Gasoline Prices - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2005, 08:53 AM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:33 PM
Well those of you who feel you don't need a car should feel lucky you live in a place where that is feasible. For many of us, whether for purposes of business travel, suburbia, or rural living, there is no choice but to drive. Such is life.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:56 AM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Well those of you who feel you don't need a car should feel lucky you live in a place where that is feasible. For many of us, whether for purposes of business travel, suburbia, or rural living, there is no choice but to drive. Such is life.
Don't companies pay for gas for business travel? If not, that's not fair.

I do feel lucky about where I live, but I didn't just end up here. I spent months checking out places all over while factoring in school, my job, and what places I need to go to on a regular basis and made the decision that if I couldn't afford a car, I'd have to make decisions about my living arrangements accordingly. Thus, I try my best not to complain when I have to walk to school or work through three feet of snow

Old 08-18-2005, 08:56 AM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 12:33 AM
but the same applies in countries where the price is more than double what it is in north america, anitram
Old 08-18-2005, 08:58 AM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Don't companies pay for gas for business travel? If not, that's not fair.

I do feel lucky about where I live, but I didn't just end up here. I spent months checking out places all over while factoring in school, my job, and what places I need to go to on a regular basis and made the decision that if I couldn't afford a car, I'd have to make decisions about my living arrangements accordingly.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:06 AM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

...but you don't NEED 20 gallons of gas a week and no one's forcing you to buy it...

what bammo said.
Actually people do need 20 gallons a week and we are forced to buy it. Owning a home near a city is super expensive so people move out to the boondocks to have a nice place but a shitty commute. The jobs tend to be near the cities so you have to go to the city unless I want to be unemployed and homeless.

Maybe if I didn't have to give up my first born to own a house, I wouldn't be crying about giving up my second born to make the commute to work.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:35 AM   #66
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:33 PM

I only have a fifteen minute drive to work...AND I live in a rural area.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-18-2005, 09:45 AM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
I only have a fifteen minute drive to work...AND I live in a rural area.
same here

its pretty obvious I live in a rural area *note location but I am really lucky my job is only 15 minutes away...some people communte 1-4 hours everyday from here
Old 08-18-2005, 09:47 AM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Dismantled

same here

its pretty obvious I live in a rural area *note location but I am really lucky my job is only 15 minutes away...some people communte 1-4 hours everyday from here
Hola!!! Dis

Everywhere is rural in VT - but I still really do miss the place.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:50 AM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by randhail

Actually people do need 20 gallons a week and we are forced to buy it. Owning a home near a city is super expensive so people move out to the boondocks to have a nice place but a shitty commute. The jobs tend to be near the cities so you have to go to the city unless I want to be unemployed and homeless.
All I'm saying is, you chose to work where you do and you chose to live where you do. Nobody makes you do anything.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:25 AM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by YBORCITYOBL

Hola!!! Dis

Everywhere is rural in VT - but I still really do miss the place.
Hi

yup pretty much...even Burlington has farms right in the middle of it
Old 08-18-2005, 12:16 PM   #71
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

I live in a quiet little township about 20 minutes from downtown Ann Arbor and 45 minutes from downtown Detroit. Of course, there are other decent cities right nearby that have all we could need. It's awesome. I feel like I'm back in the U.P., only with big city advantages.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 08-18-2005, 12:25 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:33 PM
Don't quote me on stats, however, a majority of the OC residents are self-employed Independent contractors of some type.

I fall into that category; I am reimbursed 55 cents per business mile driven during the course of a day...and I'm able to overlap my cases...for instance, if I have 3 appts. in Los Angeles, I average 44 miles out/44 miles back = 88 X .55 = $48.40 x 3 appts. = $145.20 for one day's gas reimbursement....

I can't and won't complain since I am a service provider and I have no option but to keep filling up as I go...plus, the insurance carriers love my work.....they keep my tank filled.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:28 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!

End?

We've been lucky here in the US for some time. We are just catching up to the rest of the world.

More and more people are needing gas/fuel/oil/natural energy in our world, meaning they cannot keep up with the production which supposedly means the price will continue to grow.

Invest now in oil companies.
Well I am utterley DEPRESSED now
Old 08-18-2005, 01:32 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
I've got absolutely no love at all for the oil companies. They are robbing us blind and laughing all the way to the bank.

As for the argument that it is cheaper than a gallon of milk, that is true, but we don't go to the grocery store to buy 20 gallons every week.
agreed... Does anyone know why this is so? What is going on with the economy??
Old 08-19-2005, 12:33 AM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Erm...
20 gallons, that's like 75 litres of gasoline.
A week!
If we take an average car it rides approximately 14 kilometres per litre, so that's 1050 kilometres per week (or roughly 200 per day). If your work is at a set location, that is quite a distance. But then that would be your choice, to live so far away from work, so there's less justification to complain. Either live closer to the city or find a job closer to home if you don't want to use that much gasoline.

P.S. Like I also posted in the gasoline thread in FYM, here's an interesting stat about gasoline prices all over the world:
http://www.trouw.nl/rubriek/1123070046158.html