Garth to be on Academy of Country Music Awards.... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Anyone else read the thread title and get a visual of Dana Carvey in a blond wig and glasses playing drums at the Country Music Awards?
Excellent.
remember him on the ZooTV screen playing drums??
__________________

__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 10:19 AM   #17
Refugee
 
wizard2c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,580
Local Time: 04:59 AM
reply

Don't really get it....so I just won't post this topic any more.....seems everyone here has a problem with Country so I won't ever mention Country music again.

Said and done.

__________________

__________________
wizard2c is offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 10:28 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 09:59 PM
"Garth" was a Saturday Night Live character of Dana Carvey. Hewson was not saying anything negative about Garth Brooks, just that when s/he saw the title s/he thought of that Garth, not Garth Brooks. And then I remembered during a live broadcast during ZooTV they had the Dana Carvey Garth character playing drums along with U2. It was hilarious.

I'm sorry you're offended. This forum does not have a lot of country music fans but several of us have said quite nice things about Garth Brooks.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 10:56 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America
When country music stopped playing Cash, Loretta Lynn, Willie, and George Jones country music died.

Country music has no soul anymore.
There's plenty of soul in alt.country artists like Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle and even Emmy Lou Harris. Pop country is a whole other thing. But there are as many different kinds of country music as there are rock music.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 11:13 AM   #20
fah
Blue Crack Addict
 
fah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In my house with the rest of fahs
Posts: 20,147
Local Time: 08:59 PM
Unanswered Prayers and The Dance are two of my favourite songs

I saw Garth on the show and thought he looked great
__________________
fah is offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 11:24 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict
 
Hewson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Your own private Idaho
Posts: 26,470
Local Time: 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
"Garth" was a Saturday Night Live character of Dana Carvey. Hewson was not saying anything negative about Garth Brooks, just that when s/he saw the title s/he thought of that Garth, not Garth Brooks. And then I remembered during a live broadcast during ZooTV they had the Dana Carvey Garth character playing drums along with U2. It was hilarious.

I'm sorry you're offended. This forum does not have a lot of country music fans but several of us have said quite nice things about Garth Brooks.
I believe it was during the MTV video awards that Carvey was hosting in 1992, the ZooTV show was from Detroit (Pontiac) if memory serves. U2 was shown doing EBTTRT on the MTV awards, and "Garth" played drums along with the song, and was broadcast on the ZooTV screens at the show.( and Hewson is a he)


And wizard2c...Garth is Wayne's sidekick from the Wayne's World skit (and subsequent movies) from Saturday Night Live. Though he does have a last name (which I can't currently recall), he is always just referred to as Garth, whereas in my world, Garth Brooks is not of the Prince, Madonna or Bono status of being known by only one name, he is "Garth Brooks". So at first glance at your thread title, thats what came to mind, especially since he's done an awards show in the past.
__________________
Hewson is offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 04:23 PM   #22
Refugee
 
XHendrix24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,496
Local Time: 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Though he does have a last name (which I can't currently recall), he is always just referred to as Garth, whereas in my world, Garth Brooks is not of the Prince, Madonna or Bono status of being known by only one name, he is "Garth Brooks".
Garth Algar, I'm pretty sure.

I love those movies.
__________________
XHendrix24 is offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 04:34 PM   #23
New Yorker
 
typhoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nowhere, New Mexico
Posts: 3,009
Local Time: 09:59 PM
Garth: Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played girl bunny?
Wayne: No... No.
Garth: Neither did I. I was just asking.
__________________
typhoon is offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 04:39 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,503
Local Time: 12:59 AM
i think garth brooks was also the guest on the first episode of "muppets tonight". i think it was funny, too.

anyone know/remember what the hell i'm talking about?
__________________
IWasBored is offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #25
fah
Blue Crack Addict
 
fah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: In my house with the rest of fahs
Posts: 20,147
Local Time: 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
i think garth brooks was also the guest on the first episode of "muppets tonight". i think it was funny, too.

anyone know/remember what the hell i'm talking about?
~plays along~

Yes and I remember REM on Sesame Street too
__________________
fah is offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 06:27 PM   #26
War Child
 
Do Miss America's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In Ryan's Pocket
Posts: 738
Local Time: 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl


There's plenty of soul in alt.country artists like Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle and even Emmy Lou Harris. Pop country is a whole other thing. But there are as many different kinds of country music as there are rock music.
I absolutely agree, I mean just look at my avatar. I'm a huge fan of country. I grew up on Patsy Cline, Willie, Cash etc and I love Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Emmy Lou Harris, etc but the Country Music Industry has ignored these folks. They ignored Johnny Cash with his last albums which arguably are some of his best works, they ignore Loretta Lynn's new album, they ignore Emmy Lou Harris. Now I think that can be said for all music industries but I think Country music is the worse offender of this crime.

Pop music still has a few bands with soul that sometimes inflatrate the mainstream, but Country radio, CMT, the industry as a whole has lost ALL soul. Just my opinion.
__________________
Do Miss America is offline  
Old 05-19-2005, 08:50 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
HeartlandGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 6,829
Local Time: 09:59 PM
wizard2c, don't let anyone around here stop you from posting about the artists you like. There are quite a few people here with far-reaching taste in music who might want to discuss them with you. Just ignore the dissenters.

And where I'm from, Garth IS in the first-name-only category.
__________________
HeartlandGirl is offline  
Old 05-20-2005, 06:37 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America
I absolutely agree, I mean just look at my avatar. I'm a huge fan of country. I grew up on Patsy Cline, Willie, Cash etc and I love Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, Emmy Lou Harris, etc but the Country Music Industry has ignored these folks. They ignored Johnny Cash with his last albums which arguably are some of his best works, they ignore Loretta Lynn's new album, they ignore Emmy Lou Harris. Now I think that can be said for all music industries but I think Country music is the worse offender of this crime.

Pop music still has a few bands with soul that sometimes inflatrate the mainstream, but Country radio, CMT, the industry as a whole has lost ALL soul. Just my opinion.
Ok, I see what you're saying and I totally agree with you. Loretta's new album (the one with Jack White) is just awesome. I put a song on a mix I made for a couple different people and they thought I was nuts. It was the only song on the mix they didn't like.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 05-21-2005, 03:42 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,503
Local Time: 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl


Ok, I see what you're saying and I totally agree with you. Loretta's new album (the one with Jack White) is just awesome. I put a song on a mix I made for a couple different people and they thought I was nuts. It was the only song on the mix they didn't like.

crazy people. i don't really care for either of them usually (loretta lynn or anything jack white-related), but i thought what i heard was pretty decent.
__________________
IWasBored is offline  
Old 06-19-2005, 07:58 PM   #30
War Child
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 537
Local Time: 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl


There's plenty of soul in alt.country artists like Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle and even Emmy Lou Harris. Pop country is a whole other thing. But there are as many different kinds of country music as there are rock music.
Those 3 are great, especially Steve Earle. He's always's a good quote too. He calls Garth Brooks "the anti-hank"
__________________

__________________
CPTLCTYGOOFBALL is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com