Germany vs. USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sharky said:
argh! and that almost goal by the US at the very end was soooooo close. oh well. I'm proud of my boys. The US team did a great job this year and I can't wait to see what happens in four years. As for the World Cup itself, I think there are alot of Americans-- myself included-- that are finally started to figure out how cool this soccer thing is.

Which almost goal...the first one in the first half at point-blank range by Donovan, the second one in the first half at point-blank range by Donovan, the volley by Berhalter that was saved by Kahn and a defender on the goal line (the ball brushed the defender's arm, but you can't really blame the ref for missing it as it happened so quickly), or the header by Sanneh in the 90th minute that went inches wide of the post?

Yeah, way to go USA. As for fouling, what about Torsten Frings' hand-ball? Revenge for Mexico, I guess. Anyway, USA played great today, they kept the pressure up and if it hadn't been for Oliver Kahn they'd have won it comprehensively. Hopefully in four years they'll come just as far, if not further.

speedracer said:
The US dirty? Not more than most teams.

And for a team that was supposedly bigger, stronger and physically superior, the Germans seemed to go down awfully easily after contact...

too true

Germany played a great game and I'm not taking anything away from them

But they went down like women, it was almost embarrasing to watch some of those dives.

that's football sometimes , just gotta deal with it. America has nothing to be ashamed of.

Except for the MLS lol

blah. Nothing much to say... Germany did take tons of dives but that's no excuse for their win I know. Damn that missed hand ball! But good game U.S.!! I'm proud of our boys!! :):):)
feck I wish they woulda beat em though.

Couldn't watch the whole match...just some bits of it. I'm more like a zombie this morning, after our match against England, the whole night awake and having to work after that, but....I was routing for USA. Too bad they won't go any further, but it was a good and decent campaign, you guys must be proud of your team and players...Some good surprises in the near future, maybe? ;)

According to that definition teh germans must be aamazing they managed to chase teh ball while laying on the ground for half the game

AM said:
definition of soccer:

2 teams, 22 players are chasing a ball over a big field.....

..... and Germany wins

:tongue:

lol @ arun's take on the def of soccer!

i am very proud of our team! we anticipated a tough match but did not back down, we took it to them! i have great hopes for our team in 2006! we are still climbing, we have alot of young talent and i truly believe its only a matter of time.

about frings handball, that was not revenge for the mexico call, bad calls happen in all professional sports, so its no different here. refs are human and are not expected to be at every foul, every play of every minute of a match.
USA!USA!USA! USA!USA!USA! USA!USA!USA!

have to post our flag!! woohoo!
10100142l.jpg

Last edited:
Arun V said:
According to that definition teh germans must be aamazing they managed to chase teh ball while laying on the ground for half the game

Actually Arun, Mani remarks are about correct, USA was lucky to finish the game with 11 men, but you will not see Germany complain about rudeness, and you most know that if some players in the world don't dive, those are the Germans, USA played the kind of game they needed , same as Germany, they don't have a fancy team as in the past but this guys have a lot of patience, and confidence in their game. The game was won with the team that was more accurate, experience counts.
Oliver Kahn is remarkable.
The remark of AM, actually was done by Gary Lineker.
I guess the world press most be happy that Brazil and Germany, teams that were not conted as favorites, are in the semis, while the fancy Argentina, France and England are out. History counts.
For the part of England I guess their only consolation is thet this time it wasn't Germany or Argentina the ones that eliminated them.

sparkys girl said:
i am very proud of our team! we anticipated a tough match but did not back down, we took it to them! i have great hopes for our team in 2006! we are still climbing, we have alot of young talent and i truly believe its only a matter of time.

:yes:

and

:sexywink:

rafmed said:

I guess the world press most be happy that Brazil and Germany, teams that were not conted as favorites, are in the semis, while the fancy Argentina, France and England are out. History

I actually wanted to see Germany and England in the finals.

And yes, it was Gary Linecker who said this. Great player!

sparkys girl said:

about frings handball, that was not revenge for the mexico call, bad calls happen in all professional sports, so its no different here. refs are human and are not expected to be at every foul, every play of every minute of a match.

You deserve the Fair Play trophy, trully sportmanship, or is it sportwomanship? ;)

rafmed said:

Actually Arun, Mani remarks are about correct, USA was lucky to finish the game with 11 men, but you will not see Germany complain about rudeness, and you most know that if some players in the world don't dive, those are the Germans, USA played the kind of game they needed , same as Germany, they don't have a fancy team as in the past but this guys have a lot of patience, and confidence in their game. The game was won with the team that was more accurate, experience counts.

Hogwash.

The US did foul Germany a large number of times, but about as often as the US fouled Germany, German players were going down after being brushed on the shoulder. And the US isn't going to complain about the refereeing, because the ref did a great job of not calling fouls on those plays.

And Claudio Reyna's foul on Jens Jeremies? Perhaps red cardable, but Jeremies absolutely wrestled Reyna down in the box, leading to Reyna's retaliation. (Interestingly enough, Reyna and Jeremies were seen embracing after the game.)

Congratulations to Germany though, they dominated the air and converted on their chances. We didn't.

well said speed

did the germans dive a lot...yes

but hey...it's a game and the one thing the world cup should do it promote unity

and If the US had to lose...I'm glad it was to germany

speedracer said:

Hogwash.

The US did foul Germany a large number of times, but about as often as the US fouled Germany, German players were going down after being brushed on the shoulder. And the US isn't going to complain about the refereeing, because the ref did a great job of not calling fouls on those plays.

And Claudio Reyna's foul on Jens Jeremies? Perhaps red cardable, but Jeremies absolutely wrestled Reyna down in the box, leading to Reyna's retaliation. (Interestingly enough, Reyna and Jeremies were seen embracing after the game.)

Congratulations to Germany though, they dominated the air and converted on their chances. We didn't.

A few of the US players are a bit too fond of their American Football tackles methinks.

Anyway, having said that they did play well, Germany didnt play brilliantly, but won again, and have only conceded 1 goal in 5 matches. They'll be hard to stop.

rafmed said:

You deserve the Fair Play trophy, trully sportmanship, or is it sportwomanship? ;)

thanks raffie! (can i call you raffie?) i just love futbol, sure when the wc comes around everyone takes their respective sides, but otherwise i could care less who wins, i just like to see a good, hard fought match.

*sits patiently waiting for her trophy* ;)

This article made me giggle. :lol: What do the rest of you Americans think? Pretty much on or no?

Go ahead, jump on the bandwagon
By Mark Kreidler
Special to ESPN.com

First things first: We're not Italy. We do not collapse in spasms of shame and fits of finger-pointing when our futbol team coughs up a hairball in an important global match, this for two very good reasons:
1) We do not care for and cannot correctly use in a sentence the word "futbol."

2) Ain't no big thing.

In other words, if the U.S. men had bombed out of the World Cup in the first round, they would have returned to the States to deal with a level of blame and bitter recrimination that would be, let's see here, something very close to completely undetectable in the national sports dialogue.

As it is, they've been advancing like crazy, to the point of meeting world soccer legend Germany in the Cup quarterfinals Friday, where they finally lost 1-0. And so they can expect upon returning to be welcomed and celebrated and feted on "Letterman" and, if they're incredibly lucky, brought one at a time onto the set of "Mohr Sports" to revisit their moments of glory. There may even be a People magazine profile in their collective future.

What can you say? We're Americans. Jumping on the bandwagon is what we do.

And here's the inherent problem with that: Nothing.

Let us rise today in staunch defense of the 'wagon. It's the best thing going. We are American sports geeks, after all. We go from baseball to football to hockey and basketball without losing a single day from the calendar. There is no off-season. It's a big, wide sporting landscape out there, and the bandwagon is the only mode of transportation that ultimately makes sense.

We're straight across the board in the major team sports, and still we find time to send the U.S. Open telecast into Nielsen heaven -- but only if Tiger Woods has a chance to win. If that's frontrunning, then all hail the lead dog.

The bandwagon approach has several things going for it. Foremost among them is that it is not necessary, strictly speaking, to understand the game in question, and since this is American sports and not the Middle East peace talks, being not entirely clued in doesn't strike you as the worst thing you could say about a recent convert.

This phenomenon is not limited to sports, by the way. Anybody think Kenneth Lay gets millions of dollars to the good without the unbridled enthusiasm of a bandwagon market of stock-buyers who did not, and do not now, understand what Enron's business actually was? The man could've delivered his company's reports in Senegalese and not been questioned.

An article about the upcoming U.S.-Germany match in Thursday's Los Angeles Times contained the following sentence: "The battle probably will be won and lost in midfield, which should be quite crowded because both teams favor a 3-5-2 formation."

I think I speak for bandwagon-jumpers everywhere when I say, "Ah, the old 3-5-2. My locker combination in junior high." But what is important, here and now, is that it doesn't matter in the slightest whether or not we catch the specifics. If full knowledge of soccer's intricacies might enhance our viewing pleasure somewhat, basic ignorance is no disqualifier on the 'wagon. We're talking soccer, not the solution to world hunger. They get a ball close to the goal, you lean forward in your seat. They score, you pump a clenched fist. We can do that.

Rooting for a hot U.S. team on a world stage is the easiest thing imaginable. It takes no specialized area of sports knowledge. There were people who celebrated Bruce Jenner in the decathlon despite being unsure, at their core, just exactly how many events the thing entailed, not to mention the difference between track and field. No big whoop.

Olympians like Jenner (or Mark Spitz, Carl Lewis, Michael Johnson or Marion Jones) provide the useful comparison here. Generally speaking, they can go years between American public acknowledgements, years of unsung training and of being celebrated at meets on the European continent while being almost wholly ignored at home. Then they pop up as the favorites in Atlanta or Sydney or Athens, and the U.S. collectively rides them like Secretariat down the home stretch.

And that is exactly what is great about being a sports fan here: having the luxury to so casually and occasionally indulge the emotion in any one area. If France goes out of the World Cup ignobly and prematurely, it is very accurately characterized as a national disgrace, because soccer is the sport of the nation. The same goes for Italy, for Brazil, for Mexico, for England -- look, it's soccer or bust on whole sections of the planet.

Americans get pummeled every few years for knowing and caring so little about the "world's game," but that's the world's problem, not ours. We're the nation with an embarrassing array of options, and that is a blessing that will never be confused with a curse. The U.S. loses to Germany on Friday, we'll get up from the table, walk across the room and check the box scores to see if Luis Castillo kept that hit streak going for the Marlins.

And if the U.S. would have won? We'd have done exactly as the universe would have expected us to: with full-force fawning, lionize a group of players about whom we know not a heck of a lot (see: Women's World Cup, circa 1999) and wonder which American will be the one tapped for the guest shot on "Alias" next fall.

If that's the bandwagon effect, we'll be right up front with the foam finger and the spray-painted faux Statue of Liberty crown. It doesn't have to work for any other country. It works for us.

rafmed said:

Oliver Kahn is remarkable.
The remark of AM, actually was done by Gary Lineker.
I guess the world press most be happy that Brazil and Germany, teams that were not conted as favorites, are in the semis, while the fancy Argentina, France and England are out. History counts.
For the part of England I guess their only consolation is thet this time it wasn't Germany or Argentina the ones that eliminated them.

I've read some shit in my time, but that little lot does take the biscuit! I don't know what information they feed you there in Mexico, but I think you need to get out a bit more!

And as for the game today, at least Italy now know where their quota of luck has gone!

bullet the blue sky said:

I've read some shit in my time, but that little lot does take the biscuit! I don't know what information they feed you there in Mexico, but I think you need to get out a bit more!

And as for the game today, at least Italy now know where their quota of luck has gone!

Of course I don't expect that an english agree with me. Specially when Germany is still alive. ;)

Not that I say that Germany will win it all, but sometimes not the best team wins the world cup.

About the dives, some seem to forget that in the Mexico-USA game the situation was exactly the same, yes Mexico did a lot of faults in the last part of the game, and the americans were falling as if they haven't eat in 2 months :D :D :D , if you are winning, of course you will try to get fouls on your favor, is part of the game, it just depends on the score, so what you don't have to do if you are losing is...give fouls! ;) but dives....I think that is diferent. :)

Last edited:
thanks for the trophy antje! *i don't even have a speech prepared* ;)

well, i suppose i have to select the team i will be cheering for, it has to be 'la madre patria' right raffie!?!

my other choices are brazil ('cos i want the cup to comeback to this part of the world) and germany ('cos i love my german shepherd) :)

may the best team win!

sparkys girl said:
thanks for the trophy antje! *i don't even have a speech prepared* ;)

well, i suppose i have to select the team i will be cheering for, it has to be 'la madre patria' right raffie!?!

Er... maybe, or maybe not ;)

my other choices are brazil ('cos i want the cup to comeback to this part of the world)

That is a good reason. :D

and germany ('cos i love my german shepherd) :)

I could has never thinked of this one!
attachment.php

cloudimani said:
A few of the US players are a bit too fond of their American Football tackles methinks.

You're kidding, right? The US team were certainly one of the cleaner teams in the tournament, especially when it came to diving. For the most part, the game against Germany was relatively clean, aside from a few tackles at the end out of frustration, but that is to be expected of any team that outplays the competition but still is losing the game.

If you want to see some shameful play, especially diving, look to the Brazillians or Argentines. I'm not a fan of that style at all.

Arun V said:
America has nothing to be ashamed of.

Except for the MLS lol

:laugh: :lol:

That was awesome Arun.

My take - I really want to see Brazil and Germany play in the final now that Spain, USA and England have been knocked out.

*Goes to find his Brazil jacket and T-shirt from the 1998 World Cup.

Arun V said:
America has nothing to be ashamed of.

Except for the MLS lol

:madspit:

You start a league with an average salary of $75,000 and find out what the quality of play is like. I think that for the amount they make, we have found some damn good players. :p :wink:

Foxxern said:

:madspit:

You start a league with an average salary of $75,000 and find out what the quality of play is like. I think that for the amount they make, we have found some damn good players. :p :wink:

$75,000? I thought it was about half that.

Right now MLS's job isn't to compete with the major European leagues. It's to steadily raise the level of US soccer. Right now they partially act as junior varsity teams, with the top players (national team players) "graduating" to Europe. That's fine. It'll be a while before the talent pool in the US is such that MLS can compete with the European leagues.

Back
Top Bottom