Friends vs Seinfeld

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I liked Friends the first 4 seasons. Once Monica and Chandler hooked up, the show kind of jumped the shark for me. I liked Seinfeld longer, but once Larry David left, the show wasn't as funny. BTW, Curb Your Enthusiasm is still damn funny!
Oh yeah, Seinfield!

Friends was horrible. And it is so dated now, its horrible to watch!

Seinfield is also so dated, but its so funny who cares!

but none hold a candle to the supreme Arrested Development. Oh yes.

But i won't get started on UK comedies, cause they wipe the floor with everything you can throw at them.

Saracene said:
Friends is IMO nowhere near the league of Seinfeld.

Agreed.

I was actually very surprised that Friends lasted it's first season. I thought it was awful.

eek...Friends is still one of my favorite shows. Have all the seasons on DVD. Love Seinfeld as well. That being said, I find it hard to watch either show these days because they're still on reruns so much. Every once in a while though I come back to both shows, example: Seinfeld season 7 on DVD.

I guess I really didn't give an answer or preference. but I'd probably lean toward Friends myself. :shrug:

Friends ... the anticipation of waiting for so long to see if Ross and Rachel would ever really end up together forever ??
Was well worth it. :up:
And of course, we all knew that question wouldn't be answered until the end of the series. :wink:

MsMofoGone said:
Friends ... the anticipation of waiting for so long to see if Ross and Rachel would ever really end up together forever ??
Was well worth it. :up:
And of course, we all knew that question wouldn't be answered until the end of the series. :wink:

I know some people didn't want them to get together after all that time. but I'm sucker for that stuff. I was happy :reject:

FRASIER alle the way...

Niles: Double Cappuccino, half-caf, not-fat milk, with just enough foam to be aesthetically pleasing but not so much that it leaves a moustache.
Eric: Cinnamon or chocolate on that?
Niles: Oh they make this so complicated. Um, cinnamon.

But Seinfeld is a close second..
Friends is also good.. but there are a lot of other shows which are better. (Blackadder, Fawlty towers, Cheers, ..)

To quote others:

It's probably the most overrated show of the past 25 years.

People cared more about Jennifer Aniston's haircut than anything else.

Plus, Friends jumped the shark about 17 different times after 2 very good seasons. That's 2 out of 10 seasons.

Well, there's not much to discuss. Friends wasn't funny, unless you're in the Adam Sandler movie demographic. Seinfeld was well-written and funny.

Why does this even need a thread? If you really like Friends that much, isn't there a Kelly Clarkson album or catchphrase you could be practicing right now?

Friends is IMO nowhere near the league of Seinfeld.

patske said:
FRASIER alle the way...

Niles: Double Cappuccino, half-caf, not-fat milk, with just enough foam to be aesthetically pleasing but not so much that it leaves a moustache.
Eric: Cinnamon or chocolate on that?
Niles: Oh they make this so complicated. Um, cinnamon.

But Seinfeld is a close second..
Friends is also good.. but there are a lot of other shows which are better. (Blackadder, Fawlty towers, Cheers, ..)

I too, :heart: Frasier. I'd put that over Seinfeld myself!

Originally posted by U2Girl416
I know some people didn't want them to get together after all that time.

What ?? You've got to be kidding !! :ohmy:
I was sick-to-death of the fact that Ross and Rachel kept 'getting together' then 'breaking up' for so-ooo long. :tsk:
I cried every time they were with other people ... (for example, when Ross was with Emily ... or Rachel had an interest in Joey) :sad:
I too was so-ooo excited that Ross and Rachel FINALLY decided to commit to 'staying' together for good. :hug:

MsMofoGone said:

What ?? You've got to be kidding !! :ohmy:
I was sick-to-death of the fact that Ross and Rachel kept 'getting together' then 'breaking up' for so-ooo long. :tsk:
I cried every time they were with other people ... (for example, when Ross was with Emily ... or Rachel had an interest in Joey) :sad:
I too was so-ooo excited that Ross and Rachel FINALLY decided to commit to 'staying' together for good. :hug:

I'm with you MsMofo :hug:

I'm just saying that they kept teasing us for so long, they could have put them together for good long before they did at the end. :)

tpsreports2424 said:
I want this to be in a poll but I'm not premium:shrug:

$2.00. A small price to pay considering how much of our bandwidth you suck up :wink:

I love both shows equally. But I'm pretty sure I voted Seinfeld in the last poll.

I'm with you MsMofo :hug:
:hmm: Or was I agreeing with you ?? :wink:

I'm just saying that they kept teasing us for so long, they could have put them together for good long before they did at the end. :)

Absolutely true !! :up:
But, I believe the writers knew exactly what they were doing. That was one of the reasons their ratings stayed constantly so-ooo incredibly high for this show. Every time Ross and Rachel had a conflict ... everyone had to tune in the following week to find out the outcome.
It's kinda funny, I started thinking the same thing about Monica and Chandler once they were together. (the episode of them together in Europe, especially, was GREAT.) :D

MsMofoGone said:

:hmm: Or was I agreeing with you ?? :wink:

Absolutely true !! :up:
But, I believe the writers knew exactly what they were doing. That was one of the reasons their ratings stayed constantly so-ooo incredibly high for this show. Every time Ross and Rachel had a conflict ... everyone had to tune in the following week to find out the outcome.
It's kinda funny, I started thinking the same thing about Monica and Chandler once they were together. (the episode of them together in Europe, especially, was GREAT.) :D

I think the Ross and Rachel story worked and so did Monica and Chandler, but the Rachel/joey thing I think was a stretch for me. Although I think the writers knew that Ross/Rachel was a popular story, I think when they knew it was the last season, they were trying to make a bigger story out of it because they had already written so much other material in the past seasons.

corianderstem said:

Aw, don't be mean. Some of us like silly things like Friends and Kelly Clarkson as well as smarter stuff like Seinfeld and literature. The two are not mutually exclusive, and it pisses me off when people get all superior and culture snobbish about it.

:madspit:

I hate Adam Sandler and find Friends funny. What do you make of that, smart guy?

Yeah, Friends was cheesy, and sometimes annoying (who cares about Ross and Rachel, really?), but I enjoyed Joey's inanity, Phoebe's randomness, and Matthew Perry's delivery of Chandler's one-liners.

So sue me.
:love: Honestly it's just the fact that someone would compare Seinfeld and Friends. Seinfeld was quirky and worked well with the formula, but Friends always came off to me as completely blah. I, like everyone else, feel the need to fall into a lovable weekly group of characters, but when they're not doing anything remotely funny on a regular basis for me it really starts to irk me after a couple of viewings.

It's not even culture snobbery - I don't love Fraiser, I find it decent. I get tired of UK sitcoms' stereotypical stupid girl with an accent character too easily as well. It's just that Friends came off as even lower than 'safe' as a show. It was so lowest-common denominator it had no traction for funneh. The funny equivalent of mushy peas, if you will.

Last edited:
Although I think the writers knew that Ross/Rachel was a popular story
Yes indeed ... we all knew it was !! :love:

I think when they knew it was the last season, they were trying to make a bigger story out of it because they had already written so much other material in the past seasons.

Possibly !! Or maybe during the final season, the writers just wanted to make Ross and Rachel a "huge" story because they were FINALLY gonna give their audience what most of us wanted ... to have both of them end up together once and for all !! :applaud:

There are loads of memorable quotes from Friends, just not memorable to anyone who doesn't watch the show. :wink:

I could say "Then I guess I'm going to Yemen!" in a Chandler-esque voice, but if you don't watch the reruns, it will mean nothing to you, and you'll just look at me strangely. (I get that a lot. Where are my people???)

Seinfeld has more quotes that sunk into the cultural lexicon.

I guess it just comes down to tastes in humor. I thought Friends was often very funny, not everyone does. Que sera sera!

Canadiens, you're right in that Friends vs. Seinfeld is a shoddy comparison to begin with. And :love: right back atcha. No hard feelings - it's kind of a sore spot for me.

Oh, and the Joey/Rachel storyline was HORRIBLE. It's the one time I was pissed off at the show. It felt so forced and lame, just another wrench to throw into the Ross/Rachel saga.

corianderstem said:

Oh, and the Joey/Rachel storyline was HORRIBLE. It's the one time I was pissed off at the show. It felt so forced and lame, just another wrench to throw into the Ross/Rachel saga.

:yes:

"don't steal my thunder"

I'm not american, but I think that phrase came from that Friends episode

BTW, Seinfeld RULES

PS: Chandler should've been a Seinfeld character... the best thing of friends was him

pepokiss said:
PS: Chandler should've been a Seinfeld character... the best thing of friends was him

:up:

I think Seinfeld hasn't held up as well for me because I didn't really care that much about the characters. George made me tense and nervous!

I remember and identify with the Seinfeld characters because they were fallible and human. I think that was a major appeal of the show. Not plain sillyness for sillyness' sake, but born out of retarded everyday situations.

I like silliness. :wink:

I run in cycles for shows in syndication, and I've about had my fill with Friends and The Simpsons for a while. I ran out of Seinfeld love a few years ago, but maybe in a few more months it'll be Seinfeld's turn to fill my syndication needs.

corianderstem said:

Aw, don't be mean. Some of us like silly things like Friends and Kelly Clarkson as well as smarter stuff like Seinfeld and literature. The two are not mutually exclusive, and it pisses me off when people get all superior and culture snobbish about it.

:madspit:

I hate Adam Sandler and find Friends funny. What do you make of that, smart guy?

Yeah, Friends was cheesy, and sometimes annoying (who cares about Ross and Rachel, really?), but I enjoyed Joey's inanity, Phoebe's randomness, and Matthew Perry's delivery of Chandler's one-liners.

So sue me.

:love: :love: :love:

I just laugh because my friends remind me so much of Joey and Chandler (I hang out with a lot of guys)

yes it was often silly, but I thought it was funny. and I didn't care about the romance element as much...the Ross/Rachel thing interested me sometimes, but it eventually got old, sometime after he married Emily and said Rachel's name (c'mon, was that not funny? i thought it was). Chandler and Monica was just weird.

i was never really a devoted watcher in terms of seeing new episodes, I just watched it whenever it was on, and I still will if reruns come on. it's funny to me :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom