Game of Thrones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to know. I should be home from NYC before it starts but I'll reset the DVR appropriately just in case. Although there's On Demand and a million reruns and stuff.

best episode of the season? i think so.

looks like Jon Snow is gonna get a little wildling on the side.

game-of-thrones-leslie-rose_610.jpg

Ygritte had a part on Downton Abbey.

More Ygritte talk, people! She could capture me anytime. ...well, she'd probably kill me, but assuming some wacky hijinks intervene maybe we could start something?

With her non stop whining and foot stamping, Dany's plotline's been lost in the desert in more ways than one!

I didn't plan this out before, but it's worked out perfectly that over the last two nights I've streamed all 9 episodes to catch up, and the table-setting episodes slot in perfectly.

Yeah, the whole Daenerys plot line has to be the most disappointing thing about this season. It was awesome last year, and then ended on such a high note: the big "I survived the fire and I'm naked and I have three baby dragons!" reveal was unforgettable and one of the highlights of the season. And then to follow that up with a whole lot of nothing. Yeahhhhhh. Too bad. I'm sure her story gets more way more action-packed, though, especially if those dragons actually grow up at some point.

COME TO THE HOUSE OF THE UNDYING, MOTHER OF DWAGGONS!

And, yeah, Ygritte is the shit. The highlight of another fairly stale year of following the sulking Jon Snuh through snowy landscapes with not much going on.

The real standout stuff this season, for me, has been:

#1 - Everything at King's Landing. That plot line had the highest concentration of characters all in the same place: Tyrion, Bronn, Cersei, Joffrey, Sansa, the Hound, Varys, Ros, Shae, Littlefinger (most of the time). And I think that really worked. It's been the center of this season. Plus, Tyrion and Varys are TV's funniest odd couple since The Odd Couple. And the Blackwater battle fucking ruled.
#2 - Arya's badass dealings with Tywin and Jaqen H'ghar.

The key point for me was how Dany totally flunked trying to get into the gates of Qarth. I can see where she may not have the verbal jujitsu to negotiate her way in and gave in to anger too quickly, but I feel like her insane persistence and self-confidence should have somehow payed off in an unexpected way. But they didn't really show that, and instead the Richest Man in Qarth just luckily bailed her out. And she evidently learned nothing by falling into the same pattern with the Spice Man's negotiation. Dany should really be a parched set of bones outside the walls by now. Having no army, no ships, and almost no followers is making a pretty good case she's delusional, not that it will make her rise to the Iron Throne all the more impressive.

Jon Snow at the crazy guy's place for the first half of the season was a lot of wheel-spinning, but I'm just a total sucker for those fantastic Iceland location shots they started busting out. Ygritte and Jon Snow play great off each other, and I can't wait to see them throw Mance Rayder on top of that.

Ygritte/Jon Snow, Arya/Tywin, Arya/Jaqen, Tyrion/Varys, and Bran's scenes are virtually guaranteed to be gold. Yara and Theon's last scene together finally made a lot of their earlier work tick, Theon's such a greasy skeevy man that watching him implode is so satisfying. I have the aforementioned issues with Dany, and Robb Stark's Big Fat Army Camp just leaves me comatose. Do something!

By the way, what happened to the comet?!?

Posting spoilers would be quite a feat considering I'm only 40 pages into the first book, and only even know that book's synopsis.

They've mentioned Mance Rayder as a King (i.e, Important Figure) and given him a backstory that serves as a potential parallel to Jon Snow at the same time Snow's been captured by Rader's men and being marched off some place. Not rocket science to deduce that at some point on this series of all series, he's going to show up on screen.

Sorry to jump the gun. I just flipped shit over what I thought was a Dany spoiler since you used the word "will" instead of "would." My bad.

I've got about 80 pages left in Book 1. Holla.

Oh, I understand. Yeah, the current book/tv split is making speculation a bit tricky.

FWIW, my current big picture speculation is that every family is going to get a crack at sitting on the Iron Throne, but fall short in some way. Ned sat on it as the Hand while Robert was out getting drunk, but ended up getting killed. Otherwise, the Starks are done and just want to chill at Winterfell. The Lannisters own it but they're cursed with enduring Joffrey as their way in. The Baratheons had it and Stannis SHOULD have it, but only got to the walls of King's Landing before being forced to retreat. The Tullys, Freys, and Greyjoys seem like minor gnats to the big picture, which means at some point it makes sense Dany will probably wind up there as well.

I'll keep my eye on Renly's wife, though.

Fuck the Freys. I knocked out the chapter where Cat meets with Lord Walder last night. Dude is a prick.

Another point I just want to throw out there is I'm not sure how a movie blockbuster budget would have improved the series beyond what HBO's already provided. The settings are absolutely gorgeous, and I've never had to ignore any sense that the actors are running around on a set or soundstage to save dough.

I've got about 80 pages left in Book 1. Holla.

The books are really, really good. I'm about 80 pages away from the end of book 4 right now and can't wait for future seasons to see how this stuff plays out on screen.

The thrilling Game Of Thrones season finale is airing tonight, and one of the show’s stars admits that even HE doesn’t know how it all ends!

Alfie Allen, who plays Theon Greyjoy, says he has no idea how the final episode of the season will play out, the New York Daily News reports. After all, he thought he understood the rhythm of the drama — until the Thrones show-....

“They kind of added a scene where Bran jumps out and stabs me in the chest and says, ‘This is my Winterfell, not yours,’” he said. “And [the instruction] goes, ‘Theon lies on the floor dead.

I'm not sure if deep actually hates everything, or just likes to be contrary, like he's a walking reminder that we all need to lower our expectations for everything.

Well, sure. You probably went in with expectations so low, they were in negative integers. So the odds were in your favor. :wink:

"Oops, herp de derp I'm so fat I fell over. Now I will stand for another 30 seconds as the White Walkers fucking mosey on over."

They keep giving Samwell Tarly these moments and I just hate it and it throws me out of the moment. STOP BEING AN IDIOT.

I rewatched it a few times (just that scene) tonight. You can almost feel the piss running down Sam's leg.

And I'm beginning Book 2 as soon as I get in bed.

boffo ratings for the Season 2 finale- a series high 4.2 million saw the 9pm airing. That's about twice the Season 1 opener, so HBO's gotta like the series trajectory so far.

"Oops, herp de derp I'm so fat I fell over. Now I will stand for another 30 seconds as the White Walkers fucking mosey on over."

They keep giving Samwell Tarly these moments and I just hate it and it throws me out of the moment. STOP BEING AN IDIOT.

Pretty much. I think I actually yelled "RUN, YOU JACKASS!"

boffo ratings for the Season 2 finale- a series high 4.2 million saw the 9pm airing. That's about twice the Season 1 opener, so HBO's gotta like the series trajectory so far.

It's the first one I watched when I didn't watch it on DVR. So I helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom