Geebung, Queensland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: I've always loved the name Yeronga, and Yerongpilly too. Back when I lived up that way myself, my friends and I would always make lame "you're wrong, Pilly!" "but you're wronger!" jokes whenever we took the train from the Gold Coast to Brisbane and passed through that area.

Also, I didn't know you were a fellow Melburnian. For whatever reason, I was under the impression you were a Sydneysider.

Oh yes - fellow Melburnian. Actually I am a bit of le poseur as I was born in Geelong but ya know, sometimes you just have lie to get ahead in this world. I lived in Sydders for a year or two back in 05/06.

I also am a bit fan of Moorooka - not the place, just the name. Pronounced "moooooooo-rooka!' of course. Or Banoon - 'banoinoinoin' (like a spring bouncing kind of thing).

Ah, guess you had to be there.

Last edited:
See I used to live in Michigan City, which is a fairly decent city, I love it to death, but do to housing problems and school issues and such, we moved to Laporte, only 10 miles away, but very different. More of a small town feel.

Michigan City has an awesome 14 screen movie theater, but it costs $7
Laporte has a 4 screen theater, that is fairly old, but it costs $1.50 ($1 before 6:00PM)

So yes, you save a lot going to the Laporte theater, but quality wise you get what you pay for (but you're still seeing the SAME movie :lol: )

I would happily take $7 movies, on the east coast it's $9-$10 minimum.

Oh yes - fellow Melburnian. Actually I am a bit of le poseur as I was born in Geelong but ya know, sometimes you just have lie to get ahead in this world. I lived in Sydders for a year or two back in 05/06.

I also am a bit fan of Moorooka - not the place, just the name. Pronounced "moooooooo-rooka!' of course. Or Banoon - 'banoinoinoin' (like a spring bouncing kind of thing).

Ah, guess you had to be there.

Ah, right. Another one for the Melbourne/broader Victoria crowd then! From Jen and cin's stories in these threads, Geelong certainly doesn't sound like the greatest place on earth. :lol: I haven't been there yet, personally.

Oh, those are good. I'm also very fond of Mooloolaba/Moolooloolooloolooloolooba. When I lived in Brisbane, I was near another fun one, Indooroopilly.

Good news on the album and tour if true, and it probably is, because it is the same formula that they've used the last two times out - album late in the year, followed by the tour.

No surprise really, but still cool.

rapid share has gotten impossible to use, the letter entry thing is now "only enter symbols attached to a cat" but you can't tell cause they're all damn wavy and overlapping.

Good news on the album and tour if true, and it probably is, because it is the same formula that they've used the last two times out - album late in the year, followed by the tour.

I can totally deal with that. Now, we just wait for the single. :hyper:

I can't get into the clips of clips that some dude recorded when he thought he might have heard them from his bathroom window.

I have to venture outside. I don't wanna go. :sad:

Honestly, it surprises me just how long U2 wait between releasing an album and going on tour. Other bands I follow don't do that at all. A 4-5 month gap between album and opening night of the tour is honestly a bit ridiculous.

rapid share has gotten impossible to use, the letter entry thing is now "only enter symbols attached to a cat" but you can't tell cause they're all damn wavy and overlapping.

Rapid share has always been rapid shit anyway.

"Rapid shit" actually made me laugh, which is weird because I was calling out on you guys for talking shite before. Also because it's not imaginative or really that funny and it I guess it wasn't meant to be.

"Rapid shit" actually made me laugh, which is weird because I was calling out on you guys for talking shite before. Also because it's not imaginative or really that funny and it I guess it wasn't meant to be.

And it's not even my joke; I stole it from the guys on the metal_mp3 community who rather vehemently discourage people against uploading albums to it.

Oh.

It's a good joke.

(I don't think it's the best site either but you know I don't really see the crisis, they're still doing a service)

Apparently people from a number of countries have difficulty/are unable to access it. Personally, I've had no problems with using it, though I find it a bit less convenient to use than send space.

Hey Superthread. :wave:

I am not pleased about tornado warnings at 2:30 in the morning. :madwife:

Oh fuuun.

See, this is one thing I rather like about Australia, and Melbourne in particular: natural disasters are few in type. Certainly no tornadoes, and I don't miss New Zealand's earthquakes. Just bushfires, which aren't a problem if you live in the inner city, and in the northern areas, cyclones. And, of course, the obvious storms and flooding typical to just about everywhere on the planet.

Apparently people from a number of countries have difficulty/are unable to access it. Personally, I've had no problems with using it, though I find it a bit less convenient to use than send space.

Really? In that case, I can understand the hate. I agree that send space is better.

Really? In that case, I can understand the hate. I agree that send space is better.

I've seen a few people on LiveJournal MP3 communities say "here's a link on Rapidshit, but I live in [wherever] so I can't access it - could somebody please download it and re-up it to [a site that does work]?" I can't remember which countries in particular have been affected, though I'm pretty sure they've been Eastern European ones, and I think a Scandinavian one.

I've seen the same issue with Mega Upload too.

Oh fuuun.

See, this is one thing I rather like about Australia, and Melbourne in particular: natural disasters are few in type. Certainly no tornadoes, and I don't miss New Zealand's earthquakes. Just bushfires, which aren't a problem if you live in the inner city, and in the northern areas, cyclones. And, of course, the obvious storms and flooding typical to just about everywhere on the planet.

Oh yeah, it's a big plus. It's almost unfair, in fact - we don't really think of natural disasters that much, further south east anyway - while so much of the rest of the world could potentially be under threat.

Though, there was that massive heatwave (two weeks of 40+ celsius heat) here in Adelaide a couple of months ago, which was pretty neat.

Oh yeah, it's a big plus. It's almost unfair, in fact - we don't really think of natural disasters that much, further south east anyway - while so much of the rest of the world could potentially be under threat.

Though, there was that massive heatwave (two weeks of 40+ celsius heat) here in Adelaide a couple of months ago, which was pretty neat.

Honestly, as somebody in inner Melbourne located on a hill, I basically consider myself almost immune from natural disasters except the most radical once-in-a-century sort of stuff. Bushfires? They've got a shitload of suburbs to get through first. Cyclones don't strike this far south. Storms and flooding? I'm not near any watercourse and I'm high enough up the hill that rain downpours will just run down to Moonee Valley, but not on any substantial slope so my place can't be undermined. Tornadoes? I can only think of one tornado of significance in my time in Australia (Bendigo in 2004). Anything else? Only by freak occurrence, e.g. Newcastle earthquake of 1988, and so unlikely to affect me as to be statistically insignificant.

The Feb/March heatwave was made of fail. I'm loving winter. :drool:

Honestly, as somebody in inner Melbourne located on a hill, I basically consider myself almost immune from natural disasters except the most radical once-in-a-century sort of stuff. Bushfires? They've got a shitload of suburbs to get through first. Cyclones don't strike this far south. Storms and flooding? I'm not near any watercourse and I'm high enough up the hill that rain downpours will just run down to Moonee Valley, but not on any substantial slope so my place can't be undermined. Tornadoes? I can only think of one tornado of significance in my time in Australia (Bendigo in 2004). Anything else? Only by freak occurrence, e.g. Newcastle earthquake of 1988, and so unlikely to affect me as to be statistically insignificant.

The Feb/March heatwave was made of fail. I'm loving winter. :drool:

You're lucky! In Adelaide I'm not too far away from the hills, where you get the occasional fire (often some fucking arsonists) and though they've never gotten down here, there's always the odd chance. Still within elevation for a flood, too. Though I'm kind of expecting none of that will happen anytime soon!

The heatwave sucked at first, but I was getting used to it by the end - to the extent that it didn't bother me at all. It was almost kind of sad seeing the rain come back, but fortunately I love autumn and winter and the weather right now is an absolute ball for me. :up:

The worst thing about this part of Melbourne is the fucking 'Toorak Matrons*' who a-are yet to realise that Surrey Hills is not Toorak and b-that just because they have a 4WD does not give them the right to try to mow me down everytime I cross the street.

We did have a blackout recently that lasted 72 odd hours. I thought of looting but the only store near me is a Red Rooster and a bakery.

* Toorak is the perceived 'Beverly Hills' of Melbourne.

You're lucky! In Adelaide I'm not too far away from the hills, where you get the occasional fire (often some fucking arsonists) and though they've never gotten down here, there's always the odd chance. Still within elevation for a flood, too. Though I'm kind of expecting none of that will happen anytime soon!

The heatwave sucked at first, but I was getting used to it by the end - to the extent that it didn't bother me at all. It was almost kind of sad seeing the rain come back, but fortunately I love autumn and winter and the weather right now is an absolute ball for me. :up:

Oh, I lived on the western fringe of the Gold Coast for a while, 11/2003 to 02/2006, and bushfires were a constant source of concern. We had two in my time there, one of which came alarmingly close - everybody from three houses up our street onwards were evacuated, but we were allowed to stay. I suffered considerable asthma and had my stuff packed and ready to go, but it was brought under control fairly quickly and I didn't have to leave. Ever since then, I've resolved to only live in relatively inner suburbs as long as I stay in Australia. I'll probably have to if I get a job in academia anyway.

The heatwave was a bit more variable here, some days were closer to 30 than 40, so it was a bit harder to get used to it. And I just hate heat in the first place, it's why I left Queensland, so I was bloody relieved when it finished. At the moment, I'm looking forward to the weather dropping a few more degrees - it was doing nicely a couple of weeks ago, but has unfortunately warmed up a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom