Gamers Zone - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2006, 01:59 AM   #136
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
Let me just pull this pillow over my lap...

Old 01-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #137
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

i might get an xbox 360 only because i don't have an xbox anymore, but not until the price drops
That's really my problem with this whole industry- by the time a console drops to anything approaching a reasonable price it becomes obsolete by the next gen console and within a year the games for it are become increasingly hard to find.

As for the general state of the gaming industry...I think with certain genres there were significant improvements being made in terms of gameplay (The PS2 MoH games are a huge leap on the PSone ones, for example) but that's the problem, PS2 games only seemed to improve on PSone gameplay (as you'd expect); there was no real improvement in games as the console aged IMHO. Think about the blocky 3D graphics the PSone had on its release and compare it to what it had at its finish. You can't see that same progression with PS2 games, either in terms of graphics or gameplay.

The other major problem is the heavy focus on certain genres. There have been 'different' games on the PS2 ('A Dog's Life', a really cool RPG that I can't remeber the name of where you built your own world...etc) but the vast majority of games belonged to one of only a few genres. Which is great if you love FPS but not so good if you like, I dunno, platformers (In fact, the PS2 oversaw the deathknell of Crash and Spyro).

Basically I think the PS2 had a lot more potential than was actually fully explored by game developers and with the PS3 due out that potential will probably never be explored now as they turn their attention to the new console.

Am surprised about the XBox 360 reaction in the USA and Japan though, you can't get one for love nor money here.

Old 01-08-2006, 10:53 AM   #138
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:11 AM
........... do you guys think I should retire my controllers and hang up the game playing?

I am almost compelled to do so, but maybe I'm just going about it in the wrong way these days.

DOA vollyball was an interesting game, for a while.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #139
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:11 AM
I've recently discovered the wonderful of emulators. Been geeking out on old SNES games like NHL 94, Super Mario All-Stars, and Star Fox all week.

Some of my favourite music has to be old videogame themes, hehe.

F-Zero
Old 01-08-2006, 04:16 PM   #140
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by TheQuiet1
That's really my problem with this whole industry- by the time a console drops to anything approaching a reasonable price it becomes obsolete by the next gen console and within a year the games for it are become increasingly hard to find.
yep, exactly. i've got my xbox games so you'd think it'd make more sense for me to get an xbox, right? i mean, now that the xbox 360 is out, they're going to be really cheap. i can get a used one still under warranty so if something breaks, i'm okay.

but what if any new games interest me? i'm screwed. i'll have to get an xbox 360 and the cycle will repeat all over again in another few years. and i don't want my television to be overtaken by video game consoles.

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
I've recently discovered the wonderful of emulators. Been geeking out on old SNES games like NHL 94, Super Mario All-Stars, and Star Fox all week.
emulators
Old 01-08-2006, 10:51 PM   #141
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:11 AM
Emulators ARE incredibly

Someone posted a Mario one.
Here's one for all you Legend Of Zelda
They have a forum and FAQ if anyone has trouble playing the games.
HAVE FUN!

http://www.zeldaclassic.com/
Old 01-13-2006, 10:32 AM   #142
Refugee

Here's a little video I found on another website. I heard it was rather old but still interesting to watch. Super Mario 64 completed in 16 minutes? Real or fake?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...22340610946105
Old 01-13-2006, 11:09 AM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by daafish
Here's a little video I found on another website. I heard it was rather old but still interesting to watch. Super Mario 64 completed in 16 minutes? Real or fake?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...22340610946105

daafish

where have you been!!
Old 01-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Ok well now that the Super Mario 64 speed run has been posted. I'll share one of the most frighteningly amazing performances of video game skill I've ever seen. Behold Super Mario Bros. 3 in 11 minutes.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...1267&q=mario+3
Old 01-20-2006, 05:28 PM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:11 AM
*I'm not letting this thread die, I know!*

11 minutes!!? It's taking me over 11 years! Speaking of NES, I found this: http://www.flashplayer.com/games/the8bitwizard.html

I scrapped just over half marks...not sure whether this is a good thing or not...
Old 01-20-2006, 05:47 PM   #146
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:11 AM
I can't imagine getting through Mario 3 in 11 minutes. If you used the warp whistles.. I can see you getting to World eight probably in half an hour. But then you won't have many items.. and as we all know. World 8 in Mario 3 is.. very, very hard!

Now for an embarassing fact, I've never beat Mario 1. And I can't work on it as our SNES crapped out last year(was using All-stars). Looking around for a replacement as there are so many great games on that system.. and you can get them pretty cheap now too.On the other hand I've beaten Super Mario World more times than I can count. I've gone through Mario 64 as well, but haven't collected all the stars. I remember reading somewhere that if you bounce off the castle walls and the green side that you can get up on the roof of the castle, and apparently, Yoshi is up there. Well let me tell you.... I tried this quite a few times and never made it to the roof. Anyone here ever try?
Old 01-20-2006, 06:24 PM   #147
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 03:11 AM
If I recall, Raven, Yoshi is on the roof but using wall-jumps to get up there is nigh impossible. If I recall, there's a cannon outside the castle somewhere that you have to activate and then you can shoot yourself up there... but I haven't played through the game in years, so my memory is a little sketchy.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:04 PM   #148
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by catlhere
Emulators ARE incredibly

Someone posted a Mario one.
Here's one for all you Legend Of Zelda
They have a forum and FAQ if anyone has trouble playing the games.
HAVE FUN!

http://www.zeldaclassic.com/
how could i have missed this before! thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by RavenBlue
I can't imagine getting through Mario 3 in 11 minutes. If you used the warp whistles.. I can see you getting to World eight probably in half an hour. But then you won't have many items.. and as we all know. World 8 in Mario 3 is.. very, very hard!
god, tell me about it. i knew how to get all the warp whistles and i always did but my god...world 8 made me cry back in the day i think finally at one point i did manage to beat that game as a kid. i know a couple years ago when i hooked up my nintendo i beat mario 1 and 3 (come to think of it, i don't know if i ever did get mario 2 - i got it for my gba and i thought it kinda sucked) but world 8 on mario 3 was just as hard as i remembered it being.

Quote:
Originally posted by RavenBlue
Now for an embarassing fact, I've never beat Mario 1.
i remember it was kinda difficult to make it past all the umm...stuff bowser was throwing (it's been a while since i've played. i forget what he throws in 8-4. fire? those spikey things?) but if you can navigate it past it and either jump over bowser when he's on the ground or run under him when he jumps (this was always my strategy at least, hehe) then you win
Old 01-20-2006, 11:21 PM   #149
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

1, Bowser throws hammers if i remember correctly.

2. I beat mario 1, and i agree that its most likely the hardest one of the bunch. mario 2 is pretty difficult at times, but the warps help alot.

3. most of these time attacks for games are probably tool-assisted. i dont see how anyone could want to go through 3 1/2 mins of stress without making a mistake. if u screw up once, youd go crazy and shoot someone. so they probably use a tool to help them play the game frame by frame, those exist. kinda cheap, but hey, still fun to watch the end where he jumps on the bombs over and over to get lives. genious.

4. Mega Man X Collection just came out, go buy it. its good. if you like MM that is.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:37 PM   #150
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by catlhere
1, Bowser throws hammers if i remember correctly.

2. I beat mario 1, and i agree that its most likely the hardest one of the bunch. mario 2 is pretty difficult at times, but the warps help alot.
ooh, i see

i thought mario 3 was harder but mario 2 just sucks