Fucking, Austria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:
The one thing holding me back in my guitar learning: scales. I can't understand them. I'm reading a book, and it's all just going over my head.
i took a music class last year; refresh my memory please. what are scales again?

18 min Bad has been sent, and Screwtape? Your inbox can't handle it.

Haha, it took forever and a half to upload, too.

Screwtape2 said:
I'm listening to the demo version of Twilight. Hilarious by the way. Bono's yelps are precious. :wink:
lol i know. i haaaaaaaate that song. omg omg omgomg so crappy. i mean he sounds hilarious but god, it's just...wow. i can't believe they thought it was good enough to be released.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i took a music class last year; refresh my memory please. what are scales again?

The groups of notes you can play together. Semi-tones and tones.

phillyfan26 said:
The groups of notes you can play together. Semi-tones and tones.
okay, i think i remember. the only reason i got an a in that class was because it was online and i made all the quizzes and tests open note :giggle:

and can i just say too, not that it should matter...but through the wonders of facebook, i found my music professor. the dude was younger than me! :rant:

I sort of understand it by itself, and then I get completely thrown off when I read the tablature of a song and it doesn't follow the scale.

Oh, and I apologise if I offended anyone in the earlier thread by ranting about America. I love the idea of America, and there are some genuinely amazing things about it, but the overall reality of it sometimes disappoints me.

And living where I am, if America sneezes, Australia pulls out a box of tissues, which is really annoying sometimes.

phillyfan26 said:
I sort of understand it by itself, and then I get completely thrown off when I read the tablature of a song and it doesn't follow the scale.
yeah, i understand. that class confused the hell out of me. if i were ever a musician, i'd be one of those types who just plays by ear, and can't read/write music.

major_panic said:
Oh, and I apologise if I offended anyone in the earlier thread by ranting about America. I love the idea of America, and there are some genuinely amazing things about it, but the overall reality of it sometimes disappoints me.

And living where I am, if America sneezes, Australia pulls out a box of tissues, which is really annoying sometimes.
it's okay :)

and i totally understand what you mean. that could and would get really old.

KhanadaRhodes said:

yeah, i understand. that class confused the hell out of me. if i were ever a musician, i'd be one of those types who just plays by ear, and can't read/write music.

When I drum, I don't follow any sort of tabs at all, just do it by ear and "make the song my own", often by dumbing it down. I then claim that I'm just playing to the song and modifying the drum beat to better suit it. :wink:

I am Phail Collins. :yes:

KhanadaRhodes said:

I'm a lyricist first and foremost, my guitar playing is very meh, but if I want to get in a band, I need to bring more than lyrics and vocals.

phillyfan26 said:

I'm a lyricist first and foremost, my guitar playing is very meh, but if I want to get in a band, I need to bring more than lyrics and vocals.

Unless you change your name to Bono. Then you're set for life :up:

Drummings a bit different considering there's on of maybe 10 things he could be doing. I mean, there's four or five drums plus the bass drum, and then several symbals, but he's hitting one of those.

On guitar there's thousands of things he could be doing: single notes (hundreds), chords (hundreds), double-stops, etc.

major_panic said:

Unless you change your name to Bono. Then you're set for life :up:

I'm actually just like him: bad guitarist who will use guitar playing as excuse to join a band.

major_panic said:
When I drum, I don't follow any sort of tabs at all, just do it by ear and "make the song my own", often by dumbing it down. I then claim that I'm just playing to the song and modifying the drum beat to better suit it. :wink:

I am Phail Collins. :yes:
:lol: i'm picturing you donning a phil collins wig whenever you drum and i don't even know what you look like!

phillyfan26 said:
don't feel bad, there's plenty of guys who don't play guitar and front a band...look at bono! :wink:

phillyfan26 said:

I think the best thing you can do is create through what you know. What I mean is find what comes easy to you and build from there. I think then you are bringing a lot in.

Don't count out the lyricist. Most people have nothing to say, you do. That means you are bringing a lot. :)

phillyfan26 said:
Drummings a bit different considering there's on of maybe 10 things he could be doing. I mean, there's four or five drums plus the bass drum, and then several symbals, but he's hitting one of those.

On guitar there's thousands of things he could be doing: single notes (hundreds), chords (hundreds), double-stops, etc.

Fair enough. I tried to teach myself to play guitar once. I gave up after about 30 minutes, it was just too confusing.

major_panic said:
Fair enough. I tried to teach myself to play guitar once. I gave up after about 30 minutes, it was just too confusing.
i kinda did that too. i went to one guitar lesson and i was like "wtf this is hard!! fuck this" and gave the guitar to a friend.

Screwtape2 said:

I think the best thing you can do is create through what you know. What I mean is find what comes easy to you and build from there. I think then you are bringing a lot in.

Don't count out the lyricist. Most people have nothing to say, you do. That means you are bringing a lot. :)

Quoted for absolute truth!

Gotta love making art for art's sake - it seems like a waste of time, but when you've finished, you just sit back and go "yeah".

I've written about 150 partial songs, of which maybe 5-10 are somewhat decent/usable.

phillyfan26 said:
I've written about 150 partial songs, of which maybe 5-10 are somewhat decent/usable.

My advice and I admit I know little but try combining ideas. Partial ideas are meant to be stacked on top of each other. Focus on creating songs instead of ideas. That might help. Are you planning to record any time soon?

It's being held back by my lack of progress as of late. I don't want to make plans before I'm ready to do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom