Girl interrupted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
This weekend I watched Girl Interrupted.

There’s always been a high expectation of what we as women are supposed to be. In the 60's Society thought that we were supposed to be married, pop out children, cook dinner, clean the house, and keep opinions to ourselves. Even though a lot has changed from the 60's, most of those stereo types still linger.

Besides society’s expectations of what is expected in terms of being a women, there are the psychological expectations of what it is to be normal. There is no real definition of "normal" however, if you don't fit within the box standards, you're either considered weird or disagnosed as mentally ill and therefor you need to be hospitalized.

The story is of a young girl named Susanna Kaysen who checks herself in after chasing a handful of Aprins with a bottle of wine. Realistically, who hasn't thought of suicide in their life at one point or another? But does that make us mentally ill? I've been off and on again suicidal for years but does that mean that I need to be committed to a mental institution? As the movie progressed, I realized that it wasn't Susanna Kaysen that was sick; it was the other characters around her and the doctors themselves that had distortions and issues of their own.

Watching the film made me realize how patronizing hospitals can be and that doctors don't know everything. What the fuck is "Boarder-line personality disorder" anyway? The movie didn't really answer that question but it did shine some light that it's apparently not okay to be one of those thinking outside the box. Toby, played by Jared Leto, said it best to Susanna, "you're normal, you don't need to be here."

I understood and sympathized why Susanne didn't want to leave with Toby, she actually felt like she belonged with a group that she could call her friends.

What made the movie was the acting of all the characters from the self indulgent Lisa Rowe, played by Angelina Jolie, to the low self esteem Daisy Randone, played by Brittany Murphy. I was convinced that each actor was that character. I saw myself in each mental patient. We have all been depressed, under appreciated, felt ugly, been shy, have had unhealthy eating habits, been scared of something, wanted to be the attention whore or the aggressor.

I am not surprised that Angelina Jolie won the Academy Award, she stole the show.

I was unsure of renting this movie for Josh and I 'cause I dismissed this movie as a chick flick at first. After the rave reviews from others at Rogers, I picked up the movie. This has been one of the best movies I have seen so far this year and I'm wondering why I hadn't seen this movie before.

Borderline Personality Disorder:

"A person with a borderline personality disorder often experiences a repetitive pattern of disorganization and instability in self-image, mood, behavior and close personal relationships. This can cause significant distress or impairment in friendships and work. A person with this disorder can often be bright and intelligent, and appear warm, friendly and competent. They sometimes can maintain this appearance for a number of years until their defense structure crumbles, usually around a stressful situation like the breakup of a romantic relationship or the death of a parent."

More here: http://www.stanford.edu/~corelli/borderline.html

HelloAngel said:
Borderline Personality Disorder:

"A person with a borderline personality disorder often experiences a repetitive pattern of disorganization and instability in self-image, mood, behavior and close personal relationships. This can cause significant distress or impairment in friendships and work. A person with this disorder can often be bright and intelligent, and appear warm, friendly and competent. They sometimes can maintain this appearance for a number of years until their defense structure crumbles, usually around a stressful situation like the breakup of a romantic relationship or the death of a parent."

More here: http://www.stanford.edu/~corelli/borderline.html

thank you for that love

To go with what Isabelle said....in the movie Susana wondered aloud what exactly BPD was to and she looked up the definition and read it out loud to the other girls, saying "Well, that's definetly me." Jolie's character gives her the :eyebrow: and says, "That's everybody."

As with what bonosgirl said, I would reccomend reading the book...it's very good.

Really good post, Isabelle.

isabelle_guns said:
There’s always been a high expectation of what we as women are supposed to be. In the 60's Society thought that we were supposed to be married, pop out children, cook dinner, clean the house, and keep opinions to ourselves. Even though a lot has changed from the 60's, most of those stereo types still linger.

Besides society’s expectations of what is expected in terms of being a women, there are the psychological expectations of what it is to be normal. There is no real definition of "normal" however, if you don't fit within the box standards, you're either considered weird or disagnosed as mentally ill and therefor you need to be hospitalized.

You said some very important things in your post, Isabelle, especially the second paragraph here. I completely agree that even now, when women have so much freedom, stereotypes still linger. I've felt it accutely when asked why I don't have and don't want to have children and in the way people respond to my answer. Just one example, I guess.

I've only seen the second half of that movie while flipping around on the television. I definitely would like to see it in its entirety.

I saw the film when it came out, and I just happened to get a copy of the book from our library last week.

Re: Re: Girl interrupted

HeartlandGirl said:
I've felt it accutely when asked why I don't have and don't want to have children and in the way people respond to my answer. Just one example, I guess.

That has also been my experience. It maddens me that I am considered out of my league as a woman to more "Traditional" types just because I have eschewed marriage and children until I feel I want to do either of those things. They balk at me when I say that neither one has ever been something I want to do in this lifetime. All I've ever wanted to be was happy and satisfied, you know? And a career and life with my boyfriend (and our cats) is satisfying. I could go on for days here - but sometimes, just sometimes, I get the balls to throw it back to my more "Traditional" girlfriends who have all this college education and dreams under their belts but they choose to be stay-at-home moms instead - only to complain to me in private how they wish they had pursued their career dreams. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom