George Michael Announces First North American Tour in 17 Years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
This is pretty cool news. I've always thought George Michael was underrated, he has one of the greatest voices in pop music.

George Michael Announces First North American Tour in 17 Years, a New Album and Makes American Acting Debut

NEW YORK, March 24 /PRNewswire/ -- After performing 80 shows in 12 European countries for a staggering 1.3 million fans over the past year alone, legendary superstar George Michael will be bringing his smash 25 LIVE tour to North American Arenas in the summer of 2008 in support of his new retrospective record. This will be Michael's first North American tour in 17 years. The new record, titled Twenty-Five, will be released April 1st and is a 29-song, 2-CD set featuring several new songs (including duets with superstars Paul McCartney and Mary J. Blige) in addition to many of Michael's iconic songs from both his solo and WHAM! career. In addition, a companion 2-disc DVD of 40 videos will also be made available.

The 25 LIVE tour broke several ticket sales records, most notably in Copenhagen. Michael's concert at The Parken Stadium sold over 50,000 tickets in the matter of minutes, shattering the previous ticket sales record at the venue, formerly held by U2. On the 25 LIVE tour, Michael left both fans and critics alike in awe:

"It was a master class in pop genius." -- The Observer

"George proved he is simply one of the best vocalists this country has ever produced. A stunning performance." -- The Sun

"Worth waiting for. The show was, in every single meaning of the word, perfect." -- De Morgen

"A tremendous singer, a complete showman, all George Michael needs is a mike, his songs, and the magic on stage is instantaneous." -- La Parisien

The North American leg of the 25 LIVE tour will kick off in San Diego on June 17th and will continue through San Jose, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, Minneapolis, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, New York and several other major cities. The tour will incorporate 22 shows over the course of seven weeks and Michael will perform material taken from the entire span of his career, including some classic Wham! tracks. Michael has recently teamed up with iTunes and Ticketmaster to produce an innovative media package which allows fans rare access to Michael's videos, songs, and tickets to one of his North American 25 LIVE concerts. The package goes on sale on iTunes on March 25th. Tickets to the 25 LIVE tour will go on sale to the general public the weekend of April 6th.

George Michael has enjoyed one of the most successful and enduring careers in the history of pop music, selling more than 85 million records globally and encompassing seven U.S. No. 1 singles, two Grammy awards, three American Music Awards, an MTV Video Music Award and two prestigious Ivor Novello awards for songwriting. His record "Faith" has sold over 20 million copies alone. In addition, Michael has garnered 11 British No. 1 singles and seven British No. 1 albums. He recently was declared the most played British artist on radio over the course of the last 20 years. On March 27th, Michael can be seen making his American acting debut on the new hit ABC series, Eli Stone, in which each episode is titled after one of his songs.

For more information about the George Michael, please visit: www.georgemichael.com

OFFICIAL 25 LIVE U.S. CONCERT DATES:

6/17 San Diego/San Diego Sports Arena
6/19 San Jose/HP Pavilion
6/21 Las Vegas/MGM Grand
6/22 Phoenix/US Airways Center
6/25 Los Angeles/Great Western Forum
7/2 Seattle/Key Arena
7/4 Vancouver/General Motors Place
7/7 St Paul/Xcel Energy Center
7/9 Chicago/United Center
7/13 Dallas/American Airlines Center
7/14 Houston/Toyota Center
7/17 Toronto/Air Canada Centre
7/18 Montreal/Bell Centre
7/21 New York/MSG
7/23 New York/MSG
7/26 Philadelphia/Wachovia Center
7/27 Boston/TD Banknorth Garden
7/29 Washington DC/Verizon Center
7/31 Atlanta/Philips Arena
8/2 Tampa/St Pete Times Forum
8/3 Sunrise/Bank Atlantic Center

:applaud:

Excellent news! Been waiting forever to see him live! And there's a new album too? I cannot believe it! Patience sounded like it was the end of the road, especially the last song Through. What a great voice! He needs to be appreciated more in the US.

Pah - he is refusing to tour Australia as we are too far apparently - yet he's playing Japan. $$$$$$$$$

I was just going to post this! I have been waiting for this announcement for months!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yippie: :yippie:

I think I saw that last tour in Chicago, 17 years ago.

They filmed the video for the Elton John duet on "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" at the concert, we had no idea that he was going to be there.

Very cool.

Yes, I was straight back then, too.

Just bought MSG tickets!! Prices were :crazy: I doubt the $99 ones even existed they weren't available during Amex presale or at all today for the general onsale :mad:

He obviously thinks he's more popular then he actually is. I can't imagine him being able to draw the crowds that other artists of his type are able to.

Dude, the fucking show is sold out!!! except for a few ridiculously overpriced ($254) floor seats which are miles away on the other end of the venue. Looks like he is still super popular. :wink:

My friend from high school was a HUGE George Michael / Wham! fan while I was the huge U2 fan. She just saw him on 6/19 at San Jose and she said floor tickets were going for $2000!!!!! :crack: She didnt pay that but that must have been what the scalpers were charging :tsk: She said the place was just super packed and it was a good show.

My friend from high school was a HUGE George Michael / Wham! fan while I was the huge U2 fan. She just saw him on 6/19 at San Jose and she said floor tickets were going for $2000!!!!! :crack: She didnt pay that but that must have been what the scalpers were charging :tsk: She said the place was just super packed and it was a good show.

$2000!?!? thats nuts! What did the scalpers think this was a U2 show!? :wink:

I'm going to the show in July I'm surprised no one here has gone :hmm:

I was so mad at the bastard scalpers and profiteers on ebay that I just went and did something... :giggle::shifty: Somebody had 2 tickets up in the rafters.. 400s on ebay for a total of $299 or best offer. So I made them an offer saying I'm NOT gonna pay more than face value... $50 + $10 ticketbastard charges = $60 times 2 = $120. Not a cent more. I'm curious to see what he will say, if he replies at all!

I was so mad at the bastard scalpers and profiteers on ebay that I just went and did something... :giggle::shifty: Somebody had 2 tickets up in the rafters.. 400s on ebay for a total of $299 or best offer. So I made them an offer saying I'm NOT gonna pay more than face value... $50 + $10 ticketbastard charges = $60 times 2 = $120. Not a cent more. I'm curious to see what he will say, if he replies at all!

what happened with that!?!

Kissing A Fool! Such fun to sing along to just like many of his songs!

As for his Wembley performance of Somebody To Love, I like it more than the original. I'm not kidding. What a voice! :drool:

As a Queen fan I almost agree with that. I can't wait for this show, to hear that voice in person at the Garden :love: :hyper:

I just got back from the show here in Vancouver and it was amazing!! What a voice. It's been 20 years since I saw the Faith tour and this was even better. Great energy and to see thousands of people on their feet throughout it seemed like we were at a very large nightclub. He really enjoyed himself here and expressed as much throughout the whole night. This is one night that I really don't think he'll forget, let alone us. Wow:applaud:

Go see him if you have the chance.

Back
Top Bottom