Getting into Bob Dylan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
I'm currently trying to get into Bob Dylan. Besides getting his Essentials CD as a primer, can any of you give me any advice on what other records of his to get, and your thoughts on him? Thanks!! :heart:

Highway 61 Revisited.

Especially for tracks 1 (Like a Rolling Stone), 3 (It takes a lot to laugh, it takes a train to cry) and track 5 (Ballad of a Thin Man)

Depends on what you want. If you want the more rock side, go for Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde, or Bringing It All Back Home (which is half folk). The Freewheelin Bob Dylan is his best folk album and Blood on the Tracks is his best singer/somgwriter album.

His new stuff is also great but I would go for Love and Theft over Time out of Mind as it is more fun.

Sorry, kind of a long list for a beginner. :wink:

bit difficult getting into dylan really

i mean you could see his insides quite readily from any handy bio textbook

ok i have nothing constructive to say, except i like 'tangled up in blue' a lot.

My first two Dylan albums were Like A Rolling Stone and Love and Theft, and to be honest, it took me a while to get into more than a few songs.

Blood On the Tracks is the album that really turned me on to him. It's his most consistent and accessible. I'd start there.

i shall be released is a fucking genius of a song. I still have a bit of trouble with his voice.. hopefully i can get over that.

Highway 61 Revisited all the way. Can't stand Blonde on Blonde personally. Desire is another personal favorite. Blood on the Tracks is essential.

Since Dylan has released so many (good) albums, many people will give different suggestions.

So, apart from
- Bringing It All Back Home (as said, half folk, half rock, including Mr. Tambourine Man, Maggie's Farm and Subterranean Homesick Blues)
- Highway 61 Revisited (great folk rock with Like A Rolling Stone, Ballad Of A Thin Man and Desolation Row)
- Blonde On Blonde (described by himself as the closes he got to the sound in his head with I Want You and Rainy Day Women Nos. 12 & 35)
- Blood On The Tracks (I have to confess I don't have this one, but Tangled Up In Blue is great, while Idiot Wind is extremely bitter)
- Time Out Of Mind (Dylan's voice is gone, but the heartache remains, with Love Sick, Cold Irons Bound and Not Dark Yet)

I also want to recommend Oh Mercy. It's the first time he collaborated with Daniel Lanois and has some wonderful songs on them, like Most Of The Time, Ring Them Bells and What Good Am I?

C ya!

Marty

All those named plus The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan. It's a great, great album and one of my favorites with some of his great classics like Blowing In The Wind, A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall and the great and amazing Masters Of War!!!! :drool: Amazing lyrics!!! :bow:

Last edited:
if I could recommend only one Bob Dylan album and it couldn't be a greatest hits or any other kind of compilation........I'd definitely have to say that Bringing It All Back Home is the best.......without a doubt

Xavier

I used to be what one might term a Dylanologist--I own all of his albums and have read obsessively about the guy. Speaking of which, everyone should read his book-great stuff.

To get into him, I recommend:

-Blood on the Tracks. This album starts out with "Tangled Up In Blue" which is one of the greatest songs ever written. It's catchy and melodic and folky, so it's a great introduction to folk-Dylan.

I would follow that up with The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan which has Blowin' in the Wind, A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall, and The Girl From the North Country, which are all beautiful songs.

Then go on to "Bringin' It All Back Home," which is my personal favorite Dylan album. It has Mr. Tambourine Man, which is one of Dylan's most famous and in my opinion, greatest songs. Of course, it also has Subterranean Homesick Blues (from which the infamous Weatherman got their name --"you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." Also, Maggie's Farm and It's All Over Now Baby Blue are on this album.....

of course "Highway 61 Revisited" is the Dylan goes electric and betrays folk music album, that has Like a Rolling Stone on it. Other than that song, I really don't love this album. "Blonde On Blonde" was Dylan's follow up to Highway 61 and it's a million times better in my never humble opinion.

"John Wesley Harding" has my all-time favorite Dylan song on it, "Drifter's Escape" and it also has All Along the Watchtower, which everyone here knows b/c of Rattle & Hum. I like "Nashville Skyline," because it's kinda warm and mellow, although the only famous song off of it is "Lay Lady Lay."

Dylan's last 2 albums, Time out of Mind and Love and Theft are fantastic in a way that he couldn't have been when he was 25, so I'd recommend those as well....Dylan is just brilliant and I could type and type forever about his stunning lyrics and which songs on every album are great.

I would stay away from Desire, Saved, Shot Of Love, and Infidels--I think that's probably his weakest period.

whew. much love for Dylan. :heart: :heart: :heart:

tennispunk said:

I would stay away from Desire, Saved, Shot Of Love, and Infidels--I think that's probably his weakest period.

I really like Desire. :shrug: But I was already a huge fan when I got it.

And I agree that Tangled Up in Blue is just one of the best songs ever written. I can still sing every word. What a geek. :reject:

I just found the Essentials CD at Wal Mart for $15! :happy:

Tangled up in Blue :drool: (Remember when U2 thanked him for this at the 1988 Grammys?)

Back
Top Bottom