get well Leander Paes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
ORLANDO, Florida (AFP) - India's Leander Paes, long one of the world's best doubles players and winner of the 2003 Wimbledon mixed doubles title with Martina Navratilova, has been hospitalized with a brain lesion.

Paes checked himself into the emergency room of a hospital near his home on Sunday after suffering from severe headaches for three days, and on Tuesday was admitted to the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Orlando, a statement from the Anderson Center said.

According to the statement, multiple tests are being conducted to determine the specific cause of the lesion, and results are expected within a few days. A brain tumor hasn't been ruled out.

"Leander and his family are trying to cope with this sudden setback, and family members are en route to the United States," the statement said. "Leander's father, Doctor Vece Paes, states that all the good wishes and prayers by his fans are appreciated."

The news, less than a week before the start of the US Open, the final grand slam of the season, came as a shock to those in the tennis world.

"We are investigating it," ATP spokesperson Robin Hutchinson said Tuesday night. "We have nothing to say at the moment. We heard the news but we cannot confirm anything."

Linda Dozoretz, spokesperson for Navratilova, said Tuesday night the tennis legend had known Paes was unwell because he withdrew from a charity doubles appearance with her. But she said Navratilova had not known the nature of the ailment.

Paes and Navratilova last month won the mixed doubles title at Wimbledon, earning her a record-tying 20th championship at the All England Club.

Paes and Navratilova also won the mixed doubles title at the Australian Open in January.

Paes has won 27 men's doubles titles, his triumphs in the 1999 and 2001 French Opens and the 1999 Wimbledon coming with longtime partner Mahesh Bhupathi.

Good news. :)

Paes could be back on pro tour in three months

By MIKE SCHNEIDER, Associated Press Writer
August 25, 2003

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Wimbledon mixed doubles champion Leander Paes should be released from the hospital within three weeks and might be back on the pro tour in as soon as three months after treatment for a parasitic infection.

``It's just a matter of time until I overcome this illness,'' Paes said Monday at a news conference at the cancer center where he's being treated. ``There are times in the day when I get dizzy ... and feel very lightheaded. I have to have 24-hour monitoring.''

It originally was feared he might have a brain tumor.

Paes, a 30-year-old player from India, said he isn't sure how he got the parasite. It usually comes from pork, which he doesn't eat.

He first noticed symptoms while playing at Wimbledon with Martina Navratilova, also his partner for the mixed doubles title at the Australian Open this year.

``I actually came up to hit a smash, and when I landed on the ground, something must have shaken inside my brain because I lost all sight. I lost all control of my balance and I was falling down,'' he said. ``I caught Martina and I tried to hold her for stability.''

He had severe headaches last week and was hospitalized. Paes is missing the U.S. Open, which started Monday.

``I am sad that I can't be at the U.S. Open but these are the obstacles that life throws at you,'' he said. ``I'm very blessed that what could have happened -- the brain tumor -- didn't happen.''

Back
Top Bottom