Fucking, Austria Superthread - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #136
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

yeah, i understand. that class confused the hell out of me. if i were ever a musician, i'd be one of those types who just plays by ear, and can't read/write music.
When I drum, I don't follow any sort of tabs at all, just do it by ear and "make the song my own", often by dumbing it down. I then claim that I'm just playing to the song and modifying the drum beat to better suit it.

I am Phail Collins.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:09 PM   #137
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

yeah, i understand. that class confused the hell out of me. if i were ever a musician, i'd be one of those types who just plays by ear, and can't read/write music.
I'm a lyricist first and foremost, my guitar playing is very meh, but if I want to get in a band, I need to bring more than lyrics and vocals.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #138
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

I'm a lyricist first and foremost, my guitar playing is very meh, but if I want to get in a band, I need to bring more than lyrics and vocals.
Unless you change your name to Bono. Then you're set for life
Old 03-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #139
Blue Crack Supplier

Drummings a bit different considering there's on of maybe 10 things he could be doing. I mean, there's four or five drums plus the bass drum, and then several symbals, but he's hitting one of those.

On guitar there's thousands of things he could be doing: single notes (hundreds), chords (hundreds), double-stops, etc.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:11 PM   #140
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic

Unless you change your name to Bono. Then you're set for life
I'm actually just like him: bad guitarist who will use guitar playing as excuse to join a band.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #141
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Quote:
When I drum, I don't follow any sort of tabs at all, just do it by ear and "make the song my own", often by dumbing it down. I then claim that I'm just playing to the song and modifying the drum beat to better suit it.

I am Phail Collins.
i'm picturing you donning a phil collins wig whenever you drum and i don't even know what you look like!

Quote:
don't feel bad, there's plenty of guys who don't play guitar and front a band...look at bono!
Old 03-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #142
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:54 AM
I know that feeling, I can read tabs, but that's about it.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #143
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:

I think the best thing you can do is create through what you know. What I mean is find what comes easy to you and build from there. I think then you are bringing a lot in.

Don't count out the lyricist. Most people have nothing to say, you do. That means you are bringing a lot.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:13 PM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Drummings a bit different considering there's on of maybe 10 things he could be doing. I mean, there's four or five drums plus the bass drum, and then several symbals, but he's hitting one of those.

On guitar there's thousands of things he could be doing: single notes (hundreds), chords (hundreds), double-stops, etc.
Fair enough. I tried to teach myself to play guitar once. I gave up after about 30 minutes, it was just too confusing.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #145
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Quote:
Fair enough. I tried to teach myself to play guitar once. I gave up after about 30 minutes, it was just too confusing.
i kinda did that too. i went to one guitar lesson and i was like "wtf this is hard!! fuck this" and gave the guitar to a friend.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:15 PM   #146
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

I think the best thing you can do is create through what you know. What I mean is find what comes easy to you and build from there. I think then you are bringing a lot in.

Don't count out the lyricist. Most people have nothing to say, you do. That means you are bringing a lot.
Quoted for absolute truth!

Gotta love making art for art's sake - it seems like a waste of time, but when you've finished, you just sit back and go "yeah".
Old 03-15-2008, 10:17 PM   #147
Blue Crack Supplier

I've written about 150 partial songs, of which maybe 5-10 are somewhat decent/usable.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #148
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
I've written about 150 partial songs, of which maybe 5-10 are somewhat decent/usable.
My advice and I admit I know little but try combining ideas. Partial ideas are meant to be stacked on top of each other. Focus on creating songs instead of ideas. That might help. Are you planning to record any time soon?
Old 03-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #149
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Quoted for absolute truth!

Gotta love making art for art's sake - it seems like a waste of time, but when you've finished, you just sit back and go "yeah".
Exactly. You might not be great at something but if you are saying something, people will listen.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #150
Blue Crack Supplier

It's being held back by my lack of progress as of late. I don't want to make plans before I'm ready to do something.

Tags
superthread