Get ready to shell out more for Star Wars - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2006, 04:37 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
A lot of people early on in the thread overlooked the good news about them re-releasing the original versions of the trilogy.

There are so many people out there (myself included) who would like to own the original trilogy in its original, theatrical, un-spiffed-up, non-spliced format. They were such a great cinamatic achievement in special effects for the time they were released, and I'm glad I waited until now to buy the originals on DVD.
Why do you want the originals uncut, and unspiffed up? And how old were you when you saw them? Just testing a theory..

Old 05-23-2006, 08:23 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k

Why do you want the originals uncut, and unspiffed up? And how old were you when you saw them? Just testing a theory..
I was around 6 when I first saw them in the early 90s over a year or two.

And I'd like the originals for the same reason that I would keep the original Jaws over a re-release adding a CGI shark, additional scenes, and special features. For the same reason I'd keep the original Bladerunner director's cut over a re-release. I can overlook an obviously blue-screened Messerschmitt in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade because it's a great film on its own.

The original Star Wars films were fine, and were previously avaliable in good quality only on Laserdisc. Now I can own them on DVD - specifically one side of the disc will be the Special Edition, and the other the Original Theatrical version.

You're getting the best of both worlds anyway.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:48 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:51 AM
Ok, a lot of older fans like myself want it for sentimental reasons. I saw those movies when I was 11 and 13. And like you said, it was before the CGI and showed the ingenuity of early special effects people.

Lucas doesn't understand that films, like music, are time capsules which put people in a time of their life or he doesn't care. Plus what about those people who worked to create those primitive effects on film who won accolades at the time for their revolutionary work. Apparently, Lucas feels their contribution to filmmaking should be ignored and only his vision of the film should be allowed for future generations. I got my widescreen originals already so Lucas can suck eggs.

Oh, and then everyone has to wait for the blu-ray or HD-dvd versions too.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:45 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:21 AM
Good God, don't even get me thinking about HD/Blueray BS. They've fucked both formats over with the inadequate first-gen players, manditory digital rights management in 2010, and other stumbles.

I'll definetly be under the 'late-adopter' crowd for next-gen DVD, and will probably only buy ROTJ HD for obvious Princess Boobular reasons.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:50 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:21 AM
I'm all for the originals being released without any altering whatsoever. But to use the same source that was used for the laserdisc back in 1993, and to not even have them in anamorphic widescreen, is an absolute tragedy. I want him to release them, but I want him to release them in the best possibe way.

This is not it.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:00 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:21 AM
I heard these are actually going to mimic the theatrical releases........so they won't match up with the "original" VHS tapes either (pretty much everything from the 80's through the mid-90's THX release)......shouldn't be too many differences, although the most noticeable is that "A New Hope" doesn't have an "Episode ___" title......