give me suggestions on how to annoy a telemarketer - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2004, 11:33 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 04:12 AM
give me suggestions on how to annoy a telemarketer

ways to annoy a telemarketer...looking for some suggestions here for an article.

Old 08-15-2004, 12:16 AM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Use Ebaum's celebrity soundboards when answering.

Kiefer Sutherland from Phone Booth seems appropriate.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/soundboards.shtml

Old 08-15-2004, 12:22 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 11:12 PM
Seinfeld saves the day:

"TEL: Hi, would you be interested in switching over to TMI long distance service.
JERRY: Oh, gee, I can't talk right now. Why don't you give me your home number and I'll call you later.
TEL: Uh, I'm sorry we're not allowed to do that.
JERRY: Oh, I guess you don't want people calling you at home.
TEL: No.
JERRY: Well now you know how I feel. [Hangs up]"

...I'd never have the courage to do that myself though.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:33 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Please dont.

I work in a call center. We're just doing our jobs and you folks who do this kind of thing just make our day that much worse.

I've seen people cry every day at work because of the abuse they get from customers.

Besides, how would you feel if you came into my workplace for something and I told you off?

Please...we have to do this, it's our job, it's our way of making money to support ourselves and our families. If you don't want to listen then just say "Thanks, but I'm not interested right now. Have a nice day." and hang up. It's not difficult.

Old 08-15-2004, 12:34 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

TM: Would you be interesting in our home
security system?
Me: No not really
TM: What do you have to protect your home then?
Me: I have an ICBM silo in backyard,
laser guns, and a few shotguns.
Me: < hangs up>
Old 08-15-2004, 12:54 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
Please dont.

I work in a call center. We're just doing our jobs and you folks who do this kind of thing just make our day that much worse.

I've seen people cry every day at work because of the abuse they get from customers.

Besides, how would you feel if you came into my workplace for something and I told you off?

Please...we have to do this, it's our job, it's our way of making money to support ourselves and our families. If you don't want to listen then just say "Thanks, but I'm not interested right now. Have a nice day." and hang up. It's not difficult.

I used to be a telemarketer years ago. The pay and conditions were terrible. Rude comments from customers just added insult to injury. Remember, those folks are just trying to make a living, same as you.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:45 AM   #7
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:12 PM
Expand your resume. Truly. Make the telemarketer not want to talk to you. If they're selling security for the home, tell them you're a cop. If they're selling you a mortgage comparison, tell them you work in a bank yourself. If they're market researchers, tell them you work for one yourself and company policy means you cannot partake in anyone else's surveys. If they want donations and you are broke, tell them you just gave your allocated monthly amount to another organisation yesterday.
Always thank them, but hang up quickly.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:51 AM   #8
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 10:12 PM
For an article, eh....well I'll tell you of some old pranks a friend of mine and I used to play.

We were roommates and we'd get atleast one call a day, either for him or myself. My roommates name was Tom. If they'd call for him, I'd say, "Tom? No Tom lives here, you must mean Tome! Yes, let me get him for you." Then he'd pick up the phone and they'd say his name with whatever bizarre pronunciation I had just told them. He would then freak out on the phone and tell them that his name was Tom and that he refused to talk to anyone who couldnt get that right. Hilarity and laughter would then ensue from both he and I.

I dont know how many times I'd almost crack up when I'd randomly hear him yell "phone!" and I'd pick it up and hear a voice say, "Hi, is Treevoor there?" (my name is Trevor)

Good times
Old 08-15-2004, 03:17 AM   #9
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:12 PM
You dorks
Old 08-15-2004, 03:22 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

what DaveC said. i used to work as a telemarketer and i would come home in a bad mood.

but then again i used to get annoyed with telemarketers calling my home.

a little humor wouldnt hurt now and then.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:23 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

You, mofo (and Tom), rock.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:09 AM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
Please dont.

I am a telemarketer myself and I am writing a humorous piece that is all so no worries there. I write a 'zine on my spare time and thought that it would be funny to publish such article in fun since most of my readers know that I am a telemarketer.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:12 AM   #13
Refugee

The reason why I wanted to write a humorous article and get ideas to make those in call centers and telemarketers put a smile on their faces. We have all had to have the shit job so why not smile about it once in a while by some of the shit that gets pulled on us.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:12 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:12 AM
fart and ask if they can smell it
Old 08-15-2004, 03:56 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by isabelle_guns
The reason why I wanted to write a humorous article and get ideas to make those in call centers and telemarketers put a smile on their faces. We have all had to have the shit job so why not smile about it once in a while by some of the shit that gets pulled on us.
I'm sorry I misunderstood you. To make up for it, I will offer something that happened to me once during my telemarketing stint. One day I made my usual sales pitch and the person I was calling listened to the whole thing and asked "Is this a machine?" "No," I said. "Good!" he replied. And hung up.