Garth to be on Academy of Country Music Awards.... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Anyone else read the thread title and get a visual of Dana Carvey in a blond wig and glasses playing drums at the Country Music Awards?
Excellent.
remember him on the ZooTV screen playing drums??

Old 05-19-2005, 10:19 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 04:59 AM

Don't really get it....so I just won't post this topic any more.....seems everyone here has a problem with Country so I won't ever mention Country music again.

Said and done.

Old 05-19-2005, 10:28 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

"Garth" was a Saturday Night Live character of Dana Carvey. Hewson was not saying anything negative about Garth Brooks, just that when s/he saw the title s/he thought of that Garth, not Garth Brooks. And then I remembered during a live broadcast during ZooTV they had the Dana Carvey Garth character playing drums along with U2. It was hilarious.

I'm sorry you're offended. This forum does not have a lot of country music fans but several of us have said quite nice things about Garth Brooks.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:56 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America
When country music stopped playing Cash, Loretta Lynn, Willie, and George Jones country music died.

Country music has no soul anymore.
There's plenty of soul in alt.country artists like Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle and even Emmy Lou Harris. Pop country is a whole other thing. But there are as many different kinds of country music as there are rock music.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:13 AM   #20
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:59 PM
Unanswered Prayers and The Dance are two of my favourite songs

I saw Garth on the show and thought he looked great
Old 05-19-2005, 11:24 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
"Garth" was a Saturday Night Live character of Dana Carvey. Hewson was not saying anything negative about Garth Brooks, just that when s/he saw the title s/he thought of that Garth, not Garth Brooks. And then I remembered during a live broadcast during ZooTV they had the Dana Carvey Garth character playing drums along with U2. It was hilarious.

I'm sorry you're offended. This forum does not have a lot of country music fans but several of us have said quite nice things about Garth Brooks.
I believe it was during the MTV video awards that Carvey was hosting in 1992, the ZooTV show was from Detroit (Pontiac) if memory serves. U2 was shown doing EBTTRT on the MTV awards, and "Garth" played drums along with the song, and was broadcast on the ZooTV screens at the show.( and Hewson is a he)

And wizard2c...Garth is Wayne's sidekick from the Wayne's World skit (and subsequent movies) from Saturday Night Live. Though he does have a last name (which I can't currently recall), he is always just referred to as Garth, whereas in my world, Garth Brooks is not of the Prince, Madonna or Bono status of being known by only one name, he is "Garth Brooks". So at first glance at your thread title, thats what came to mind, especially since he's done an awards show in the past.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:23 PM   #22
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Though he does have a last name (which I can't currently recall), he is always just referred to as Garth, whereas in my world, Garth Brooks is not of the Prince, Madonna or Bono status of being known by only one name, he is "Garth Brooks".
Garth Algar, I'm pretty sure.

I love those movies.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:34 PM   #23
New Yorker

Garth: Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played girl bunny?
Wayne: No... No.
Garth: Neither did I. I was just asking.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:39 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:59 AM
i think garth brooks was also the guest on the first episode of "muppets tonight". i think it was funny, too.

anyone know/remember what the hell i'm talking about?
Old 05-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #25
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
i think garth brooks was also the guest on the first episode of "muppets tonight". i think it was funny, too.

anyone know/remember what the hell i'm talking about?
~plays along~

Yes and I remember REM on Sesame Street too
Old 05-19-2005, 06:27 PM   #26
War Child

Local Time: 10:59 PM
Quote:

There's plenty of soul in alt.country artists like Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle and even Emmy Lou Harris. Pop country is a whole other thing. But there are as many different kinds of country music as there are rock music.
I absolutely agree, I mean just look at my avatar. I'm a huge fan of country. I grew up on Patsy Cline, Willie, Cash etc and I love Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Emmy Lou Harris, etc but the Country Music Industry has ignored these folks. They ignored Johnny Cash with his last albums which arguably are some of his best works, they ignore Loretta Lynn's new album, they ignore Emmy Lou Harris. Now I think that can be said for all music industries but I think Country music is the worse offender of this crime.

Pop music still has a few bands with soul that sometimes inflatrate the mainstream, but Country radio, CMT, the industry as a whole has lost ALL soul. Just my opinion.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:50 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

wizard2c, don't let anyone around here stop you from posting about the artists you like. There are quite a few people here with far-reaching taste in music who might want to discuss them with you. Just ignore the dissenters.

And where I'm from, Garth IS in the first-name-only category.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:37 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America
I absolutely agree, I mean just look at my avatar. I'm a huge fan of country. I grew up on Patsy Cline, Willie, Cash etc and I love Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Emmy Lou Harris, etc but the Country Music Industry has ignored these folks. They ignored Johnny Cash with his last albums which arguably are some of his best works, they ignore Loretta Lynn's new album, they ignore Emmy Lou Harris. Now I think that can be said for all music industries but I think Country music is the worse offender of this crime.

Pop music still has a few bands with soul that sometimes inflatrate the mainstream, but Country radio, CMT, the industry as a whole has lost ALL soul. Just my opinion.
Ok, I see what you're saying and I totally agree with you. Loretta's new album (the one with Jack White) is just awesome. I put a song on a mix I made for a couple different people and they thought I was nuts. It was the only song on the mix they didn't like.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:42 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:59 AM
Quote:

Ok, I see what you're saying and I totally agree with you. Loretta's new album (the one with Jack White) is just awesome. I put a song on a mix I made for a couple different people and they thought I was nuts. It was the only song on the mix they didn't like.

crazy people. i don't really care for either of them usually (loretta lynn or anything jack white-related), but i thought what i heard was pretty decent.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:58 PM   #30
War Child

Quote:

Those 3 are great, especially Steve Earle. He's always's a good quote too. He calls Garth Brooks "the anti-hank"