songs are quite upbeat and dancy, while others are very dark and almost scary.

Hard album to describe, but I can't stop listening to it all day!

I heard part of Crazy on the radio the other week, and had read loads of reviews that were full of praise, so I bought the CD on the strength of those reviews.

Phew, I'm glad I like it! I got a little scared at first, because the first half wasn't doing much for me (other than "Crazy" and "Gone Daddy Gone"), but I thought it picked up in the second half.

I like odd little records like this.

My co-worker was trying to identify a song she liked, and I figured out that it was "Crazy". I was on my way out to lunch, and she asked me if I'd pick up a copy of the CD for her if I did any shopping. I got it, and I can hear it playing over at her desk. It sounds awesome! :drool:

I went to see them last night and they were awesome! They were dressed as Trapper John and the MDs. At least that's how Cee-Lo described it. :wink:

It was a great show. I think they did most of the album, and to a very appreciative audience.

martha said:
I went to see them last night and they were awesome! They were dressed as Trapper John and the MDs. At least that's how Cee-Lo described it. :wink:

It was a great show. I think they did most of the album, and to a very appreciative audience.

Sounds awesome. I sure do love Cee-Lo. You should all try out his solo CDs if you're really liking Gnarls Barkely, they're also enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom