Giggleswick Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:
OK, so, one of the three more PT songs I'm sending is Waiting (Phase One). It's from 1996's Signify album, and is probably the most conventional song there. I think it sounds really great, and Ali thinks some of the guitarwork is especially Edge-like. I can't say I disagree with her.

:applaud: :bow: :hyper: :kiss: :hug:

gluey said:
ooh the clapping (it is clapping isn't it) bit during Trains is different! This is really cool!

Yep, it's clapping. You know how I mentioned the band didn't think it would work live? The clapping is what made it work. The audience got totally into it.

The performance of it on the Arriving Somewhere DVD is hilarious. Steven Wilson snaps a guitar string and they don't edit it out. He jokes with the crowd about how they will edit it out ("We were doing so well! We'll edit that part out. Where was I standing?"), and it's actually one of the best moments of the show.

Axver said:

Yep, it's clapping. You know how I mentioned the band didn't think it would work live? The clapping is what made it work. The audience got totally into it.

The performance of it on the Arriving Somewhere DVD is hilarious. Steven Wilson snaps a guitar string and they don't edit it out. He jokes with the crowd about how they will edit it out ("We were doing so well! We'll edit that part out. Where was I standing?"), and it's actually one of the best moments of the show.

:lol: I love that sort of stuff!

The second of the three songs I'm sending is Even Less. It's the opening track from the Stupid Dream album. This is actually only the first half; the full version is 14 minutes long and featured solely on the rarities collection Recordings. I'd send that if the file size weren't so huge, but the first half is quality.

My favourite part, unfortunately, is on the second half:
Fuck you and your book too
You can have it back
When I'm gone these songs will be my tracks
I had a stupid dream that I could change things
But I'm a martyr to even less ...

The original demo version of the song, which I am trying desperately to find, has this alternate chorus that I love:
God is worshipped for doing nothing
And Jesus was crucified for even less

And the third I'm sending is Lazarus, from 2005's Deadwing. I remember when I first heard it, I played it on repeat about 20 times in a row. It's just absolutely gorgeously beautiful.

I often describe it as being "something like what Coldplay would make if they were actually a good band".

Axver said:
And the third I'm sending is Lazarus, from 2005's Deadwing. I remember when I first heard it, I played it on repeat about 20 times in a row. It's just absolutely gorgeously beautiful.

I often describe it as being "something like what Coldplay would make if they were actually a good band".

:ohmy:

&

:lmao:

Axver said:

:ohmy: I have that song.

Ashley sent it to me. She's ruining my anti-indie cred :tsk:

gluey said:

:ohmy: That's really cool! How did you find them?

One of my friends from a messageboard that no longer exists is right into progressive rock and metal. He introduced me to Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree.

I've kinda moved on from Dream Theater, at least from their post-1997 stuff, but Porcupine Tree's become my favourite band.

gluey said:
Ax - 40715 (23.14 posts per day)
:bow:

Holy shit, I've broken the 23 posts per day barrier! Last time somebody posted my daily rate, I think I was going at about 22.7.

Have we ever been here before?
Running headlong at the floor
Leave me dreaming on a railway track
Wrap me up and send me back

- PT, Pure Narcotic

:drool:

gluey said:

Threads not over yet. I've absolutely creamed my previous postwhoring attempts!

gluey 138
Axver 90
major_panic 65

We own.

My friend who introduced me to Porcupine Tree was at their concert in Houston last year. His favourite PT song is Waiting (Phase One), but the band hadn't played it for years - I think at least eight years. To I think everyone's immense shock, they began their encore with it.

His first remark to me on AIM after the gig was "in that moment, I could have made hot, sweaty manlove to Steven Wilson".

Axver said:
My friend who introduced me to Porcupine Tree was at their concert in Houston last year. His favourite PT song is Waiting (Phase One), but the band hadn't played it for years - I think at least eight years. To I think everyone's immense shock, they began their encore with it.

His first remark to me on AIM after the gig was "in that moment, I could have made hot, sweaty manlove to Steven Wilson".

:yikes: That's saying something!!! :lmao:

Axver said:
:lol:

Though who's Ashley?
bono_212 :tongue:

I've gotten so used to calling her by her name, that I forget that not everyone knows her by it.

She's coming to see me on Friday :hyper: She's gonna pilfer through my music collection, I've got some vinyls I'm gonna give her, and then I'm gonna make her watch PopMart (she's never seen it!) Should be fun :)

gluey said:
Where did Ian go?? Is he watching Coronation Street or something?

Well, he thinks league is better than union and planes are better than trains, so I wouldn't be surprised if he also thinks Coronation Street is better than postwhoring. :tsk:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

I've gotten so used to calling her by her name, that I forget that not everyone knows her by it.

She's coming to see me on Friday :hyper: She's gonna pilfer through my music collection, I've got some vinyls I'm gonna give her, and then I'm gonna make her watch PopMart (she's never seen it!) Should be fun :)

:ohmy: Oooh dangerous times!

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Ahh, right. Yeah, I didn't know her name.

And she hasn't seen Popmart?! Wow. She probably hasn't seen the Lovetown Sydney doco either. :tsk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom