Garden State

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Have any of you seen this movie starring Zach Braff, Natalie Portman and Peter Saargard?

News outlets are saying that it might just be the twenty-something movie that so many of us have been waiting for - a new "Reality Bites" if you will. And boy, IT IS. It really is.

I saw it last night and although I don't want to spoil the intracacies of the dynamic between the characters and lives, I will say that you should be prepared to laugh through your tears. Yes folks, if you aren't touched by this, well, I don't know what to tell you. I was truly moved.

I'm not in a 'select city'. :down:

I almost want to see this movie just to hear the soundtrack (though it does look quite good), that would be good enough for me.

Last edited:
I've been looking forward to seeing this for a while. Soundtrack sounds awesome as well. :up:

i can't wait to see this movie!! good movies never end up in our theatres, either, so i might have to wait for the dvd release. i've looooved zach braff since i first started watching scrubs. i think he's got a lot of talent. and he's not so hard on the eyes, either. :wink:

I saw the film last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have to say though, from the moment I first saw the trailer, I was hooked.

I've seen Scrubs once or twice, but I had no idea Zach Braff was this talented. Not only as an actor, but to have written and directed such a special movie his first time out is quite a feat.

And he has great taste in music, as others have said. Frou Frou, Iron and Wine, Nick Drake, The Shins, Thievery Corporation, Coldplay....wow.

Bonus points for a great performance by Natalie Portman.

So many memorable scenes from this movie that I won't soon forget.

Go see it!

u2popmofo said:
I almost want to see this movie just to hear the soundtrack (though it does look quite good), that would be good enough for me.

My thoughts exactly. Spin [was it Spin? I can't remember] had an article about the soundtrack detailing their favourite songs from it and the scenes they were used in... I hadn't really an interest in the movie before that but it suddenly started to look quite good after reading the article.

I went and saw this this afternoon, partly because of this thread. I really liked it very much. Natalie Portman was great, and the rest of the cast was wonderful as well.

I was a bit melancholy, though, and parts of the movie didn't help any. Steve left early this morning for another nine months away at school. All that leaving and love and stuff...

(You'll have to put up with this till the journals go back up.)

But I recommend this movie! :up:

I've been waiting for months to see this! I think it will be playing at the indie theatre in Cleveland now...I must go see it asap.

I'm going to go see it tomorrow.

How much do I want to see it?

I haven't seen a movie in a theatre since Return of the King.

I've been looking forward to this movie since I caught the trailer for it before Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. :up:

I didn't think that it was showing here, so I double checked online movie listings and found that it is in fact playing near me! :hyper: Hopefully I'll be able to see it sometime this weekend.

I have assumed for months that this was the movie based on Rick Moody's (author of The Ice Storm) book of the same name, but just found out it's not. The trailor had such a Rick Moody feel to it. Looking forward to seeing it anyway, though.

I saw and LOVED it. U2popmofo NEEDS to see it. Needs to!

I was a bit dissapointed with the ending, though - yet don't want to ruin it for others.

I almost bought the soundtrack yesterday.

martha said:
I was a bit melancholy, though, and parts of the movie didn't help any. Steve left early this morning for another nine months away at school. All that leaving and love and stuff...

I finally saw Garden State today. I loved it. Great story, great characters, terrific music, some very funny and touching scenes. But yeah, I cried in my car on the way home. It wasn't so long ago that I had to drop off someone I love dearly at the airport and say goodbye like that. And one of the first songs that person ever had me listen to was New Slang by The Shins. I felt like I was watching pieces of my own life, and I guess that's the sign of a good film.

I finally saw this tonight and loved it. However, it left me feeling a bit down for the rest of the evening.

Seen Garden State 3 times: once in New York (the day it came out only in NY and LA), once in San Francisco, and once in (wait for it...wait for it...) Lafayette! Haha...what a lackluster final viewing. But it's a bloody fantastic movie. I'm also an aspiring filmmaker, so the success story that is this movie is just great!

Back
Top Bottom