Gamers Zone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a huge part of the problem for Nintendo was that it had always been mainly about kids' games. Yes, it did occasionally branch out but if you think of Nintendo you think of DK, Mario, etc. Therefore when Sony came along and firmly pitched gaming as something for all ages (its mascots ranged from Lara Croft to Spyro), Nintendo was heading for trouble.

I saw an advertisement for Ultimate Spiderman yesterday and thought that perhaps I was being too harsh and that a lot of PS2 games are being rather innovative. However, is Ultimate Spiderman really so original? Yes, it seems to have a freedom to go whereever you like in a city but didn't they start doing that in Spiderman 2? And the idea of being able to play as another character is nothing new, they've just expanded that idea hugely.

Perhaps all this was inevitable, gaming has been around for decades now, perhaps there are no new ideas to be explored, but when I see games like ICO I find that very hard to believe.

Yes, Nintendo has a fair big reputation for being about kids games.. but there are other games available for it. Personally I prefer the Gamecube controller to the PS2. Actually if I were being picky, I'd say my favourite controller was the N64. The trigger button!! That was genius!

I'm bumping up this months old thread to say one thing:

The Movies. I WANT THIS GAME!!! (And a decent top-spec PC to play it on).

I love/loved the N64. True, it didn't have a huge selection of great games, but the great games it did have were truely great...Mario 64, Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire, Goldeneye 007, Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time :drool: And as previously mentioned, the controller was genius.

XBox and XBox 360 are everything that's wrong with video games today.

Playstation 2 owns XBox/XBox 360(that's why I'm getting a PS2 in the next week).

I loved the N64, great console which unfortunately lived in the Playstations shadow.
Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye still remain 2 of my favourite games to this day.
And, as has been said, a superb controller too.

I often get stick for this, but I really can't stand most of the games around today.
I just don't find most of todays games fun anymore, it seems to be graphics-over-gameplay these days.

I haven't brought a new games console/ video game for 2 years now, and judging by what I've seen from my brothers and cousins PS2's (which I used to own myself), Gamecubes and X-Boxes Im not missing much at all.

The last new console I owned was a Playstation 2 a few years back.
I loved the first Playstation and was expecting big things, sadly I was hugely dissappointed and wasted a fortune on crap, overrated games.
Final Fantasy X and Metal Gear Solid 2 were the final straw for me, MGS2 took me just a few hours to complete (and believe me, Im no whiz on video games) and compared to the previous 3 Final Fantasy games, Final Fantasy X was utterly pathetic - linear, boring, frustrating, rubbish characters and lacking everything that made the previous games so great.

So these days I just happily stick with my old PS1, N64 and SNES (still my favourite games console).
Sure the graphics may not be a patch on the newer consoles, but I find the games on those consoles far more enjoyable than the newer games. :)

Last edited:
hedgehog said:
I loved the N64, great console which unfortunately lived in the Playstations shadow.
Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye still remain 2 of my favourite games to this day.
And, as has been said, a superb controller too.

I often get stick for this, but I really can't stand most of the games around today.
I just don't find most of todays games fun anymore, it seems to be graphics-over-gameplay these days.

I haven't brought a new games console/ video game for 2 years now, and judging by what I've seen from my brothers and cousins PS2's (which I used to own myself), Gamecubes and X-Boxes Im not missing much at all.

The last new console I owned was a Playstation 2 a few years back.
I loved the first Playstation and was expecting big things, sadly I was hugely dissappointed and wasted a fortune on crap, overrated games.
Final Fantasy X and Metal Gear Solid 2 were the final straw for me, MGS2 took me just a few hours to complete (and believe me, Im no whiz on video games) and compared to the previous 3 Final Fantasy games, Final Fantasy X was utterly pathetic - linear, boring, frustrating, rubbish characters and lacking everything that made the previous games so great.

So these days I just happily stick with my old PS1, N64 and SNES (still my favourite games console).
Sure the graphics may not be a patch on the newer consoles, but I find the games on those consoles far more enjoyable than the newer games. :)

You're right for the most part.

But there are some games worth getting for the PS2.

So people keep saying, I used to keep on buying these so called good games.
It's very rare that any of them turn out to be any good.

I got sick of wasting my money on games everyone said were "absolutely amazing", video games are not cheap and everytime I spent £40 on crap games which were supposed to be good I felt as if I had "mug" written across my forehead.
It will take something truly big/ great to get me back into video games again, until then Sony/ Nintendo are not getting another penny of my money.

I'll have to get back to you if any of the games I purchased for the PS2(that I won't have for a few days to a week yet) are good.

TheQuiet1 said:
A quick prediction for the next gen console games:

Nintendo next gen:

Link XXIIII
Mario Bros. Now in 4D!!
Mario Kart V
Pokemon Teal edition!
A Donkey Kong Spin-off which is just down-right bizarre.
Various 'updated' versions of SNES classics like F-Zero that are somehow identical to the originals but with better grpahics and ruined gameplay.

PS3:

Another hackneyed shoot-em-up/stealth-em-up concept. (x500)
Another FF with hours of cutscenes/character dialogue voiced by the most inappropriate people possible.
Latest sports games with identical gameplay but updated teams.
One decent and original game that won't be advertised and will never see the light of day again because 'it isn't what sells'.

X-Box next gen:

Identical games to the PS3 but with better graphics.

A note on the 'next gen' console names. My research was obviously exhaustive and knowledge unsurpassible :| (feed off the sarcasm people). ;)

Yeah, I know cynicism isn't good for me but I just feel like no-one's trying anymore! The only remotely original games these days seem to come out on PCs which is fair enough. But PC games always seem to have bugs, need patches and within a year the top-of-the-range computer that you just paid the Earth for becomes unable to play the latest releases anyway! (I'm exaggerating I do that when I'm annoyed.)
Great post, I agree with every word of that.
Sad that the future of the video game industry has become this way really.

Anyways, a few of my favourites I have fond memories of:

Super Mario Bros (1, 2 and 3)
Super Mario World
Legend Of Zelda (most of them, but mainly Link To The Past and Ocarina Of Time).
Megaman 2 and Megaman X were great fun.
Secret Of Mana.
Cool Spot and Plok (technically mediocre platformers, but somehow I adored both)
Final Fantasy (IV-IX, VII being my favourite - what an amazing game that was)
Super Mario Kart
Super Bomberman (fond memories of playing with friends on the multi player mode on that),:drool:
Duke Nukem 3D
Doom
Wolfenstien 3D
Super Mario 64
Goldeneye
Dr. Mario
Tetris
Super Metriod
The Castlevania series (don't remember any specific ones, but I always enjoyed these games)

I've been playing a lot of Perfect Dark Zero lately and it's taking me back to the good ole GoldenEye/PD N64 days.

And good days they were.

inmyplace13 said:
I've been playing a lot of Perfect Dark Zero lately and it's taking me back to the good ole GoldenEye/PD N64 days.

And good days they were.

Goldeneye is the greatest shooter of all time :rockon:

Topic=THE THREAD OF MY DREAMS! :love:

I absoultely love video games! (Huge Nintendo fanboy here)

I can't wait to download all the old classics on Revolution. -toasts chocolate milX- HOORAY!!!

Of course I must have to say my favorite games I'm playing at the moment are:
-Castlevania Dawn Of Sorrow (Nintendo DS)
-Metroid Prime 2 Echoes (Nintendo Gamecube)
-Final Fantasy IV (GameBoy Advance)

And of course, Super Smash Bros. Melee, which is the best multiplayer game of all time, FACT. I challenge you all. :hyper:

On topiX: I am mostest looking forward to Our Teh Nintendo Revolution. and i liXes it alot!

i like nintendo and xbox. i've been a nintendo fangirl since the beginning, back when i got an nes for christmas as a kid :wink: i had quite a few nintendo cartridges but i remember my favourites were pretty much the classics, super mario bros. and legend of zelda. i remember playing zelda for hooooours every night when i'd get home from school, and my dad helping me out too. and then we finally beat the game! :drool:

i kinda got out of playing video games as i got a little bit older and didn't own a super nintendo or anything. i got a sega genesis for christmas of 92 but i told my mom she could take it back - biggest mistake of my life :( a couple months later i moved and luckily a neighbour had the system so i'd go over to her house and play sonic.

i'm still kind of a nintendo fangirl at heart - i finally broke down and bought a gamecube when it came out in the pretty silver colour, although i've been too lazy to hook it up to my television since i've moved. i've still got my nes too - still works, even - but i don't have that hooked up either.

as i said, i never owned a super nintendo or an N64 just because i wasn't too much of a big fan of gaming at the time, but i did play games on both consoles. one thing i do remember is kicking my cousin's ass at goldeneye and him getting all mad because i kept winning even though i'd never played the game before. and plus, girls aren't supposed to beat boys at video games :giggle:

i also used to have an xbox but due to circumstances out of my control, i don't have one anymore. i think i still have games for it though which is kind of weird. i've been holding off on getting a new xbox to wait and see if the games i had would be backwards compatible with the xbox 360 so i'd see which one made more sense to get. i'd rather not get two game systems, especially since i'm not made of money :wink:

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
I agree that noone seems to be trying anymore... Nintendo has been doing nothing but rehashing old games, and they've maybe had 4 or 5 games with the GC that were original concepts, coupled with good execution... the rest of them were remakes, or ass.

Microsoft and Sony rehash just as much as Nintendo does.

I would hate to bring up that the 12th installment of Final Fantasy series is coming up, as well as Halo 3, Devil may cry 4, metal gear solid 4, dead or alive 4 (volleyball 2 probably coming up), dragon quest 8, GTA liberty city stories, Madden 2007 I could go on...

I think Nintendo is doing alot more to further the gaming industry than Microsoft or Sony ever will. Has anyone here even played the DS? or seen the concept for the Revolution controller? If that's not innovative and fresh for the gaming community, I don't know what is.

The reason why Nintendo is last is because they just don't market well for this age. They don't give the casual gamer what they want, and casual gamers are flooding the market. That's why a quality game like Psychonauts or Phoenix Wright get no publicity or fall short of their deserved praise while 50Cent: BulletProof is a top-seller at stores and media sales charts. The Nintendo DS has a huge lead in worldwide sales over the PSP, and that's good news for Nintendo fans like me. The company is always "doomed" to everyone. Yet they are still around. Their 3rd place position is not bad considering with Zelda: Twilight Princess coming out this year, it should boost sales of GCN. Xbox is only a few million in front. I think the gap can be significantly closed by the end of the year, in my opinion. Also with the weak sales of the XBOX360, especially in Japan (Even the DS and PSP are outselling its 1st week on the market, after being released a year ago) it shows that Microsoft may not repeat its sucess with the original Xbox.

Sony on the other hand, is a giant. And while they lose profit every year. They have such a huge lead, that it doesnt even matter. But i'm glad that Nintendo is actually gaining market share thanks to the huge success of the DS. Games like Nintendogs show that the company is really trying to carve out a niche for it's gamers and offer new experiences in the video game world. Because all everyone wants is what they think is "cool" they want to hold a gun and cut off heads, and do hookers. Thats really the sad truth. Great gameplay is over shadowed by mediocre storylines, bad dialogue, and crumby controls masked by pretty graphics.

People will buy into hype, and that's what people market now. I just hope Nintendo can set an example because I really like where they are going with their next console. The controller is very interesting to me, and I think if anyone can pull the video game industry out of its stagnant rehashing ways, it's Nintendo. they have alot of experience now as to what gamers want, and even though the GC was a disappointment to some (not me though) i think it helped them learn from their mistakes and I think they are going to correct alot of them on the Revolution.

Super Smash Bros. Online ForTheWin!

^I agree with you about Nintendo DS (I can't comment on the other things because I don't really know much about them). Not only is the DS a truly new idea but IT ACTUALLY LOOKS REALLY FUN. Because personally I've always thought that hand-held consoles (and especially the graphics-heavy PSP) always seemed to be a pale imitation of the home consoles. I mean the games on them might be OK, good even, but you'd always be thinking at the back of your mind, "This would be so much better [and easier!] on a TV screen"...but for the record I've never owned a hand-held console so this is purely speculation on my part.

As regards FFX, tell me about it Hedgehog! I didn't even make it through the demo I was so sick of the persistent waffling by the dialogue box!

Nonetheless I am thinking about buying a PS2 later on in the year (as opposed to borrowing my brother's) but then I'm wondering if it's really worth it. The PS3 will be out soon and I don't want to be spending cash on something that within a few months (well, a year or so, I guess really) you won't be able to get games for for love nor money!

Got 007 From Russia With Love for Christmas and... I really enjoy it. They've honed the third person controls from Everything Or Nothing and made it easier. Plus... Sean Connery!! Wooo! The multiplayer is quite fun as well offering jetpacks, Q-Copters and even vehicles.

The game itself is pretty challenging.. well I have found it to be so far and I only have it set on Operative.

You earn skill points and research points. You can spend the skill points on bonus movies, production art or multiplayer characters. The research points you use to upgrade weapons, armour and gadgets. As I learned early on.. it's best to upgrade your armour first off.

All in all, I really enjoy this installment of the Bond series. Maybe they will do more of these retro games.

I've been quite obsessed with Age Of Empires III lately. I got it for Christmas and it has been a pleasure to play, so far. I'm not so sure if I like the way that the gameplay has been dumbed down (i.e. you don't have to build mines when you want villagers to collect gold, villagers can keep collecting food from mills until infinity, etc.) and I also miss the lack of military formation (unless that feature's still there and I've just failed to locate it). But the additions they've made do make it quite interesting to play. The idea of having a home city is quite fun, despite the fact that their shipments, in most cases, are pretty worthless. I mean, really, what are you going to do with 300 food? I don't mind the artillary shipments, however. Those do come in handy. One major improvement to the game is that the campaigns are actually fun. The more involved storylines actually make me care about my hero units. In AOE II, I couldn't have cared less about them. For fun, I used to send Joan Of Arc straight into English territory and watch them destroy her.

But anyway, yes, a very fun game. Proof that AOE is still the best when it comes to strategy games!

I got Age Of Empires III for my son for Christmas. I should I say "Santa" brought it for him. He loves the game. Of course I remember playing the first one ages and ages ago. Of coure in the first one, I use to cheat and get the car and drive around killing all the enemies.

I know that was very bad of me, but it was funny to watch. :reject:

Anybody played Civilization IV. That is supposed to be one of the best games of the year. (Up there with Resident Evil 4, which I love)

I've never played those type of games. I couldn't really get into computer games, the only one being Diablo II which i was obsessed with. Those MMORPGs really suck your life away so I stopped playing that. But PC is having some good titles, I just can't seem to make myself buy them. I know Half-Life 2 is one of the best games also, perhaps I'll purchase that.

I'm actually look forward to the remake of Final Fantasy III for the DS, hopefully we'll get some new info on that. Kingdom Hearts 2 is shaping up to be a contender for game of the year 2006. It's already broken the million mark 3 days in to its Japanese release. (although those are shipped, not sold, #s) so it's obviously a gigantic hit there. We'll see how it does in the states. Mega Man X Collection is also coming soon :drool: and finally a new 2D Super Mario Brothers is coming for the DS, as well as Pokemon Diamond and Pearl which will definitely be huge sellers. Lots of great PS2/3 titles coming up like Okami, MGS4, Xenosaga III, Suikoden, and even Dirge of Cerebus is looking good, although I'm a little annoyed with the whoring out of the Final Fantasy 7 franchise :tsk:. Can't wait. What a great year for video games coming up my posting chums! Happy gaming!

mdw3935 said:
Of coure in the first one, I use to cheat and get the car and drive around killing all the enemies.

I know that was very bad of me, but it was funny to watch. :reject:

I did that too! Except I got the car AND about ten of the guys with the lasers. Those poor Greeks never stood a chance.

I also got AOE III. I must say, AOE II + the Conquerors is just as satisfying (maybe even more so) from a strategy perspective. But the graphics on AOE III are the real guilty pleasure.

I also got Civilization IV, but haven't started playing yet. I here it is quite addictive.

If I only have a couple minutes for playing, I usually am loading Star Wars Battlefront II - a nice improvement over BF1

I tried Star Wars BF II, but I totally suck at that. I can only last a few seconds w/out being killed. My son had me try playing a Jedi and that was laughable. Lets just say I don't make a good Jedi.

Civilization IV looks pretty good, we got a trial version with a PC Gamer magazine. I know how easy it is for you to get hooked on those MMORPGs. I got so sucked up into WoW. :crazy: I use to laugh at my husband for wasting time playing games and then I got hooked. I haven't played in a few months, really don't have time to. I'll jump on our other shuttle for a few minutes if my son or husband are playing a good game and then take them on.

You know what they: A family that plays together, stays together. :wink:

mdw3935 said:
I tried Star Wars BF II, but I totally suck at that. I can only last a few seconds w/out being killed. My son had me try playing a Jedi and that was laughable. Lets just say I don't make a good Jedi.

Civilization IV looks pretty good, we got a trial version with a PC Gamer magazine. I know how easy it is for you to get hooked on those MMORPGs. I got so sucked up into WoW. :crazy: I use to laugh at my husband for wasting time playing games and then I got hooked. I haven't played in a few months, really don't have time to. I'll jump on our other shuttle for a few minutes if my son or husband are playing a good game and then take them on.

You know what they: A family that plays together, stays together. :wink:

The only things my parents ever loved to play was Mario.

They still call ever video games "playing nintendo" hahah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom