Gemma Hayes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cloudimani

Acrobat
Her debut album Night On My Side, for me, one of the first really great albums of 2002.

I especially like Back of my Hand, and Let a Good Thing Go.

Anyone else got it?

Ah well, the album I think got mixed if enthusiastic reviews, ok maybe its not exactly like everything she's done in her previous releases (EPs) but it doesnt stay out of my cd player atm, very listenable, great voice, great songs. I find her music very refreshing atm.

next2.jpg

01.jpg

Well it has kind of two sides, as I think Gemma herself has said there are two sides to her music, a kind of quiet acoustic side, and a rockier band sound.

I think both sides come across really well. On the quiet side there are songs like the opener Day One, Ran for Miles and My God. Some of the more "band" songs are the single Hanging Around, and Tear in my Side. I think Back of my Hand is a great song, really addictive, and with catchy lyrics.

The cd is totally devoid of electronic gadgetry, the songs are without exception performed acoustic, or with the band. I think this is really refreshing after hearing all the over-produced and over-computerised music that is around atm. It had a really raw, fresh feel.

I'd advise anyone to check this one out, at least download a song or two, and if you like it, buy it. It just gets better and better every time I listen to it.

Don't have the album but it's on top of my to-buy list, even though I've only managed to find an import version of it. 4:35 am, Back Of My Hand and Hanging Around are the only mp3s I got from her but they're on constant replay on winamp and in my head.

shes a babe :drool:

anyway ive heard a couple of her songs as well and they're not too bad, i heard from a rollingstone review that her music is what a female billy corgan would sound like

from my opinion (its worth about 2 cents) the music sounds something like sparklehorse and something more indie than the likes of avril lavigne and michelle branch

there are parts of her songs where she does sound like pj harvey with her singing

Back
Top Bottom