Gaelic Games

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bono-vox said:
Anyone other like it? I loike Gaelic football :D

My favourite team is Galway, they did really well this week :D

I did see a Gaelic football game once, and i felt like i stranger in a strange land. Everybody was looking at us, they are not used to foriengers at a Gaelic sportsgame i guess. After that we went to the Galway dog races, that was fun.

bono-vox said:
thats the 3rd time today somebody has said "stranger in a strange land" to me........weird....on a u2 forum and all! :rolleyes:

I cant believe ppl were looking funny at you- its good ppl like to experience the culture

Galway :up: :D

Maybe we are funny,...:D. Ore maybe they thought we were stupid or so, I did ask where the Galway united stadion was.

Read you, Rono.

The gaelic football grand final is usually televised in Australia and I watch it if I can. I think I watched Cork and Meath play?
Every now and then there is a test series of International Rules between Australia and Ireland. It's a combination of Gaelic and Australian Rules football. I have the 1999 test on video, as one of my fave AFL players was about to retire so I wanted to keep it. Ireland kicked our ass....of course:)

There is a theory that Australian Rules football is a combination of the game bought here by the Irish settlers and a game that was being played by the Australian aboriginal people....very ancient :) man will make a ball and kick it to his friend.

I absolutely love hurling! This summer I was invited to watch a hurling game organised by the Irish Embassy in Buenos Aires. The team was from Ireland, it was the GAA league or something like that. And apart from the fact that teh game was brilliant most of the players were HOOOOOOOOOOOT! :drool:

I'm not such a huge fan of GAA really, I'd probably be inclined to go more for Gaelic Football than Hurling. Though I've played both at school anyway, Hurling is good fun to play but the helmets are a tad annoying (not that most of the Seniors wear them anyway...)

I'd say g. football probably makes for better tv, I've always found Hurling more of a "spot the ball" competition :)
In terms of team I'm not big on any particular team, but my sympathies probably lie with Donegal cos I've spent lots of time there and Galway since I was a student there for a little while.

As for what Niamh said, GAA players dont strike me as the best-looking guys, but each to their own :laugh:

I think the compromise rules games are a good idea and could even maybe be extended, though I dont think Ireland always win cass, and the Aussies are big guys.

cloudimani said:
I'd say g. football probably makes for better tv, I've always found Hurling more of a "spot the ball" competition :)

I did see a hurling game on tv in a hotelroom in Glasgow, is this how the Irish riot police practice ?

Read you,....

bono-vox said:

I loved the vodafone (?) ad with the "no pressure" ting

*repeat other lauras AAHHHHHHHHHHAAAAA!!* that ad is F***ing GENIUS!!

"yiz were doin great in 94, yknow, we beat the italians, but then it all went *whistles*.....blah blah......*black screen"no pressure lads"* guy goin "please.please.please.please.please"

how bloody classic is that? and his voice and his face on it are just so cute, so cool.

a (why do i always have to use the word disturbed when talkin about myself??) disturbing amount of people said to me "laura, i saw that new vodafone ad the other day..and it just reminded me of you...thats what youre like":ohmy: :wink:

ccolhandlaura said:

*repeat other lauras AAHHHHHHHHHHAAAAA!!* that ad is F***ing GENIUS!!

"yiz were doin great in 94, yknow, we beat the italians, but then it all went *whistles*.....blah blah......*black screen"no pressure lads"* guy goin "please.please.please.please.please"

how bloody classic is that? and his voice and his face on it are just so cute, so cool.

a (why do i always have to use the word disturbed when talkin about myself??) disturbing amount of people said to me "laura, i saw that new vodafone ad the other day..and it just reminded me of you...thats what youre like":ohmy: :wink:

Id be insulted them telling you that you are loike some guy on some ad ;) :p

ccolhandlaura said:
yeah i sorta was...thanx im like a guy....does wonders for the oul confidence...:no: :p

ill sort them out if you loike- my friends saw my pic from my first day of school when i was 4

my friend derek: :eek: :eek: thats a Feckin boy in that pic :eek: :eek: i was sooo insulted lol but then he saw my other pics and said i was cute back then and im a "mess" now......yip i have noooooo confidence now :no:

okey...you can beat up my friends and ill beat up yours!!!:wink:

Ah sure ya know theyre just jealous of your good looks, talent, charm, wit, and charisma!! confidence any higher now??;)

Back
Top Bottom