Friends vs Seinfeld

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a hard pick... I've loved both shows that being said.
Seinfeld has to be my favorite. It has an amazing ability to stay imprinted into my mind. I could be sitting at a bar with friends and start laughing because of an episode of seinfeld where they were sitting at the bar in the diner. I could relate a lot of things that happen to me back to Seinfeld!
Friends I could never REALLY relate to but it is hilarious. I quickly forget what I found funny :shrug:

Seinfeld significantly more. I watched quite a few Friends episodes as my mother watched it every Thursday. But Seinfeld is more clever, funnier, better written in general. Friends had less weight in its comedy, Seinfeld was much more real and created humor seemingly out of nowhere. Seinfeld was a revolution.

But yeah, when it was funny (the first few seasons), Friends was really funny! Chandler & Phoebe were my favorites! Ross sucked!

I "get" Seinfeld but I never did get its appeal. There's the odd chuckle and thought "oh that was clever" which rarely occurred with Friends. But what I wanted in a comedy was the laugh-out-loud kind and Friends provided that. Many times over.

(That being said I do find Seinfeld's stand-up comedy cd "I'm telling you for the last time" very funny)

Last edited:
Friends, definitely. Monica and Joey were my favorite characters! Chandler wasn't bad either, but I don't know why everyone hates Ross. He's so sweet. Sure he can be annoying at times, but hey, aren't we all annoying at times?

Do you like Friends or Seinfeld?

Well, do you like Bon Jovi or Metallica?

Seinfeld is just \m/etal, guys. Friends is not.

corianderstem said:

I run in cycles for shows in syndication, and I've about had my fill with Friends and The Simpsons for a while. I ran out of Seinfeld love a few years ago, but maybe in a few more months it'll be Seinfeld's turn to fill my syndication needs.

I can relate to the above, going through cycles in watching syndicated shows. :up:

Back during their original runs, I probably would have said that I liked Seinfeld just a tiiiiny bit more. But lately? I watch Friends all the time, and find Seinfeld a huge snore. It's nearly unwatchable to me.

That said, I also agree with the Frasier shoutouts, although I stopped watching that regularly for the last season or two. And I also love Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Random factoid - for the first three quarters of the Friends' run, I found Ross incredibly whiny, but for the last couple of seasons, he had some great lines - really funny.

MrPryck2U said:
I liked Friends the first 4 seasons. Once Monica and Chandler hooked up, the show kind of jumped the shark for me. I liked Seinfeld longer, but once Larry David left, the show wasn't as funny. BTW, Curb Your Enthusiasm is still damn funny!
Oh yeah, Seinfield!

This guy's a genius!

Seinfeld still managed to be funny even after Larry David left, but didn't have that earlier charm, just watch:

The Bizarro Jerry
The Chicken Roaster
The Little Jerry
The Summer of George
The Serenity Now
The Strike

they're all in my Top 25.

i completely second the above post.

does anyone know why larry david left seinfeld?
i've always wondered this, was he burned out?
was it on bad terms?
i can't imagine it being the latter cause i thought he's still friends with jerry and everyone except michael richards have made cameos on Curb.

I like Friends because of Lisa Kudrow as Phoebe. She would use names like Anna Beverhausen and Regina Phalange and it would make me roll over laughing. She was the most creative when it came to comedy she played the ditsy lady well. I was shocked to find out she comes from a family of doctors and almost got her PhD too.

elevation2u said:

was it on bad terms?
i can't imagine it being the latter cause i thought he's still friends with jerry and everyone except michael richards have made cameos on Curb.

i remember reading somewhere he said he was just burnt out on the show.

elevation2u said:

was it on bad terms?

I thought it was just because he wanted to focus on curb...

:shrug:

No contest. Seinfeld. Friends isn't even funny beyond the early seasons, and used the overused cheat of inserting cheesy drama with relationship moments between Ross and Rachel or some other couple to avoid writing humor. It's for people who didn't think Seinfeld wasn't any good because there were no attractive people on the show. Although I have problems with the last 3 caricature-ridden seasons, Seinfeld was revolutionary. Friends was a lamer version of Cheers.

tpsreports2424 said:

:lmao: curb could possibly the best show...ever

My problem with Curb Your Enthusiasm is that the humor isn't reality based in that everyone inevitably attacks Larry because he makes an obstinately rude remark. That's the basis of every episode and it's painful to watch people attack this guy beyond reason. It can be funny, but I just find it convoluted and not nearly the genius of Larry David's work on Seinfeld, except the dreaded 1995-96 season when everything changed and the comedy writers felt they had to dumb things down for more adolescent sensibilities.

Seinfeld by miles and miles and miles. Seinfeld is funny intelligent comedy. Friends is just a soap opera. Not funny at all.

I'm not wild about either of them, but I will say that Seinfeld is about a thousand times better than Friends. Elaine and Kramer are funny. Don't care much for George and Jerry.

American comedies, save for a few (namely Arrested Development and early Frasier), don't do anything for me in general. I find Brit comedies far more entertaining. Fawlty Towers and Blackadder are classics. Even the sillier British comedies like Ab Fab are great. Patsy Stone is probably my favourite female character to ever grace the sitcom stage. 'ABORT ABORT ABORT!'

Back
Top Bottom