Full Grammy list to discuss - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2005, 03:44 AM   #31
War Child

Location: in the land of the GEORGIA BULLDOGS...WOOF WOOF WOOF
Local Time: 10:09 AM
Are you even human--- 9/11 was a "white" emergency?????

Old 12-09-2005, 09:40 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:09 PM
sshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheee-it, the new generation of FYMers do their training here. "Are you ever human .."

back to the topic - what If you shout said:

"frankly, I find the fact that U2 (and that's not even mentioning Mariah and co....) is nominated for Album of the Year laughable. I mean, I don't have too much against How to Dismantle..., but Jesus Fucking Christ...there were like 27 albums about 27 times better than it released in the last year, you know...?"

Very true. The nomination of Franz Ferdinand nails it, that´s just disappointing. I´m not a fan of the glitter girl, but she got a great voice and managed her comeback after being dumped.

Grammys are more about sales and an industry partying itself than anything else.

Old 12-09-2005, 10:21 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2doggie
you must be joking!!! i'm not even a republican...but he was a total disgrace that night---he was on national f'ing television ranting on about things he knows nothing about, like he's been known to do(he wasn't even speaking coherently)-did you see Mike Meyers looking at him? It was sooooo inappropriate. They were supposed to be raising money---he tried to turn it into some kind of racial issue. Why?
Do you honestly believe "Bush hates black people"?!?! That's absurd.
Dude's got no class. That is what i'm saying. And.. i hope he wins nothing. That's all.
Just so you know, while I do agree with Kanye's statements, I agree with you 100% about him being very inappropriate about them. I thought he handled his remarks about homophobia with a great deal more tact and class, and his whole I-seem-to-be-kinda-drunk thing on the telecast did a GREAT job of making him look more like a boob than a prophet. Off-topic, but I just wanted to be clear. Again, while I do agree with what he said, I was being tongue-in-cheek, earlier. It was a great possibility for him to reach a mass audience and say something insightful...instead, he sounded like a psychopath (though Meyers seemed just as out of it even before the rant). Sorry, just wanted to be clear. Back to the thread proper, then:

Fuck the Grammys. Fuck 'em in their stupid asses. Best ablum of the last year? CLEARLY The Woods by Sleater-Kinney. Fuckin' insane.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

i like the cut of your 7ib, if you shout.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:16 PM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by If you shout...
Best ablum of the last year? CLEARLY The Woods by Sleater-Kinney. Fuckin' insane.
Well, at least we agree on the important stuff, right?

Did you put up a list on the Top 10 thread? I'm curious to see yours, IYS...

my last word on Katrina: Neither Kanye, nor I said that Bush "hates" black people. He doesn't CARE about them. Big difference. The failure to respond quickly in New Orleans speaks to an overall disinterest in the disenfranchised, the poor, the minorites of this country. Why? Because they are not organized enough to make a difference when it comes to voting, and they can't speak their minds with the spending dollar either. The Republicans don't view these people as having enough to offer or challenge, and that's why they go ignored. Katrina is just one example of a larger problem.

As for 9/11, the buildings that were destroyed were THE WORLD TRADE CENTER Towers. Now I don't have any statistics at hand, but I'll bet that a large majority of the people working in that building (not the emergency workers that arrived afterwards) were A) White, and B) White Collar. That's not to say that there weren't minorities or blue collar workers that suffered the same fate, but my point is that the constituency of the Republican party was more represented by the people in that building--wealthy people, people involved in economic concerns. No wonder Bush rushed down there like a bat out of hell to clean it up. New Orleans? What's the rush? Just a bunch of poor black people who were living in shit anyway.

On a doubly related note to get this thread back on track, Kanye's recent comments about how he deserves the Album of the Year award because of all his hard work isn't going to help his chances. People don't like to be bullied into voting. Plus, how long DID Kanye spend working on Late Registration? I'll bet U2 put in a lot more studio time then he did--too much, probably. If it were all about recording hours logged, U2 would have it in the bag. Or Axl Rose, if he ever stopped recording and just released something.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:36 PM   #36
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

yeah, so The Arcade Fire got completely hosed on in most categories

and Bloc Party
and every band out there better than Keane and Sell Out Boy
Old 12-09-2005, 07:54 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus

Did you put up a list on the Top 10 thread? I'm curious to see yours, IYS...
Waitin' until the end of the year, my friend. And for an "official" thread which will be tabulated and stuff so I can see the final count and realize how terrible most people's taste is.

I wish I were kidding.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:29 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

You can already view that poor taste on the thread I started--look how many mentions there are of You-Know-Who's "X & Y".

If this forum was around in 1987, they'd be saluting Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:10 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

haha! that's so true, lazarus...
Old 12-11-2005, 01:34 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

while I didn't like X&Y your comment is somewhat lame because if everyone had the same taste as you...you would no longer feel 'special' and instead would be 'trendy' like everyone else. So be glad for your music taste instead of mocking others'.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:22 AM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

elevation, are you attracted to me?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:56 AM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by If you shout...

Most of this list is just painfully, shockingly, perversely absurd. How the FUCK is The Woods not even nominated for the Best Alternative Album award????

And, frankly, I find the fact that U2 (and that's not even mentioning Mariah and co....) is nominated for Album of the Year laughable. I mean, I don't have too much against How to Dismantle..., but Jesus Fucking Christ...there were like 27 albums about 27 times better than it released in the last year, you know...?

Well, maybe you don't. It's just my opinion. I definitely think that "Sometimes..." should win its awards, although I can't say that it will. I can't deny that it's one of my favorite U2 songs of all time and that, without a doubt, I think it's one of the best I've heard over the last year.

FUCK THE GRAMMYS, either way. I guess I'll be ignoring them from here on out for the sixth year in a row.
Sounds like you have a lot against HTDAAB. Would you put any U2 album from their catalog above all the 27 glorious albums you claim are better than the bomb?
Old 12-11-2005, 06:28 AM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:09 PM
Are you some kind of U2 Police, Sting?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:46 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Sounds like you have a lot against HTDAAB. Would you put any U2 album from their catalog above all the 27 glorious albums you claim are better than the bomb?
The easy answer to this ridiculous question? The one I already gave, of course: "I don't have too much against How to Dismantle...".

As for the back catalogue (which I would like to point out is WOEFULLY off-topic, since none of those albums came out in in the last year), I would place POP, Achtung Baby, and The Joshua Tree above literally anything released not just in the last year, but in the last three-four years.

I'll say only that it sounds like you have a lot against informed opinions which don't gel with your own. Would you put any U2 from their back catalogue below any album released in the last year? Grow the fuck up, for God's sake. Bono himself said that How to Dismantle doesn't work that well as an album, so fuck it. I'm right and that's that.

Somebody back me up. Zoomer? Laz? Etc.?
Old 12-11-2005, 02:55 PM   #45
Blue Crack Supplier

I'd like to, but I love the Bomb (and didn't have to stop worrying to love it). Was EXTREMELY disappointed with ATYCLB but I think there are more great songs on HTDAAB than most albums I've heard in the last few years. I don't agree with some of the recording/production choices but ultimately it isn't a dealbreaker for me.

Of course it doesn't flow as an album; U2 hasn't had an a coherent track order since Zooropa. And But that didn't stop me from liking Hail to the Thief either.