Genesis Reunion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Slipstream said:
Spoiler Alert for the Set List if anyone is interested. Not sure if it's been posted yet but here is the link from Wiki -

The 24 songs expected to be played on the UK part of the tour have been hinted at by Nick Davis following rehearsals in Cossonay, Switzerland. Of the final setlist, the long-time Genesis producer posted in the Official Genesis Website forum [2] on May 01, 2007, 08:29:04 AM "I'd say it is about 90% finalized on what is being played and 75% in what running order."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_It_On_Again:_The_Tour#Set_list

I posted a link earlier that had more current spoilers :wink:

Sorry. I pride myself on reading through each page of a thread but I totally missed it. But, what a great site with all that rehearsal info...and vids! Where have I been?! I just about wet my pants when I saw that Mama vid clip. I'm really liking this setlist so far.

Is anyone here going to the Hollywood gigs?

The tour has begun - in Helsinki on Monday. I believe a setlist can be found here, along with other things (photos, etc.)

http://genesisgts.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=tour&action=display&num=1181596892

oh, and had to post this pic - all the colors are so purdy :happy:
534618029_2f9d9677eb.jpg

:bump:

two days til the show. I still need a ticket - will probably try & find one at the show. I hope :pray: Plenty on ebay floating around for $$$ And yes, there are some on ticketbastard available, but this show was overpriced to begin with. I could have a terrace box seat (1 ticket) with fees = $300 :|

Lila64 said:
:bump:

two days til the show. I still need a ticket - will probably try & find one at the show. I hope :pray: Plenty on ebay floating around for $$$ And yes, there are some on ticketbastard available, but this show was overpriced to begin with. I could have a terrace box seat (1 ticket) with fees = $300 :|

2 days! :up:

I :pray: for you to get a ticket . . . at a REASONABLE price! (I hate Ticketmaster :madspit: ! )

Maybe I'll see you there, Lila! :wave:

feel free to PM me your location and a cell number if you want. I can do the same (as far as the cell :wink: ) Hubby has W1 or something, really cheap ebay tix. Worse comes to worse I'd get one of his, and he'd sneak in :shifty: :shh: I saw up to 12 tickets together in section Q at stub hub :|

Now playing: Afterglow :drool: :heart:

now...why don't you touch me touch me, why don't you touch me now now Now NOW NOW!!! :love:

I'm getting excited...., can you tell? :hyper:

Last edited:
I agree, Genesis without Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett isn't Genesis. :eyebrow: If they ever get back together with that lineup, I'll definitely go see them; until then, I'm not wasting my money. :madspit:

ShipOfFools said:
I agree, Genesis without Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett isn't Genesis. :eyebrow: If they ever get back together with that lineup, I'll definitely go see them; until then, I'm not wasting my money. :madspit:

That's a rather silly statement given that their most popular, and highest selling work came after his departure. I loved PG era Genesis too, but to say that without him they are nothing is quite simply ridiculous.

Even PG himself said that Phil was singing their/his songs better live than he ever had. My opinion though is that while Phil does sing very very well, perhaps hitting the notes and such technically better than PG, PG had this earnest strain to his voice..hard to describe...that I just loved.

EDIT: so what would the setlist look like if PG had toured with them? Would they split the singing duties? What would PG do for the majority of the set that was Phil-lead Genesis? PG would have to be a guest.

AND....just to cut off any retorts, I'm a bigger Peter than Phil fan. I just think Genesis lead by Phil went further.

SO...I've had the proshot Dusseldorf DVD (i think it's called "The Cinema Show") for a few weeks now, and have watched it twice. It's a good show, and seeing Bono's mic stand and the very U2-ish screen was cool.

I think they should cut down on the epics though. The best performances were the newer songs like "Mama" and "Tonight Tonight"...other highlights for me were "Home By The Sea" and "Follow You Follow Me". I think either my attention span is shorter or maybe I'm just not as impressed with 12 minute marathon songs as I used to be. :shrug:

Last edited:
Nice words, Gabrielvox. The end could have been a bit of a spoiler for me, but I already had a pretty good idea what's coming up this weekend. :wink:

As far as a PG reunion, I think the only possibility (and a good one at that, I believe) is some sort of short Lamb tour. And if this was to happen, I believe Phil has already stated that he'd have no problem going back behind the drums for the whole show and do backing vocals as he used to.

I'd prefer a show focusing on Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Selling England by the Pound, but I don't think that will happen.

As Phanan stated earlier, maybe the Lamb, with 'Supper's Ready' as an encore? :drool: I guess I could live with that :)

hardyharhar said:
As far as a PG reunion, I think the only possibility (and a good one at that, I believe) is some sort of short Lamb tour. And if this was to happen, I believe Phil has already stated that he'd have no problem going back behind the drums for the whole show and do backing vocals as he used to.

Yep, that would be great! But then of course it would be billed as such, and everyone would be expecting that...but I don't know if they could really do that, ALOT of Genesis fans aren't even of that era, they came along in the early 80s...like me for instance. My PG era knowledge is more retroactive, I was too young when he was on board to really be a fan, more just heard it in the house and then when I was a teen remembered those songs that my parents played type of thing.

