George Carlin's HBO special

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2mad25

The Fly
Sorry if this has been discussed before - tried searching through past threads and didn't find anything.

Anyone catch the George Carlin special? What did you think of it? I thought it was pretty funny but certainly not his best. His facial expressions though have me in hysterics at times and the whole joke about the, uh, female anatomy stuff was good.

I may get the DVD if there is one - unless HBO plays it so often that I get sick of it...:|

I haven't seen the most recent, but I did attend his show back in November 2004. I don't know if that was the start of the tour which culminated in the filming of this current HBO show. He is hilarious - I have his desk calendar on my... bathroom counter. Today's feature:

"With all this natural selection going on, why doesn't the human race get any smarter? Is this it? Why are there still so many stupid people? Apparently, being a real dumb jackoff has some survival value"

:lmao:

Can't you just tape it if it is on HBO again? They repeat shows so often it's not funny. I haven't seen it so I am goin got look for it. I grew up with George Carlin, he really has some funny material and yes, his facial expressions are hysterical!

george carlin is the man :happy:

I even love when he rants about one name singers and name drops our beloved Bono..

me paraphrasing: "it's bad enough the music sucks, now we cant look them up in the phonebook to know where to send a bomb to"

:lol:

I thought this show was more unnecessarily rude (esp. to victims of recent tragedies) than it was funny. GC's the man, and his comedic legacy is to be awed, but I really think he needs to go away for awhile and dream it all up again.

I saw him do standup about 3-4 years ago and while I laughed a couple times, he was doing the same tired old jokes.

HelloAngel said:
I thought this show was more unnecessarily rude (esp. to victims of recent tragedies) than it was funny. GC's the man, and his comedic legacy is to be awed, but I really think he needs to go away for awhile and dream it all up again.

I saw him do standup about 3-4 years ago and while I laughed a couple times, he was doing the same tired old jokes.

I see what you mean but certainly, anyone watching it knows he's going to be blatantly un-PC. The natural disaster jokes were rather harsh but in some respects, there is truth in what he is getting at, i.e., our fascination with watching other people suffer...

HelloAngel said:

his act has gotten stale and has been for several years.

he used to be easily one of the greatest stand-ups.

I didn't really find his new special offensive as much, because I know he's just using a shock value that wore off about 10 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom