Gay and Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands Superthread - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #226
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 02:36 PM
I have to confess that I never took the ACT or SAT. I wanted to drop out of high school and wanted no part of college. I am going to college though I don't like it. School has never been right for me.
__________________

__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #227
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:36 PM
Third album for tonight: REM's Fables of the Reconstruction.
__________________

__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 07:20 PM   #228
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I have to confess that I never took the ACT or SAT. I wanted to drop out of high school and wanted no part of college. I am going to college though I don't like it. School has never been right for me.
High school in particular is very constricting due to how much of what you take is filling out requirements. However, it's important to have that and college in order to go into most careers. Instead of education, you're fulfilling a pre-requisite for most careers.

College does give you a lot more flexibility in course choices after freshmen year, which I am looking forward to.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #229
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,598
Local Time: 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
High school in particular is very constricting due to how much of what you take is filling out requirements. However, it's important to have that and college in order to go into most careers. Instead of education, you're fulfilling a pre-requisite for most careers.

College does give you a lot more flexibility in course choices after freshmen year, which I am looking forward to.
it does?
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #230
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
High school in particular is very constricting due to how much of what you take is filling out requirements. However, it's important to have that and college in order to go into most careers. Instead of education, you're fulfilling a pre-requisite for most careers.

College does give you a lot more flexibility in course choices after freshmen year, which I am looking forward to.
The problem with education is that they can't teach me anything I don't already know that is important in life. I just don't respect many teachers. They don't stimulate my mind. It is pretty arrogant I'll admit. School never gave me a single thing but wasted time and pain. I have gotten me where I am and where I am going. School is utterly pointless to me.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:03 PM   #231
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:36 PM
Alright, four albums for tonight:

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I
Radiohead - Kid A
R.E.M. - Fables of the Reconstruction
Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways

I'm fucking going all out. I should post a marathon running diary of it all, too. Any interest?
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:05 PM   #232
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
The problem with education is that they can't teach me anything I don't already know that is important in life. I just don't respect many teachers. They don't stimulate my mind. It is pretty arrogant I'll admit. School never gave me a single thing but wasted time and pain. I have gotten me where I am and where I am going. School is utterly pointless to me.
I don't think that's true. I think it's clear that everyone in this thread still has a lot to learn. Everyone I talk to has a few teachers along the way that connect with them. Sure, a lot falter, but keep going. Look for that class, that teacher, that will speak your language. It's worth it to try to find.

Most teachers won't connect with you in a way that stimulates your mind or inspires you. But there are a few out there, and if you find them, it's worth it.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:10 PM   #233
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,598
Local Time: 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I don't think that's true. I think it's clear that everyone in this thread still has a lot to learn. Everyone I talk to has a few teachers along the way that connect with them. Sure, a lot falter, but keep going. Look for that class, that teacher, that will speak your language. It's worth it to try to find.

Most teachers won't connect with you in a way that stimulates your mind or inspires you. But there are a few out there, and if you find them, it's worth it.
wait...what do i have to do with any of this?
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:12 PM   #234
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:36 PM
I was talking to Screwy ... hence why I quoted his post ...
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #235
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I don't think that's true. I think it's clear that everyone in this thread still has a lot to learn. Everyone I talk to has a few teachers along the way that connect with them. Sure, a lot falter, but keep going. Look for that class, that teacher, that will speak your language. It's worth it to try to find.

Most teachers won't connect with you in a way that stimulates your mind or inspires you. But there are a few out there, and if you find them, it's worth it.
I don't feel like a student anymore. I feel like I am the one who should be teaching. I could teach the world so much. It is like The Ocean goes, "I felt the world could go far if they only listened to what I say."
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #236
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,598
Local Time: 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
I was talking to Screwy ... hence why I quoted his post ...
yeah but you said "everyone in this thread has a lot to learn" i should've only quoted that part, my bad.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:18 PM   #237
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 02:36 PM
Well, we're all mental cases. That's what I mean.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #238
Blue Crack Addict
 
Screwtape2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Posts: 18,353
Local Time: 02:36 PM
Rob33 has twice said I'm out of my mind today.
__________________
Screwtape2 is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #239
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,598
Local Time: 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Well, we're all mental cases. That's what I mean.


i'm not a big fan of college, though, personally. at least for my major, i don't have a lot of choices as to what classes i can pick. it's just "pick four out of seven on this list" or whatever. but i know all majors aren't like that.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 06-24-2008, 08:27 PM   #240
Blue Crack Addict
 
unico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rage Ave.
Posts: 18,747
Local Time: 02:36 PM
i just wanna poke into the conversation and say that college isn't just about the classes you take. as much (or perhaps more) learning comes from outside the classroom as inside. and by this i mean the internships/externships/coops, the clubs you partake in, the people you meet, the people you serve (volunteering, working), relationships (friendships/roommates/classmates/professors/advisors) and so forth. if you're just focusing on the classes, you're gonna be disappointed. that degree is more than just a piece of paper saying you met the requirements, it says you've had this unique and privileged experience.


peefan, go to VT!
__________________

__________________
unico is offline  
 

Tags
superthread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com