Gay and Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This year I took 2 APs, 2 gifted/honors (Harder classes than honors, same credit. Fuck.), 1 full-on honors, and 1 standard.

Next year, I'll have 7 classes:

5 APs (Gov and Eco are semester courses, then Physics, Lit, and Stats), and 3 honors (TV Production V, Newspaper, and Film). Hopefully my GPA will boost as well. I know I'm not in the running for Top 10 or anything, but I'd like to finish in the Top 25, if possible.

Phys Ed and Health are required in the state of Pennsylvania. If they weren't, I'd have been taking Video Production for four years. How much does that suck? A lot.

Thoughts so far on TSMS:

I prefer progressive rock to more metal rock. I think I'll prefer this to In Absentia because IA had a few metal-ish tracks on it.

I have warmed up to Blackest Eyes, though, Ax. That chorus is fantastic. Better than Piano Lessons, IMO.

Blackest Eyes is fantastic. An early version of my DI4 playlist opened with it.

Phys Ed and Health are required in the state of Pennsylvania. If they weren't, I'd have been taking Video Production for four years. How much does that suck? A lot.

That blows. I got those out of the way freshman year, while a lot of my smarter friends did them in the summer. They also took Spanish in middle school for the high school credit. Fuck.

My courses next year, by the way:

AP English 12
AP Government and Civics
AP Statistics
Honors Physics II
Honors Entrepreneurship
Academic Public Speaking I and II (each a semester)
Academic Advanced Physical Education - Team Sports

Physics was by and large my favorite science class I've taken in all of high school. It also helped that my teacher was one of the coolest dudes ever.

That blows. I got those out of the way freshman year, while a lot of my smarter friends did them in the summer. They also took Spanish in middle school for the high school credit. Fuck.

Ours is a system in which you cannot avoid taking one each year. There's minimum requirements for each in every year. That's not even the case for math or science.

I got one Spanish credit and one Math credit in eighth grade for taking elevated courses. Ultimately hasn't helped me much.

Physics was by and large my favorite science class I've taken in all of high school. It also helped that my teacher was one of the coolest dudes ever.

I echo both sentiments. And I still don't like physics all that much, that's just how much I hate chemistry and totally LOATHE biology.

My physics teacher performed Eric Idle's Galaxy Song for three weeks straight and then gave a test on it. That's the kind of teacher he is.

that was more or less mine, now that i look at it. i remember an 85 was a C, though. and like i said in my previous post, 64 started the F grade.

it is strict! i would've been a straight-A student sometimes in high school had it been 90-100. i got a lot of low 90s, but they were Bs :grumpy:

I can't remember what the grading scale was for me in 8th grade...pretty sure it was more lenient than that though. There were a few in my class that were C students anyway, and I was ahead of everyone in my class for pretty much the entire year.

It's too bad I didn't start becoming a really good writer until a couple of years ago. Otherwise, I could have put together some damn good essays and helped my grades out even more.

My courses next year, by the way:

AP English 12
AP Government and Civics
AP Statistics
Honors Physics II
Honors Entrepreneurship
Academic Public Speaking I and II (each a semester)
Academic Advanced Physical Education - Team Sports

Notes:

- I own English and history.
- Stats is AP for a strange reason that's much too complicated to explain. I'm just glad I avoided Calculus.
- Public Speaking was voluntary on my part. My English teacher from this year is teaching it, and everyone I know who took it had a blast this year.

I echo both sentiments. And I still don't like physics all that much, that's just how much I hate chemistry and totally LOATHE biology.

My physics teacher performed Eric Idle's Galaxy Song for three weeks straight and then gave a test on it. That's the kind of teacher he is.

He'd get along with mine then.

Notes:

- Stats is AP for a strange reason that's much too complicated to explain. I'm just glad I avoided Calculus.

Exact same thing here.

Ultimately, though, class rank is the main thing, because context is everything.

I was in the top seven percent of my 360 person class last I saw it.

My high school didn't publish any sort of ranking, and honestly I'm not sure if any here do. But they did give out a dux of each grade at the end of the year.

The laughable part is that dux was NOT actually determined by your final grades in year 12, since the school's presentation night was held before the Queensland state studies board published the final results. Plus I think there were politics at play in the choices anyway. So despite the fact I had the top marks in my grade, the girl in second place got dux. Fucking arse-backwards, but I don't care too much since I got the awards I actually wanted. All you got for dux was a trophy you had to give back a year later!

Notes:

- Public Speaking was voluntary on my part. My English teacher from this year is teaching it, and everyone I know who took it had a blast this year.

Do you own Driver's Ed?

NSW I also watched Manhattan while I as at Quiznos.

I have a lot of thoughts. give me a moment to write them.

My high school didn't publish any sort of ranking, and honestly I'm not sure if any here do. But they did give out a dux of each grade at the end of the year.

The laughable part is that dux was NOT actually determined by your final grades in year 12, since the school's presentation night was held before the Queensland state studies board published the final results. Plus I think there were politics at play in the choices anyway. So despite the fact I had the top marks in my grade, the girl in second place got dux. Fucking arse-backwards, but I don't care too much since I got the awards I actually wanted. All you got for dux was a trophy you had to give back a year later!

Is dux like a valedictorian?

There's a distinct feel to Dislocated Day and The Moon Touches Your Shoulder that are different from the rest of the album. It flows well overall, but there's something different on those two.

Is dux like a valedictorian?

Yep.

Just to make it even more bizarre, we had somebody give a valedictory address ... and it was neither the dux, because she was shit at public speaking (or anything other than inserting numbers into mathetical and scientific formulas), nor me, because they knew any speech I'd give would be full of backhanded compliments and subtle insults. Instead, one of our items of assessment in grade 12 English was to actually write a valedictory address and they picked the one they liked the most.

Yep.

Just to make it even more bizarre, we had somebody give a valedictory address ... and it was neither the dux, because she was shit at public speaking (or anything other than inserting numbers into mathetical and scientific formulas), nor me, because they knew any speech I'd give would be full of backhanded compliments and subtle insults. Instead, one of our items of assessment in grade 12 English was to actually write a valedictory address and they picked the one they liked the most.

Our valedictorian is going to be a pale kid who never sees the light of day (pale for that reason, not because he's albino or really Irish) who is a year younger than us and skipped eighth grade. He also has a beard, large, frazzled hair, and shirts that don't fit him.

I wish I was making this up.

Last edited:
Our valedictorian is going to be a pale kid who never see the light of day (pale for that reason, not because he's albino or really Irish) who is a year younger than us and skipped eighth grade. He also has a beard, large, frazzled hair, and shirts that don't fit him.

I wish I was making this up.

There was a kid who graduated this year who looked like Taj Mowry from "Smart Guy."

This kid tops it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom