Fucking, Austria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Varitek said:

how'd you end up with a whole lot of them?

when i was in ghana there was an albino african. that must suck extra hard.

I met one on LJ a month ago who invited me to a little meet-up on Saturday morning. Said LJer and I then went train-chasing as we're both railfans.

I have been a huge fan of several book series conducive to fan fiction, and read a little but I never liked it. Nobody gets the style right, usually people screw up characters, and I worship the author's intent with regards to plot, so it just frustrated me. But sometimes I'd read it for a fix in between books.

However I totally want to rip off the world/mechanism from The Time Traveller's Wife. Maybe write a sequel as the daughter. But I like the author a lot, maybe he'll do it himself.

The Sad Punk said:
Wait, I didn't mean to compare slash fan fiction to Dante,

:lol:

I was curious about the fanfic here and was unsurprised to see what kind of quality it was. Granted, I don't have a lot of exposure to many other kinds of fanfic, but it seems to me that there was a lot of really good quality X-Files stuff. Just really well-written.

It's easy to look at stuff here (for lack of another example) and be appalled at the crappy writing.

But I don't care - if you're having fun writing it, good for you. Even if you're using other people's characters, maybe it's the first writing that person is doing, and it spurs them to try some non-fanfic writing.

I can't knock 'em for it.

But I do wish some of them would have someone read over their stuff before posting - spell check, people! Come on!

phillyfan26 said:

Any interesting snippets from that show?

Nothing unusual yet. I'm up to Watchtower now, and the only snippets are Exodus and Not Fade Away. It's a short Not Fade Away too, just the first line of the usual snippet.

YES i knew there were ants. thank you sparknotes.

ok now i'm off to restart my computer so itunes will work, and finish the other book due in this class, which is also quite good. (little boys come from the stars)

Has there been anything good on this site for fan fic?

I've never done it. I'm much better with screenplays than I am with novel-style writing, actually.

I actually read one fanfic here ... can't remember the name of it ... that I thought was really well-done.

It was a fantasy sort of story, so you have to completely set aside your suspension of disbelief, but I thought it was really well done. It did a good job of completely sucking me into the story, which has not happened with anything else I've glanced at here.

phillyfan26 said:
I should sleep: I'm waking up in five hours to go to Philly tomorrow.

But, alas, here I am.

whatcha doing in philly?

i'm going corset shopping with a friend tomorrow afternoon. those are my big plans for the week, well and probably going bar hopping in philly one of the weekend days, and hoping that the republican texts me - havne't heard from him since thursday morning. yikes.

Re the NYD video that PFan posted, Edge is quite possibly one of the coolest musicians ever. But I still don't get why they don't just get Bono to play the keyboard bits, they aren't that hard...

Varitek said:

2 albino railfans? what are the odds?

Here's the really weird part: the other albino railfan is female.

Young railfans are somewhat rare. Female railfans are more rare. Young female albino railfans? I'm guessing she's the only one in the world.

phillyfan26 said:
I've never done it. I'm much better with screenplays than I am with novel-style writing, actually.

I hear you. When I write, I find the dialogue comes really easily, but I struggle with everything else.

I think if I wrote on a more frequent basis, I'd be better at finding the right flow and do some more trial and error with the prose bits, but I'm insanely lazy and undisciplined when it comes to writing.

Screwtape2 said:

I think the best fan fiction are the suggestions that Bomb was a good album. Totally in the fantasy genre. :wink:

HTDAAB = OWNED.

Axver said:

Here's the really weird part: the other albino railfan is female.

Young railfans are somewhat rare. Female railfans are more rare. Young female albino railfans? I'm guessing she's the only one in the world.

MARRY HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kid but seriously that's neat. :wink:

Varitek said:

whatcha doing in philly?

i'm going corset shopping with a friend tomorrow afternoon. those are my big plans for the week, well and probably going bar hopping in philly one of the weekend days, and hoping that the republican texts me - havne't heard from him since thursday morning. yikes.

Meeting up with some cousins down there and we're checking out that baseball thing at the Constitution Center.

corianderstem said:

I hear you. When I write, I find the dialogue comes really easily, but I struggle with everything else.

I think if I wrote on a more frequent basis, I'd be better at finding the right flow and do some more trial and error with the prose bits, but I'm insanely lazy and undisciplined when it comes to writing.

I'm the other way around. I don't think I talk quite like a normal person in the first place, so I hate dialogue. I absolutely adore writing landscapes and other scenic stuff, though.

I like how Axver has just refrained from making any further fanfic comments.

I can picture him just side-stepping around my posts, looking at me out of the corner of his eye, like, "omg freeeeeeeeeeeeak!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom