Full Grammy list to discuss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheee-it, the new generation of FYMers do their training here. "Are you ever human .." :lol:

back to the topic - what If you shout said:

"frankly, I find the fact that U2 (and that's not even mentioning Mariah and co....) is nominated for Album of the Year laughable. I mean, I don't have too much against How to Dismantle..., but Jesus Fucking Christ...there were like 27 albums about 27 times better than it released in the last year, you know...?"

Very true. The nomination of Franz Ferdinand nails it, that´s just disappointing. I´m not a fan of the glitter girl, but she got a great voice and managed her comeback after being dumped.

Grammys are more about sales and an industry partying itself than anything else.

U2doggie said:
you must be joking!!! i'm not even a republican...but he was a total disgrace that night---he was on national f'ing television ranting on about things he knows nothing about, like he's been known to do(he wasn't even speaking coherently)-did you see Mike Meyers looking at him? It was sooooo inappropriate. They were supposed to be raising money---he tried to turn it into some kind of racial issue. Why?
Do you honestly believe "Bush hates black people"?!?! That's absurd.
Dude's got no class. That is what i'm saying. And.. i hope he wins nothing. That's all.

Just so you know, while I do agree with Kanye's statements, I agree with you 100% about him being very inappropriate about them. I thought he handled his remarks about homophobia with a great deal more tact and class, and his whole I-seem-to-be-kinda-drunk thing on the telecast did a GREAT job of making him look more like a boob than a prophet. Off-topic, but I just wanted to be clear. Again, while I do agree with what he said, I was being tongue-in-cheek, earlier. It was a great possibility for him to reach a mass audience and say something insightful...instead, he sounded like a psychopath (though Meyers seemed just as out of it even before the rant). Sorry, just wanted to be clear. Back to the thread proper, then:

Fuck the Grammys. Fuck 'em in their stupid asses. Best ablum of the last year? CLEARLY The Woods by Sleater-Kinney. Fuckin' insane.

If you shout... said:
Best ablum of the last year? CLEARLY The Woods by Sleater-Kinney. Fuckin' insane.

Well, at least we agree on the important stuff, right?

Did you put up a list on the Top 10 thread? I'm curious to see yours, IYS...

my last word on Katrina: Neither Kanye, nor I said that Bush "hates" black people. He doesn't CARE about them. Big difference. The failure to respond quickly in New Orleans speaks to an overall disinterest in the disenfranchised, the poor, the minorites of this country. Why? Because they are not organized enough to make a difference when it comes to voting, and they can't speak their minds with the spending dollar either. The Republicans don't view these people as having enough to offer or challenge, and that's why they go ignored. Katrina is just one example of a larger problem.

As for 9/11, the buildings that were destroyed were THE WORLD TRADE CENTER Towers. Now I don't have any statistics at hand, but I'll bet that a large majority of the people working in that building (not the emergency workers that arrived afterwards) were A) White, and B) White Collar. That's not to say that there weren't minorities or blue collar workers that suffered the same fate, but my point is that the constituency of the Republican party was more represented by the people in that building--wealthy people, people involved in economic concerns. No wonder Bush rushed down there like a bat out of hell to clean it up. New Orleans? What's the rush? Just a bunch of poor black people who were living in shit anyway.

On a doubly related note to get this thread back on track, Kanye's recent comments about how he deserves the Album of the Year award because of all his hard work isn't going to help his chances. People don't like to be bullied into voting. Plus, how long DID Kanye spend working on Late Registration? I'll bet U2 put in a lot more studio time then he did--too much, probably. If it were all about recording hours logged, U2 would have it in the bag. Or Axl Rose, if he ever stopped recording and just released something.

yeah, so The Arcade Fire got completely hosed on in most categories

and Bloc Party
and every band out there better than Keane and Sell Out Boy

lazarus said:

Did you put up a list on the Top 10 thread? I'm curious to see yours, IYS...

Waitin' until the end of the year, my friend. And for an "official" thread which will be tabulated and stuff so I can see the final count and realize how terrible most people's taste is.

:wink:

I wish I were kidding.

You can already view that poor taste on the thread I started--look how many mentions there are of You-Know-Who's "X & Y".

If this forum was around in 1987, they'd be saluting Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet.

while I didn't like X&Y your comment is somewhat lame because if everyone had the same taste as you...you would no longer feel 'special' and instead would be 'trendy' like everyone else. So be glad for your music taste instead of mocking others'.
:wink:

If you shout... said:

Most of this list is just painfully, shockingly, perversely absurd. How the FUCK is The Woods not even nominated for the Best Alternative Album award????

And, frankly, I find the fact that U2 (and that's not even mentioning Mariah and co....) is nominated for Album of the Year laughable. I mean, I don't have too much against How to Dismantle..., but Jesus Fucking Christ...there were like 27 albums about 27 times better than it released in the last year, you know...?

Well, maybe you don't. It's just my opinion. I definitely think that "Sometimes..." should win its awards, although I can't say that it will. I can't deny that it's one of my favorite U2 songs of all time and that, without a doubt, I think it's one of the best I've heard over the last year.

FUCK THE GRAMMYS, either way. I guess I'll be ignoring them from here on out for the sixth year in a row.

Sounds like you have a lot against HTDAAB. Would you put any U2 album from their catalog above all the 27 glorious albums you claim are better than the bomb?

STING2 said:

Sounds like you have a lot against HTDAAB. Would you put any U2 album from their catalog above all the 27 glorious albums you claim are better than the bomb?

The easy answer to this ridiculous question? The one I already gave, of course: "I don't have too much against How to Dismantle...".

As for the back catalogue (which I would like to point out is WOEFULLY off-topic, since none of those albums came out in in the last year), I would place POP, Achtung Baby, and The Joshua Tree above literally anything released not just in the last year, but in the last three-four years.

I'll say only that it sounds like you have a lot against informed opinions which don't gel with your own. Would you put any U2 from their back catalogue below any album released in the last year? Grow the fuck up, for God's sake. Bono himself said that How to Dismantle doesn't work that well as an album, so fuck it. I'm right and that's that.

Somebody back me up. Zoomer? Laz? Etc.?

I'd like to, but I love the Bomb (and didn't have to stop worrying to love it). Was EXTREMELY disappointed with ATYCLB but I think there are more great songs on HTDAAB than most albums I've heard in the last few years. I don't agree with some of the recording/production choices but ultimately it isn't a dealbreaker for me.

Of course it doesn't flow as an album; U2 hasn't had an a coherent track order since Zooropa. And But that didn't stop me from liking Hail to the Thief either.

If you shout... said:

The easy answer to this ridiculous question? The one I already gave, of course: "I don't have too much against How to Dismantle...".

As for the back catalogue (which I would like to point out is WOEFULLY off-topic, since none of those albums came out in in the last year), I would place POP, Achtung Baby, and The Joshua Tree above literally anything released not just in the last year, but in the last three-four years.

I'll say only that it sounds like you have a lot against informed opinions which don't gel with your own. Would you put any U2 from their back catalogue below any album released in the last year? Grow the fuck up, for God's sake. Bono himself said that How to Dismantle doesn't work that well as an album, so fuck it. I'm right and that's that.

i'm quite certain that you should do all my posting from now on.

keep taking no prisoners, son, and tell the folks how it really is! nice work.

lazarus said:
I'd like to, but I love the Bomb (and didn't have to stop worrying to love it). Was EXTREMELY disappointed with ATYCLB but I think there are more great songs on HTDAAB than most albums I've heard in the last few years. I don't agree with some of the recording/production choices but ultimately it isn't a dealbreaker for me.

Of course it doesn't flow as an album; U2 hasn't had an a coherent track order since Zooropa. And But that didn't stop me from liking Hail to the Thief either.

Well, you got me on Hail to the Thief. I think that shit is kick and I totally agree with you about it having so little flow that it's in danger of dying from dehydration.

Let's recall, though, that the Grammy for best album goes to the producer, meaning (I suppose) tat in backwards-ass Grammy faux-"logic," it must have at least something to do with production.

So where does that leave us? I don't fucking know. I want to kick Mariah Carey's face in. I know that much.

If you shout... said:

Nice, I ask a simple question and you respond with "grow the fuck up"? Perhaps you should heed your own advice?

Everyone here has an informed opinion. Bono by the way considers HTDAAB to be U2's 3rd best album just after Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree.

STING2 said:
Everyone here has an informed opinion.

Continuing to engage in this "debate" is obviously pointless, so I'll just quote this and laugh. I beg to differ, my friend. I beg to differ.

I'm not necessarily laughing at you, either. But I think that after reading so many of the threads floating around in here, it is beyond obvious that a great many people cannot call themselves "informed" when it comes to music. I seem to recall reading in the best albums of '05 thread, for instance, that Hot Fuss (The Killers) was one of '05's best albums. Case closed.

STING2 said:

Bono by the way considers HTDAAB to be U2's 3rd best album just after Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree.

I think what you meant to say was:

"Without sounding totally phony," Bono says, "I think this might be our second best - if not our best - album. It's up there with Achtung [Baby]. It had to be. You can't live like this and put out a crap album or else people are going to want to shoot you."

he actually said that about HTDAAB in 2004. it's in Blender magazine.

and in 2000, it was ATYCLB and in 1997 it was POP that he was claiming was "up there with Achtung"......

Bono also said in 1995 that they had not yet made their best record, 10 years will give you some perspective apparently.

Bono is always a salesman.

Wait 5 years and he'll be tearing down HTDAAB like he did on POP and ATYCLB and pimping up the latest as a "work that will burn down all of out other works" which I believe he is contractually obligated to say, because he fucking says it before every album.

Aw, we're gonna get to see Mariah parading around in another dress that's 4 sizes too small. How charming!

This year's nominations seem particularly bad. I was shocked U2 got anything at all, but I guess the mainstream pickings were slim. It's not as if the Grammy voters are going to dig any deeper than Billboard's greatest hits.

If you shout... said:

Continuing to engage in this "debate" is obviously pointless, so I'll just quote this and laugh. I beg to differ, my friend. I beg to differ.

I'm not necessarily laughing at you, either. But I think that after reading so many of the threads floating around in here, it is beyond obvious that a great many people cannot call themselves "informed" when it comes to music. I seem to recall reading in the best albums of '05 thread, for instance, that Hot Fuss (The Killers) was one of '05's best albums. Case closed.

Yes, but at the end of the day, what is the best album of music of the year is simply an opinion. You can't actually prove that someone who thinks HOT FUSS is the best album of year is wrong. That person may have listened to all the same albums that you had and picked HOT FUSS over them.

That HOT FUSS is a good album or bad album is an opinion, not a fact. That HOT FUSS has sold over 5 million copies is a fact not an opinion, regardless of what one alleges about the quality of the music on the album.

U2DMfan said:

I think what you meant to say was:

"Without sounding totally phony," Bono says, "I think this might be our second best - if not our best - album. It's up there with Achtung [Baby]. It had to be. You can't live like this and put out a crap album or else people are going to want to shoot you."

he actually said that about HTDAAB in 2004. it's in Blender magazine.

and in 2000, it was ATYCLB and in 1997 it was POP that he was claiming was "up there with Achtung"......

Bono also said in 1995 that they had not yet made their best record, 10 years will give you some perspective apparently.

Bono is always a salesman.

Wait 5 years and he'll be tearing down HTDAAB like he did on POP and ATYCLB and pimping up the latest as a "work that will burn down all of out other works" which I believe he is contractually obligated to say, because he fucking says it before every album.

Did you read Rolling Stone October 2005 interview with BONO, perhaps the largest interview BONO has ever done? In the interview, there is a lengthy page where he rates all the albums going in to some detail. He rated Joshua Tree as the best album followed by Achtung and then HTDAAB and ATYCLB.

It was the Edge who mentioned he thought ATYCLB was their 2nd best album next to Achtung Baby.

I read just about every interview the band did in 1996 and 1997 and I don't ever recall BONO saying that POP was U2's second best work. In fact, what struck me was he avoided comparing it to their previous work in terms of ranking it. Is most common quote was he did not know what POP was as an album, that it had so many different things in it.

Its obvious the band are very proud of their latest work and they should be.

Zootlesque said:
Bono doesn't know shit about U2's music!

haha, in fairness it's hard to have a true perspective being so close to it. He had just spent two years working on that album, and absurd amounts of time on the others.

It's not hard not to beleive that he thinks his latest work is his best or among his best but time among other things will give you a proper perspective.

Maybe he will think it's among their best in 10 years, but I doubt it. Just my take.

STING2 said:

Yes, but at the end of the day, what is the best album of music of the year is simply an opinion. You can't actually prove that someone who thinks HOT FUSS is the best album of year is wrong. That person may have listened to all the same albums that you had and picked HOT FUSS over them.

That HOT FUSS is a good album or bad album is an opinion, not a fact. That HOT FUSS has sold over 5 million copies is a fact not an opinion, regardless of what one alleges about the quality of the music on the album.

I know what you're saying with this stuff and I agree, but it's irrelevant all the same. The stuff I'm talking about wasn't posted in this thread, but in a thread about the best albums of 2005 as members of interference see it.

Here's a fact I'd love for somebody to disprove: Hot Fuss was released in the Spring of 2004.

Therefore, anybody who thinks it's one of the best albums of 2005 is a fucking moron without any sort of informed opinion on the matter. That's what I was trying to say, G.

I CAN prove that somebody who thinks that Hot Fuss is the album of the year is wrong. Because I can prove that he/she doesn't have a fucking time machine.

anitram said:
Aw, we're gonna get to see Mariah parading around in another dress that's 4 sizes too small. How charming!

This year's nominations seem particularly bad. I was shocked U2 got anything at all, but I guess the mainstream pickings were slim. It's not as if the Grammy voters are going to dig any deeper than Billboard's greatest hits.

After winning 17 Grammy awards, 10 of them within the last 5 years, why would it be a shock that U2 would get so many nominations this year for an album that has had far more "critical praise" than most other albums released over the past year?

Back
Top Bottom