Gasoline Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well those of you who feel you don't need a car should feel lucky you live in a place where that is feasible. For many of us, whether for purposes of business travel, suburbia, or rural living, there is no choice but to drive. Such is life.

anitram said:
Well those of you who feel you don't need a car should feel lucky you live in a place where that is feasible. For many of us, whether for purposes of business travel, suburbia, or rural living, there is no choice but to drive. Such is life.

Don't companies pay for gas for business travel? If not, that's not fair.

I do feel lucky about where I live, but I didn't just end up here. I spent months checking out places all over while factoring in school, my job, and what places I need to go to on a regular basis and made the decision that if I couldn't afford a car, I'd have to make decisions about my living arrangements accordingly. Thus, I try my best not to complain when I have to walk to school or work through three feet of snow :wink:

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Don't companies pay for gas for business travel? If not, that's not fair.

I do feel lucky about where I live, but I didn't just end up here. I spent months checking out places all over while factoring in school, my job, and what places I need to go to on a regular basis and made the decision that if I couldn't afford a car, I'd have to make decisions about my living arrangements accordingly.

:up:

...but you don't NEED 20 gallons of gas a week and no one's forcing you to buy it...

:up: what bammo said.

Actually people do need 20 gallons a week and we are forced to buy it. Owning a home near a city is super expensive so people move out to the boondocks to have a nice place but a shitty commute. The jobs tend to be near the cities so you have to go to the city unless I want to be unemployed and homeless.

Maybe if I didn't have to give up my first born to own a house, I wouldn't be crying about giving up my second born to make the commute to work.

Bonochick said:
I only have a fifteen minute drive to work...AND I live in a rural area. :drool:

same here:drool:

its pretty obvious I live in a rural area *note location:| but I am really lucky my job is only 15 minutes away...some people communte 1-4 hours everyday from here:yikes:

Dismantled said:

same here:drool:

its pretty obvious I live in a rural area *note location:| but I am really lucky my job is only 15 minutes away...some people communte 1-4 hours everyday from here:yikes:

Hola!!! Dis:wave:

Everywhere is rural in VT - but I still really do miss the place.

randhail said:

Actually people do need 20 gallons a week and we are forced to buy it. Owning a home near a city is super expensive so people move out to the boondocks to have a nice place but a shitty commute. The jobs tend to be near the cities so you have to go to the city unless I want to be unemployed and homeless.

All I'm saying is, you chose to work where you do and you chose to live where you do. Nobody makes you do anything.

YBORCITYOBL said:

Hola!!! Dis:wave:

Everywhere is rural in VT - but I still really do miss the place.

Hi:wave:

yup pretty much...even Burlington has farms right in the middle of it:lmao:

I live in a quiet little township about 20 minutes from downtown Ann Arbor and 45 minutes from downtown Detroit. Of course, there are other decent cities right nearby that have all we could need. It's awesome. I feel like I'm back in the U.P., only with big city advantages. :drool:

Don't quote me on stats, however, a majority of the OC residents are self-employed Independent contractors of some type.

I fall into that category; I am reimbursed 55 cents per business mile driven during the course of a day...and I'm able to overlap my cases...for instance, if I have 3 appts. in Los Angeles, I average 44 miles out/44 miles back = 88 X .55 = $48.40 x 3 appts. = $145.20 for one day's gas reimbursement....

I can't and won't complain since I am a service provider and I have no option but to keep filling up as I go...plus, the insurance carriers love my work.....they keep my tank filled. :shrug:

zoney! said:

End? :lol:

We've been lucky here in the US for some time. We are just catching up to the rest of the world.

More and more people are needing gas/fuel/oil/natural energy in our world, meaning they cannot keep up with the production which supposedly means the price will continue to grow.

Invest now in oil companies.

:sad: Well I am utterley DEPRESSED now:crazy: :sigh:

randhail said:
I've got absolutely no love at all for the oil companies. They are robbing us blind and laughing all the way to the bank.

As for the argument that it is cheaper than a gallon of milk, that is true, but we don't go to the grocery store to buy 20 gallons every week.

agreed...:up: Does anyone know why this is so? What is going on with the economy??:confused: :shrug: :crazy:

randhail said:

Erm...
20 gallons, that's like 75 litres of gasoline. :eek:
A week! :shocked:
If we take an average car it rides approximately 14 kilometres per litre, so that's 1050 kilometres per week (or roughly 200 per day). If your work is at a set location, that is quite a distance. But then that would be your choice, to live so far away from work, so there's less justification to complain. Either live closer to the city or find a job closer to home if you don't want to use that much gasoline.

P.S. Like I also posted in the gasoline thread in FYM, here's an interesting stat about gasoline prices all over the world:
http://www.trouw.nl/rubriek/1123070046158.html

Popmartijn said:

P.S. Like I also posted in the gasoline thread in FYM, here's an interesting stat about gasoline prices all over the world:
http://www.trouw.nl/rubriek/1123070046158.html

That list is awfully skewed. If you want a more accurate snapshot of gas prices within a given country, then you're gonna have to either figure out a mean and/or get an average out of all stations within said country. Otherwise you might as well pull the name of a city out of a hat (which, it seems, is what they have done) :huh:

Popmartijn said:
Erm...
when i drove, i went through about 13 gallons a week. why did i live so far away from where i worked? because i worked in an industrial area. the closest apartment complex to there is NOT a good one.

i liked it back when i drove and was in high school. it took me a month to go through a tank of gas (the aforementioned 13 gallons). of course this was back when gas was like $1.09 a gallon, but i was also making next to no money so while it sucks i used so little while it was so cheap (errr, i suppose it sounds better to say i used so much once it got so expensive here), i couldn't have afforded to use more anyway.

Cleasai said:
That list is awfully skewed. If you want a more accurate snapshot of gas prices within a given country, then you're gonna have to either figure out a mean and/or get an average out of all stations within said country. Otherwise you might as well pull the name of a city out of a hat (which, it seems, is what they have done) :huh:

Is it that skewed? In that list, the US location is about $2,80 per gallon. From what's posted here, there's a fluctuation of about 25 to 30 cents over the USA (both above and below). That's about 10%.
I assume that it's that much at most in other countries too (probably even less).
So the US price is then between 0.56 and 0.68 cents/litre. So they might be closer to Brazil then (0.69 to 0.85 cents/litre) or to South Africa (0.47 to 0.57 cents/litre). That doesn't change much in the total figure, IMO.

Yes you are right. However $.30 is a lot to be off by. I can only imagine that, that $.30 can change the dynamics of the list. Of course I wouldn't really know until I sit down and figure out the math.

Cleasai said:
Yes you are right. However $.30 is a lot to be off by. I can only imagine that, that $.30 can change the dynamics of the list. Of course I wouldn't really know until I sit down and figure out the math.

Well, $.30 per gallon is about $.08 per litre which is about .06 or .07 eurocents per litre. Which isn't that much in that list.
:)

Popmartijn said:

Erm...
If we take an average car it rides approximately 14 kilometres per litre, so that's 1050 kilometres per week (or roughly 200 per day). If your work is at a set location, that is quite a distance. But then that would be your choice, to live so far away from work, so there's less justification to complain. Either live closer to the city or find a job closer to home if you don't want to use that much gasoline.
[/url]

If I can't complain about the cost of gas, then can I complain more about the sky high real estate market that prevents me from living closer to my job? If I take a job closer to home, then I can't afford to live in my current area. Anyway you look at it I'm getting screwed. We have to work, we have to live somewhere, and we have to buy gas...we just don't have to get ripped off doing it.

Last edited:
bammo2 said:
89.9 pence per litre

ie US$1.63 per litre

which is US$6.151 per gallon (there are 3.785 litres in a us gallon, righ? :scratch: )

$1.28 AUD/litre
1 litre = 3.78 gallons...3.87 x 1.28= $4.83 a gallon, in Aus dollars.

No? That seems awfully high. :confused:

Ok, I can do this. :shifty:

$1.28 AUD = 0.97 USD
So..0.97 x 3.785 = $3.67

Someone on another forum who lives in California just posted that a few if the independent gas stations in his area have been closing. The reason? They have hand-written signs that say, "Closed. Can't afford to buy gas".

Imagine how bad things are going to get when the little guys go under and the only ones left are the big guys, and they take advantage by gouging.

All I'm saying is, you chose to work where you do and you chose to live where you do. Nobody makes you do anything.

Look, I don't complain about gas prices much because I need my car and that's that.

But this above comment is far too simplistic. Some of us do highly technical, skilled work which you can't "choose" to do anywhere. You work where your specific research group is! What is my alternative? To go work at a Domino's because that's more convenient? I have a specific specialization and I do a specific type of research which is rare and I cannot "choose" to do something else because a) I am not trained for it, b) I didn't spend that many years in school to do something else. As for living where I do, if you lived in one of the most expensive cities on the continent, and you worked in the most expensive area of that city, and relied on public GRANT money to get paid, you would not have a "choice" as to where you live because you could not afford to live in this neighbourhood. It's just that simple. A car costs me half of what a shithole apartment would within walking distance of my work. And that's why I don't complain about gas prices. But at the same time some of you seem to be under the impression that it's possible for all of us to make the alternative choices you have made. And that is just completely unrealistic for many people.

I agree, but like you said, I've never heard you complain about gas prices.

The poster who I was replying to sounds like he wants to blame everything on everyone else and complain, complain, complain. All the moaning and groaning gets really old after a while, especially when all of us living in the States, no matter where we are or what we do, have it way better than those in Europe and other places. Everyone's in the same boat here and we'll all have to make sacrifices eventually. I'm cancelling my weekend plans b/c I can't afford refilling the gas tank, but that's life and I'll leave it at that. I'm more frustrated with the attitude that people shouldn't have to even consider alternative choices, like car-pooling, or a more efficient vehicle, etc. I know it's not realistic for everyone to move w/in walking distance of their job. It's more the woe-is-me attitude that gets on my nerves.

Back
Top Bottom