Gasoline Prices - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2005, 01:02 AM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

P.S. Like I also posted in the gasoline thread in FYM, here's an interesting stat about gasoline prices all over the world:
http://www.trouw.nl/rubriek/1123070046158.html
That list is awfully skewed. If you want a more accurate snapshot of gas prices within a given country, then you're gonna have to either figure out a mean and/or get an average out of all stations within said country. Otherwise you might as well pull the name of a city out of a hat (which, it seems, is what they have done)

Old 08-19-2005, 01:21 AM   #77
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 05:07 PM
Quote:
Erm...
20 gallons, that's like 75 litres of gasoline.
A week!
when i drove, i went through about 13 gallons a week. why did i live so far away from where i worked? because i worked in an industrial area. the closest apartment complex to there is NOT a good one.

i liked it back when i drove and was in high school. it took me a month to go through a tank of gas (the aforementioned 13 gallons). of course this was back when gas was like $1.09 a gallon, but i was also making next to no money so while it sucks i used so little while it was so cheap (errr, i suppose it sounds better to say i used so much once it got so expensive here), i couldn't have afforded to use more anyway.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:31 AM   #78
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Cleasai
That list is awfully skewed. If you want a more accurate snapshot of gas prices within a given country, then you're gonna have to either figure out a mean and/or get an average out of all stations within said country. Otherwise you might as well pull the name of a city out of a hat (which, it seems, is what they have done)
Is it that skewed? In that list, the US location is about $2,80 per gallon. From what's posted here, there's a fluctuation of about 25 to 30 cents over the USA (both above and below). That's about 10%.
I assume that it's that much at most in other countries too (probably even less).
So the US price is then between 0.56 and 0.68 cents/litre. So they might be closer to Brazil then (0.69 to 0.85 cents/litre) or to South Africa (0.47 to 0.57 cents/litre). That doesn't change much in the total figure, IMO.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:35 AM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes you are right. However $.30 is a lot to be off by. I can only imagine that, that $.30 can change the dynamics of the list. Of course I wouldn't really know until I sit down and figure out the math.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:40 AM   #80
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Cleasai
Yes you are right. However $.30 is a lot to be off by. I can only imagine that, that $.30 can change the dynamics of the list. Of course I wouldn't really know until I sit down and figure out the math.
Well, $.30 per gallon is about $.08 per litre which is about .06 or .07 eurocents per litre. Which isn't that much in that list.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:41 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie

damn euros lol
Old 08-19-2005, 05:11 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:07 PM
Quote:

Erm...
20 gallons, that's like 75 litres of gasoline.
A week!
If we take an average car it rides approximately 14 kilometres per litre, so that's 1050 kilometres per week (or roughly 200 per day). If your work is at a set location, that is quite a distance. But then that would be your choice, to live so far away from work, so there's less justification to complain. Either live closer to the city or find a job closer to home if you don't want to use that much gasoline.
[/url]

If I can't complain about the cost of gas, then can I complain more about the sky high real estate market that prevents me from living closer to my job? If I take a job closer to home, then I can't afford to live in my current area. Anyway you look at it I'm getting screwed. We have to work, we have to live somewhere, and we have to buy gas...we just don't have to get ripped off doing it.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:31 AM   #83
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bammo2
89.9 pence per litre

ie US$1.63 per litre

which is US$6.151 per gallon (there are 3.785 litres in a us gallon, righ? )
$1.28 AUD/litre
1 litre = 3.78 gallons...3.87 x 1.28= $4.83 a gallon, in Aus dollars.

No? That seems awfully high.

Ok, I can do this.

$1.28 AUD = 0.97 USD
So..0.97 x 3.785 = $3.67
Old 08-19-2005, 07:00 AM   #84
Refugee

Local Time: 07:07 PM
Someone on another forum who lives in California just posted that a few if the independent gas stations in his area have been closing. The reason? They have hand-written signs that say, "Closed. Can't afford to buy gas".

Imagine how bad things are going to get when the little guys go under and the only ones left are the big guys, and they take advantage by gouging.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:44 AM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

All I'm saying is, you chose to work where you do and you chose to live where you do. Nobody makes you do anything.
Look, I don't complain about gas prices much because I need my car and that's that.

But this above comment is far too simplistic. Some of us do highly technical, skilled work which you can't "choose" to do anywhere. You work where your specific research group is! What is my alternative? To go work at a Domino's because that's more convenient? I have a specific specialization and I do a specific type of research which is rare and I cannot "choose" to do something else because a) I am not trained for it, b) I didn't spend that many years in school to do something else. As for living where I do, if you lived in one of the most expensive cities on the continent, and you worked in the most expensive area of that city, and relied on public GRANT money to get paid, you would not have a "choice" as to where you live because you could not afford to live in this neighbourhood. It's just that simple. A car costs me half of what a shithole apartment would within walking distance of my work. And that's why I don't complain about gas prices. But at the same time some of you seem to be under the impression that it's possible for all of us to make the alternative choices you have made. And that is just completely unrealistic for many people.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:05 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

I agree, but like you said, I've never heard you complain about gas prices.

The poster who I was replying to sounds like he wants to blame everything on everyone else and complain, complain, complain. All the moaning and groaning gets really old after a while, especially when all of us living in the States, no matter where we are or what we do, have it way better than those in Europe and other places. Everyone's in the same boat here and we'll all have to make sacrifices eventually. I'm cancelling my weekend plans b/c I can't afford refilling the gas tank, but that's life and I'll leave it at that. I'm more frustrated with the attitude that people shouldn't have to even consider alternative choices, like car-pooling, or a more efficient vehicle, etc. I know it's not realistic for everyone to move w/in walking distance of their job. It's more the woe-is-me attitude that gets on my nerves.