Girls & Boys & Communist Sun God Worshippers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I've admitted this in here before, but I really, really dislike romantic comedies. :reject:

I think for the most part, they're unrealistic, cheesy, and kind of stupid. :lol: I dislike the super sappy romantic movies like The Notebook even more though. :madwife:

Of course romantic comedies are unrealistic :lol: But hey we watch films like Transformers and Star Trek and never think to say "That's not realistic". I think Romantic Comedies are unfairly treated in that regard; they don't have to be realistic, they're just for enjoyment.

Of course romantic comedies are unrealistic :lol: But hey we watch films like Transformers and Star Trek and never think to say "That's not realistic". I think Romantic Comedies are unfairly treated in that regard; they don't have to be realistic, they're just for enjoyment.

:yes:

Even a lot of biographical films turn out unrealistic. :wink:

I really can't think of a film that is realistic

I mean people will complain if a character is not a role-model, even though most people aren't

But people don't believe that there will be giant robots to help us fight aliens. People do believe in love, and when they see those kinds of movies, it can lead to unrealistic expectations in relationships. :wink:

But people don't believe that there will be giant robots to help us fight aliens. People do believe in love, and when they see those kinds of movies, it can lead to unrealistic expectations in relationships. :wink:

But romantic comedy moments do happen...sometimes...

The first kiss I had with Dani sounds like something out of a bad romance :lol:

:wave: Guys.

I dislike romcom's too, Cassie, I think they're all about society's expectations and pandering to them. The relationships are always unrealistic, as are the characters, and there are so many people out there who think their life is bad if it's not working out like how they do in these films.
I can think of some realistic films - This is England, now that's bloody good :up: It all depends on how its filmed and the dialogue though, doesn't it?

But romantic comedy moments do happen...sometimes...

The first kiss I had with Dani sounds like something out of a bad romance :lol:

I'll spare you both a long post about love but I agree with John. In fact, things can happen that are many times :cute: -er than what you see in the movies. :)

I agree, but when people expect their entire lives to play out like a movie, that's when it's a problem. Trust me, I sincerely hope that everybody finds someone as perfect for them as it would be in a movie, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

I dislike romcom's too, Cassie, I think they're all about society's expectations and pandering to them. The relationships are always unrealistic, as are the characters, and there are so many people out there who think their life is bad if it's not working out like how they do in these films.
I can think of some realistic films - This is England, now that's bloody good :up: It all depends on how its filmed and the dialogue though, doesn't it?

:up: You explained my position better than I was myself. :wink:

:wave: How are you today?

Emma :wave:

Everything is unrealistic to some extent though and also you have to always keep in mind film's aren't about the average person, they're about the one in a million people that this sort of thing happens to. I think the problem is films try to say "It could happen to anyone" when it only happens to so few people

I'll spare you both a long post about love but I agree with John. In fact, things can happen that are many times :cute: -er than what you see in the movies. :)

Because they're not supposed to happen in real life :wink:

I agree, but when people expect their entire lives to play out like a movie, that's when it's a problem. Trust me, I sincerely hope that everybody finds someone as perfect for them as it would be in a movie, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

The problem is movies always end in the middle of the new-love stage and the relationships never develop past that, so it all seems so perfect :lol:

Emma :wave:

Everything is unrealistic to some extent though and also you have to always keep in mind film's aren't about the average person, they're about the one in a million people that this sort of thing happens to. I think the problem is films try to say "It could happen to anyone" when it only happens to so few people

I know this, but I don't watch them more out of principle I suppose. I've just seen so many girls, my current roommate included, who put on these horrifically cheesy movies when they're all depressed about how they have no boyfriend, then proceed to wallow in their sorrows. It's kind of pathetic to watch some people stoop to that level. I know that all people who watch them aren't like that, but a lot are.

:wave: everyone, how are you all doing?

There's just something about Romcom's which grate on me - like Justin said, amazing things which happen in real life tend to be much more amazing than in fims - because they're actually happening in real life.

The problem is movies always end in the middle of the new-love stage and the relationships never develop past that, so it all seems so perfect :lol:

Very true. :yes: Don't get take your expectations from those movies, like Emma said. I think the emotion you take from those films are very good though. Love Actually for example, should leave you with a sense of magic to love. That's a great feeling to have. :)

I know this, but I don't watch them more out of principle I suppose. I've just seen so many girls, my current roommate included, who put on these horrifically cheesy movies when they're all depressed about how they have no boyfriend, then proceed to wallow in their sorrows. It's kind of pathetic to watch some people stoop to that level. I know that all people who watch them aren't like that, but a lot are.

Yeah you've got a real point; I mean people watch them thinking "That's going to happen to me, one day it will"; which is a really bad attitude to have. I mean people really do need to get real and deal with life, and realise that even if they were to find a movie like romance it ain't gonna happen by sitting around being depressed moping about how you want one

Very true. :yes: Don't get take your expectations from those movies, like Emma said. I think the emotion you take from those films are very good though. Love Actually for example, should leave you with a sense of magic to love. That's a great feeling to have. :)

I adore Love Actually, I think I love how it's not about traditional things happening and doesn't have one linear plot (although, admittedly, some of the stories in it are a bit like that...) it's more about finding your own happiness, whatever the situation, and it's just a great Christmas film :D

Hey Flybabe :wave:

That thread about the new song is annoying me, some people can't handle others having opinions...

I'm doing really well. I'm working on my Secret Santa playlist which I truly hope my person likes. :hyper: Maybe too much effort is being put into it. :lol:

How are you? :)

Haha I think I'm putting too much effort into mine too... I've also COMPLETELY ignored the sort of music the person has requested :lol: I really want to know who everyone has :shifty:
I'm good too, thanks :up:

:wave: Hey FB.

I adore Love Actually, I think I love how it's not about traditional things happening and doesn't have one linear plot (although, admittedly, some of the stories in it are a bit like that...) it's more about finding your own happiness, whatever the situation, and it's just a great Christmas film :D

:yes: It is one of my favorite films from this decade. What a cast too! :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom