Fucking, Austria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
major_panic said:
Re the NYD video that PFan posted, Edge is quite possibly one of the coolest musicians ever. But I still don't get why they don't just get Bono to play the keyboard bits, they aren't that hard...

Bono isn't a musician.

Axver said:

Hey Maj.! :wave:

How you coping in today's particular furnace of Hell?

I succumbed, and I turned on the air conditioning in the one room that has it in the house. I'm now sitting in my awesome lazy chair with laptop, trying to motivate myself to do some work. I haven't succeeded yet.

phillyfan26 said:

Bono isn't a musician.

True, but I'm sure he knows how to play a couple of notes, one at a time.

Their excuse is probably "we've done it this way since 1983, and we aren't about to change it now!"

I love writing dialogue because no two people really talk the same. You can learn so much about one character just in what they say and how they speak.

corianderstem said:

I hear you. When I write, I find the dialogue comes really easily, but I struggle with everything else.

I think if I wrote on a more frequent basis, I'd be better at finding the right flow and do some more trial and error with the prose bits, but I'm insanely lazy and undisciplined when it comes to writing.

In all of my writing, I focus on the people aspect. Screwtape can attest to my songwriting, it's very personal. I write about people. I hate nature, so I skip scenery for the most part.

Screwtape2 said:

MARRY HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kid but seriously that's neat. :wink:

:lmao:

My friends in high school said I should marry an albino so that we could have transparent children.

Bono would probably fall over the keyboard if he had to jump from playing to singing. Because you know he couldn't just stand at the keyboard to sing.

I like New Year's Day a lot, but I'm always surprised by how much I love it when I hear it live.

major_panic said:

True, but I'm sure he knows how to play a couple of notes, one at a time.

Their excuse is probably "we've done it this way since 1983, and we aren't about to change it now!"

It wouldn't be cool if Edge didn't do that, though.

The Sad Punk said:
I love writing dialogue because no two people really talk the same. You can learn so much about one character just in what they say and how they speak.

:hi5:

corianderstem said:
I like how Axver has just refrained from making any further fanfic comments.

I can picture him just side-stepping around my posts, looking at me out of the corner of his eye, like, "omg freeeeeeeeeeeeak!"

:lol:

:lol: Actually, no, I just got behind, then decided "... eh, let's not flamewar it up." :wink:

UGH FUCK YOU BONO, WAY TO MAKE IT UNCLEAR IF YOU JUST SNIPPETED SWEETEST THING OR NOT.

corianderstem said:

I hear you. When I write, I find the dialogue comes really easily, but I struggle with everything else.

I think if I wrote on a more frequent basis, I'd be better at finding the right flow and do some more trial and error with the prose bits, but I'm insanely lazy and undisciplined when it comes to writing.

I suck at dialogue. I'm great at narration.

Axver said:

I'm the other way around. I don't think I talk quite like a normal person in the first place, so I hate dialogue. I absolutely adore writing landscapes and other scenic stuff, though.

Same. I think of myself as a George Lucas-style writer - great with the overall stuff and the landscapes and weird crap, but Phail Collins when it comes to dialogue.

"I don't like sand." :lol:

corianderstem said:
Bono would probably fall over the keyboard if he had to jump from playing to singing. Because you know he couldn't just stand at the keyboard to sing.

I like New Year's Day a lot, but I'm always surprised by how much I love it when I hear it live.

I was never much of a New Year's Day fan. Until i witnessed it live. As soon as that bass rumbled through me i was so fucking sold.

Axver said:

:lol: Actually, no, I just got behind, then decided "... eh, let's not flamewar it up." :wink:

UGH FUCK YOU BONO, WAY TO MAKE IT UNCLEAR IF YOU JUST SNIPPETED SWEETEST THING OR NOT.

WHAT THE FUCK, BONO? WHAT THE FUCK?

coolian2 said:
As far as i can remember from when i actually bothered to write, i was shocking with dialogue but could set the landscape rather well.

Perhaps i should write The Unforgettable Fire: The Novel

You know that custom UF I've posted 10,000 times that loops around on itself? I created that for when I'm writing.

phillyfan26 said:

It wouldn't be cool if Edge didn't do that, though.

QFT. I'm still annoyed that they didn't play it at Melb 2, although we did get The First Time. NYD was one of the only songs I was really hoping to see / hear live.

Screwtape2 said:

MARRY HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kid but seriously that's neat. :wink:

I agree. I mean, don't propose yet, but you should spend some more time with this girl!

Axver said:

You know that custom UF I've posted 10,000 times that loops around on itself? I created that for when I'm writing.

That makes a lot of sense.

What also makes sense for my style is that I write best after having been social all day, or when recalling something social.

corianderstem said:

highfivetu0.gif

Axver said:
:lol: Actually, no, I just got behind, then decided "... eh, let's not flamewar it up."

Dude, you're going DOWN!!!!! :wink:

I kid. I know it's not for everyone, and it's hard not to get defensive about it, because it IS kind of embarrassing to admit your hobby to someone who doesn't feel the same way about it as you do.

But I don't care. :wink:

phillyfan26 said:

Meeting up with some cousins down there and we're checking out that baseball thing at the Constitution Center.

what baseball thing? hmmm

are you a star wars fan? i hear the exhibit at the franklin institute is great.

the very franklin institute whose imax was supposed to be playing u23d but isn't. :mad:

phillyfan26 said:

WHAT THE FUCK, BONO? WHAT THE FUCK?

At the end of AIWIY, he's singing seemingly random shit, but at a couple of points, I can clearly hear "sweetest", and I'm pretty sure the next word is "thing". I think one part is "honey, sweet, love's the sweetest thing". The enunciation is just shot. I have no idea if that's a snippet or not.

If anybody else has 25/11/89 Tokyo, play AIWIY. It's a great performance anyway, complete with Sexual Healing for the girls. Tell me what you think. I'm struggling around 5:16-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom