From the state of utter confusion, I ask your opinion and advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hi clarity
You have received lots of sound advice from some very experienced people here. If I was suddenly given back every cent I have spent on alcohol........I'd be a very rich woman.
But oh what fun I have had.I have been told that chemically alcohol it is a poison and a depressant. I dunno 'bout that. I think of it more as an aphrodisiac.
It is such an individual thing, it can ruin or it can enhance imho.
I found it funny to be having a conversation recently with my 20 year old son about alcohol. He knows about moderation, sensible lad. He has observed it is the tobacco in small venues that gives him a headache the next day. If he drinks at a smoke-free private party, he's fine the next day. Good observation.

Go lightly clarity, be safe and the main thing.....
take care of #1
Have fun musiclover :wave:

Alcohol will make you more social and lessen your inhibitions.

When I was in my 20s I would hit the sauce once or twice a week. Now in my 40s I don?t drink hardly at all.

The older you get, the harder it is to bounce back the next day.

When women use to invite me into their homes, often they would offer a glass of wine.

I would say thank you, but I really I don?t need an excuse to misbehave.:sexywink:

You've heard a LOT of advice already, but I thought of one more thing: Be sure you eat *something* decent before drinking. And if you find that you're pissed drunk, don't suddenly think "Hey, some toaster blueberry waffles on top of 6 screwdrivers sound good right about now!" Trust me--it isn't pretty.

But a good base of a decent (read: not gassy, greasy, etc.) meal is always a safe bet. You'll feel full, so you won't drink as much...and you won't get instantly drunk.

Honestly...

With all of the problems associated with alcohol consumption I would state a stand at being the designated driver for your friends would make yo an incredibly popular person. And you would never have to feel like you had half of your bedroom carpeting stuck to your tongue and someone had been hammering on your head in teh mornign while you are getting ready for work...

Just a thought.

If you decide to try it and do not know your reaction, women, asian and native americans do not utilize the alcohol by converting it to uric acids and excreting it from the system so you will be drunk much faster and your reaction times will be decreased probably more than what you are used to having, so don't drive that night...call a cab if you don't have a safe driver(safe is not a seasoned drinker either,,,they appear far less drunk than they are and a car is a 2000lb bullet waiting to shoot off).

all good advice. I was going to add the bit about eating first, but enggirl beat me to it. If I were you (and actually that WAS me a few years ago) I would go out or cook at home with some trusted friends who know a bit about what's out there. For beer, it's an acquired taste but I think it's worth it if you stay the hell away from crap like Bud Light, etc. British ales are :up: and it's good fun to be able to enjoy local brews when you're backpacking in Germany, Austria, etc. Memorize the saying beer before liquor, never been sicker; liquor before beer you're in the clear and believe it.

As for mixed drinks, just find one that you like and then the next time tell the bartender if he/she can make you one that they think you'd like based on that preference. My cocktail of choice and always a classic to fall back on is gin and tonic. :D

Lastly, always always always trust your instincts. Don't let someone talk you into having more than you feel you can handle. And consider drinking tall glasses of water between drinks.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone! You've all been a big help with this! If there's anymore advice to be given, feel free! I can use all the education you're all willing to give me! :)

Remember that you should only drink if you want to drink.

I'm the partier amongst my friends...the one they say would never turn down a drink. Well, the last few times we've been out, I've just had pop...cuz that's all that I felt like having. They kept trying to buy me beer and were making such a big deal about it. I just did what I wanted to do though.

Another idea is to just have drinks where you go light on the alcohol. My two favorite drinks are a Long Island and a Jack & Coke. On nights where I was starting to wind down or didn't want to drink too heavily, the bartender would put in more Coke and less alcohol than usual. You still get the taste, but it doesn't hit you as hard.

Of course...you're also still paying the same price for less alcohol, but oh well.

Long Island is light on alcohol?? :hmm: :tongue: But yea, sticking to "light weight" drinks is a good idea. When I first turned 21, I only drank cocktail drinks like Midori Sours. It would take me about 6 of them before I could be considered "drunk." This is not to mention that chicks dig those drinks to :wink: :lol:

paxetaurora said:
--Don't drink too fast. You can sip a drink just like you'd sip a Coke or whatever. Don't feel obligated to start "chugging."
--"Beer before liquor, never been sicker": Although this is not true for most people, it's true for enough people that you should NEVER start with beer.
--Don't degrade your lovely drinking habit with nasty beer (e.g. Natural Ice), no matter how cheap it is.
--Don't drink anything you don't like. You'll have to drink it faster to disguise the taste, which means you'll probably drink more, and be a much messier and pissed-off drunk.
--Don't drink on school/work nights too much (coming from a slightly-hung-over Interlander on this lovely Wednesday morning).
--Even though you said "social drinker," don't drink alone. Or at least, don't get drunk alone.
--And don't be ashamed of "girly drinks"! They taste good!
--Personal advice: Tequila shots gave me the worst hangover of my life. I was hungover until dinnertime the next time, and throwing up through the early afternoon.
--Program the number of a cab company into your cell phone so you're never without it, or carry a card for the cab company in your wallet.
--Only drink with people you trust. If the bar/party you're at looks a little shady, maybe have one wee drink and drink it very slowly. And of course, NEVER accept a drink at aparty from someone you don't know. (I know you're 27 and not likely to go to very many drinking parties like college kids, but still, it's a good thing to put out there).
--And on a more fun note: Adopt at least one little-known drink and make it your own. Memorize the ingredients and see if you can stump a bartender. :) Or better yet, invent your own (mine is called the Tippled Abby).

I hope that helps you out. :)

All of this advice is excellent.

I agree with PAX especially on the nasty Tequila beverage.

My Experiences with this nasty drink include being found completely naked in a bathroom for no apparent reason.

Hugging the soon to be Groom on the floor crying together telling each other we love each other, and about how he should not get married. It was called off 48 hours later.

My third experience was too embarrasing to talk about.

Drinking may also cause you to end up passed out next to a highway, scream obscenities at your close friend's father, and to do drunken karaoke with a police officer...at least you aren't underage though like I, um, I mean, some people are when that happens...

:reject:

I know there have already been drink recommendations, but let's go for just drink recommendations now (remember...lightweight drinks here folks!), what's in the drink and what they taste like. (Can you tell this is new to me? lol)

White Russians taste like chocolate milk for grownups. :drool:

Baileys and other Irish creme drinks are good as well....sweet, kinda chocolatey/carmelly....

Lager & Lime!!!
Preferrably a Harps w/ a half shot of Rose's lime juice--
Yummy :)
As for wine, I prefer a nice Shiraz.
After the screwdriver/blueberry waffle incident, I don't do any hard liquor, except for margaritas (and really, it's all about the salt with those anyway!)

Dreadsox said:

My Experiences with this nasty drink include being found completely naked in a bathroom for no apparent reason.

Hugging the soon to be Groom on the floor crying together telling each other we love each other, and about how he should not get married. It was called off 48 hours later.

My third experience was too embarrasing to talk about.

:uhoh::laugh:

clarityat3am said:
but let's go for just drink recommendations now (remember...lightweight drinks here folks!)

start with this drink...midori sour.
watermelon liquor.
it's delicious, and it's green.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
WINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:

AMEN! :up:

Getting a taste for wine is a great way to ease into alcoholic drinks. You don't drink wine to get drunk - it's a sipping/drinking along with a meal drink, and once you get a taste for it you can explore - there are some amazing wines out there for surprisingly reasonable prices. I'm completely spoiled on good wines since I live so close to some top notch wineries in the bay area.

As for the stories about tequila - I will only say that the ONLY time I got a hangover from tequila is when I had the cheap stuff - Jose Cuervo - STAY AWAY! (although....:hmm: I may have had to make a brief pit stop with the toilet bowl that night, but other events made that one of the best nights of my life, actually...) Try a nice silver or gold patron or reposado and I'm sure you'll find it very enjoyable. Good tequila should have almost no bite at all. In fact, tequila was originally intended as a sipping drink much like cognac or brandy. I much prefer the taste of good tequila over good vodka.

Back
Top Bottom