Future Predictions for Pop Culture--anyone game?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4EVRU2

Acrobat
What direction do y'all think popular culture will head in the next 20 years? I have an assignment coming up on this and frankly, I have very few ideas!

I hope this doesn't constitue as sort of "cheating":uhoh:

It'll repeat itself again, just in a modern way

I say an '80s/'90s throwback era but everything's refined and kind of a mix of the periods.

I hope that made any sense

I think it won't be long till everyone - everyone - will be hooked on an episodic 'tv' show that circumvents all the usual production and distribution corporations and channels. What I mean is, some smart fuckers are going to write, record and distribute via the web (or via email even) an episode a week of something, and it will have a ridiculously high viewership, as high or higher than any old media item, and it will be done at a cost of sweet fuck all and will in return have the opportunity to rake in a fucking truckload. This, and whether they choose to cash in or not, might just change everything. I know it sounds like something that no doubt is already happening in a billion different forms 'out there' already, but I'm talking about that massive cult breakthrough thing. You don't need access to a tv station to reach millions. You don't need access to a film studio's bankroll to make something well written and clever, or even film and edit it professionaly. It's not going to be long till something comes along that is very, very good, by some very very talented people, and it will have no need for any mass media giants backing at all. I'm talking BIG. Water cooler show that you and all your friends and all your workmates and absolutely everyone watches and talks about. As big as Friends. As big as American Idol. As big as anything.

I think sex and raunchier things will be more accepted. Every day we tolerate more and more. Everything will lead to sex as people leave behind their shyness.

Wi-fi technology will have a huge effect on communication and entertainment. TV will slowly die off as people under 40 embrace computers and are totally comfortable with entertainment from the web.

The boomers will lose their hold over society as we head into the future. Although repeat episodes of Murder She Wrote and Matlock will be the highest earning syndicated shows ever.

Record companies will almost cease to exist along with video rental stores which will disappear as people will have total access to movies via wifi. Fashions will recycle themselves and tattoo removal will be the hottest thing out there and in order to be different, people start cutting off bodyparts like the tip of their pinky or toe and replacing it with bling. Hats like those worn during the early 20th century will make a come back.

Holograms will be the hippest form of entertainment and some people will never leave the house again. Paris Hilton will accidently have a MILF hologram released featuring herself, a donkey, a stripper pole, and Colin Farell with Scott Stapp in the corner pleasuring himself while he cries at the same time. It will become the most downloaded video ever. Domesticated animals will form a union to get more rights.

Videogames along the MMORP will continue to grow dwarfing the other facets of the entertainment industry. If TV does survive, there will only be 2 networks with multiple channels, one network will be called PRUDE while the other will be PAGAN.

Or something catastrophic will happen to the planet, and people will get their heads out of their asses and realize there is more to life than money and entertainment.:wink:

Last edited:
1.Hot Pants will come back-in a big way
2. We'll continue putting more and more faith in robots, even going to the lenghts of giving Unit 645-AG his own talk show. Unfortunately for us Unit 645 will easily charm his way into our hearts using some kind of charming program, and make us much more vunerable when the robot uprising comes.
3. President Bush will steal the election again. Not the 2008 election though, he'll wait for 2012 and run under the name George W. Rush.
4. Ricky Martin will continue to release CD's in hope to capture some of that "Latin Magic of 1999"
5. Conspiracy theorists will have there minds blown when it is relvealed that not only is Tupac not dead, but he actually was Kurt Cobain. Unfortuantely, those who claim that Biggie Smalls is Dave Grohl will be dissapointed to learn that it is not true.
6. Audiences will run in fear when during a taping of The Late Show with Conan O'Brein, Conan's head swells to epic proportions and consumes Andy Richter. Unit 645 will use this event for many jokes during his monologue the next night.
7. Dick Clark will be revealed NOT to be a robot when he dies by self detonating a nuclear bomb on the surface of the moon to stop it from crashing into Earth.
8. U2 will continue make making award winning music including 2028's "Coming Up With A Short Album Title Is Tough. I Mean The Beatles And Stones HAve Used Up All The Good Ones. Hey Larry, What About Super Monkey Fire? I Think That Is A Awesome Name. Yeah? Well Screw You To Larry. Oh Real Mature Larry, Real Mature"
9. The Rolling Stones will get indicted into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame again. But not for their music, but for their cyborg genetalia.
10. New York City will be destroyed in riots after the series finale of Lost reveals that everything that happened was "just a dream"

Back
Top Bottom