Gamecube vs. X-Box - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2001, 01:04 AM   #1
Bad Daddy Johnny

Local Time: 02:53 PM
Gamecube vs. X-Box

I'm leaning toward the X-Box as of now, I need a DVD player and the X-Box is one. Does the gamecube play DVDs?

I need to catch back up on the pros/cons of each system since I've been out of the loop for a while. Anyone know a site that has fair reviews of them?

------------------
This post brought to you by: MTV "It's only cool if it's profitable."

AIM: JuanSwallow

Old 11-16-2001, 01:13 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 11:53 AM
Try http://codes.ign.com/ , they're fairly reliable. The systems are linked on the left side of the page.

Old 11-17-2001, 05:12 PM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 07:53 PM
Get the GameCube. Better games IMO. No it doesn't play DVDs. Get a dvd player for dvds and a console for games. I'm sure you don't have one of those tv-vcr combos. Exactly
Old 11-17-2001, 06:24 PM   #4
The Fly

Get the XBox, it has Halo
Old 11-17-2001, 07:07 PM   #5
I serve MacPhisto

HALO is a small sacrifice to make for Rogue Leader and Smash Melee, not to mention Metroid... Plus GC has better graphics, and its not made by microsoft (always a plus in my books).
Old 11-17-2001, 07:40 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Heh..."Halo" will eventually be out on PC anyway. Developers have already said that X-Box games translate quickly for the PC, considering, really, the X-Box is all PC hardware.

Wanna know the guts of the X-Box? Pentium III 733 MHz processor, a modified GeForce3 250 MHz graphics processor built into the motherboard (which is actually modified from a pre-existing PC motherboard), and 64 Mb 200 MHz DDR RAM. Aside from that GeForce3, my own computer is faster. I've seen the screenshots / movie clips for "Halo" and I've seen screenshots / movie clips for games on GameCube. X-Box doesn't look nearly as impressive, and it looks like that game could very easily have run on the N64, had it not been impeded by the cartridge limitations on N64.

I will be waiting to see who wins the initial rounds of this war, but my bet is on Nintendo.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time
Old 11-17-2001, 11:33 PM   #7
Bad Daddy Johnny

Quote:
Originally posted by melon:
Developers have already said that X-Box games translate quickly for the PC, considering, really, the X-Box is all PC hardware....Wanna know the guts of the X-Box? Pentium III 733 MHz processor, a modified GeForce3 250 MHz graphics processor built into the motherboard
That's information that might just sway me to a game cube. Not that I'm pro or con Microsoft, just that I don't want to buy a system that would have all the games that I could just play on the computer I'll probably buy next year anyway.

Hmm...Crap now that means I'll have to buy a DVD, a gamecube AND a computer. I'm a sucker for toys.

Thanks for that info melon.
Old 11-18-2001, 10:13 AM   #8
The Fly

Halo probably would already be out for PC if stupid Microsoft didn't acquire Bungee

I don't think I'll buy a Gamecube or an XBOX.
Old 11-18-2001, 04:58 PM   #9
War Child

X-Box

It's more powerful with a far superior graphics processor, actually plays DVDs, and doesn't have 90% of its game collection targeted towards 6 year olds.

And only 1 title out of the entire X-Box software library will ever make it to desktop machines.

And the next game in the Unreal series will be X-Box only.