As for the current show....there was definitely no shortage of Phil on drums! I'll be honest, I think he's a very good drummer, but you know what? Chester is just absolutely one of the greats imo. I know it must be hard for a drummer like Phil to give it up completely (as my son who drums pointed out while we watched) but there were a few songs where Phil would go back and start beating on his kit for no real apparent reason, I mean, it didn't add a whole lot to the song, other than to remind us that he used to be the drummer. lol. Not a bad thing, maybe just a bit repetitive and predictable. The drum battle was super cool though, and the rest of the band was right on time to jump in on......well I won't spoil it :wink:

Damn the rain :mad:

In The Cage :heart:
Los Endos :heart:

No encore because of rain :sad:
Walking halfway back to the car (which seems like a mile) and realizing you lost your phone, only to go back (in the rain) to try & find it, and finding it back by your seat in the Bowl, priceless :happy:

I hope we try & go again tonite. Fitz - where are you?!?!

Lila64 said:

Fitz - where are you?!?!

At home burying my Genesis sorrows in a steaming cup of hot cocao!

It was just one of those nights where everything that could go wrong, went wrong. One thing after another.

We ended up walking up to our seats about 9:15 - 9:20 (due to my ONE and HUGE mistake of telling my Dad to get off at Cahuenga instead of Highland, which basically cost us the whole night :reject: ). As we passed the ticket gate and were walking up, they were in the middle of "Home By The Sea". You should've seen the absolute crushed look on my Dad's face. I felt so bad. My Mom and Dad went to get a couple drinks and I went to our seats. I walked into the arena just as they were going into "Second Home By The Sea".

Then there was a seriously fat, fat, obese woman and her 10 year-old-son sitting at the end of our row, so there wasn't enough room for my Mom, Dad and I, even after the super drunk people to my left schooched over as far as possible. The obese woman was pissed at my Dad (and other people b/c she had to keep getting up to let people in and out) and was giving my Dad a really hard time, so he just ended up just leaving our seats and watching the rest of the show from the main walkway. One of the ushers told him that they've been having a lot of problems like that lately, with really obese people taking up too much space on the benches.

It was just one of those nights.

All I wanted, ALL I WANTED, was to have this Father-Son moment and hear "The Carpet Crawlers" together. "Lamb Lies Down . . . " came out the year I was born and I've heard my Dad play "Carpet Crawlers" so many times it's not even funny . . . that whole album, and especially that song, is the soundtrack to my childhood.

So the obese woman left early due to the rain, so I went and got my Dad and brought him back to sit with us. Then I told him he was going to absolutely love the last song, that it was really cool.

And then it just ended and he turns to me puzzled and says, "You really wanted me to hear "Invisible Touch"??"

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

I HATE Invisible Touch! My Dad hates Invisible Touch! All I wanted was my Father-Son moment to "The Carpet Crawlers", and instead I got Invisible Fucking Touch!!

Just one of those nights. :|

From what I did see of the show, it was really good and I liked it. And to be optimistic:

The drum duet into Los Endos was :rockon: :rockon: and possibly worth the price of admission on its own! :D

Last edited:
First off :hug:

OMG, I feel so bad. I had hoped the call I made to you would get you back to the bowl & in time. You should have called back and we would have stayed on until you got there or the show started, whichever was first. It started at about 8:20pm. :sigh:
You know you missed In The Cage, which was incredible and one of my favorite songs. That's pretty much when it started raining, and we had been kicked out of our "seats" a few times by this point. We stood between FGHJK and the next tier for it, and then found seats later in section J (actual seats, not a bench!). I couldn't frickin' believe it rained. I didn't even know there was any chance. I was wearing hubby's jacket with a hood, but this jacket was not waterproof :sigh:

I really wanted to hear Carpet Crawlers as well, and I told hubby as we were leaving how disappointed you were going to be cuz I knew that was your favorite song. I was disappointed that we were shortchanged an encore, but you could tell they were having technical problems & weren't prepared for the rain. Tony went under the keyboards during the last song, and apparently just gave up. You could see Phil looking at him wondering what happened. During Land Of Confusion when they were showing the audience up on the screen, we saw our friend run into the cameraperson and got on the screen!

Los Endos :drool: I wonder what a whole version of Squonk live would sound like :hmm:

We have some friends that went to the final/Saturday show, but we haven't heard from them yet. We contemplated going again, but just couldn't stand to be so far back, especially for a band we care about/like. I ended up going to see Joshua Tree play at Cal Lutheran, hubby stayed home. He knew his friend might be able to sneak him in at the Bowl, and possibly down low, but just didn't feel up to it. The show itself seemed uneven, going from older material to newer material - just didn't flow right. I can't stand newer stuff, so I'm with you on the Invisible Touch hatred. Same for 'Domino' (?) Is that the one where Phil's big head was on the screen, kinda like The Wizard of Oz? And apparently they have this cool stage set-up, but it never seemed to kick in and used. What a shame. They were always known for their lighting too.

If I could have gotten a good cheap ticket, I probably would have gone, just to see In The Cage again :love:

One more thing. My bad luck came after the show. We got out of the venue rather quickly, and were headed back to our car, which is a good walk away in the residential area past Cahuenga. So we get halfway there, and I realize I don't have my cellphone :( So we venture back into the bowl. Everyone in the tunnel & by the bowl kept calling us salmon (going upstream). We get back inside and it's empty except for the ushers, and we get near our seats & find my phone. I was so tired & wet. We got to the car and peeled off our layers of wet clothing, scarf, gloves,... What a night.

I hope we get to meet another time & under better circumstances :hug:

i really like the fact , that you can order a cd of each show from european and american tours . plus , this tour was really for fans , genesis came with balanced set-list , five people , great musicians , thank you Genesis .

:)

Do you mean CDs from the current tour? I thought the song selection was rather odd. Yes, some old some newer, but it didn't fit together as a "set". I only wanted to hear old stuff, so hearing something like Domino and You're No Son Of Mine (or whatever that's called) is like nails on a chalkboard :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom