Friends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's one my top 5 all-time favorite shows. It's brilliant in it's own way. Chandler's my favorite character, mainly because I'm a female version of him. I even talk like him. Case in point, yesterday: Me- "Could it BE any colder out here?":lol:

CHandler: "you think it says I love you?"

Ross: "what do you think if you give her a really expensive a thoughtfull gift, and her boyfriend Joey, gives her an orange"

:lmao:

I love catching the old random episodes on late night or while channel surfing when nothing much else is on. This cast had the most awesome comedic timing and chemistry. Classic show for sure :wink:

I've only seen a handful of episodes, but I loved them. I'd love to catch up with the DVDs sometime.

I know it's not the greatest show ever, but I always really enjoyed it. Except maybe the first season or two, before things clicked and before I actually liked any of the characters.

The one thing I wish they'd never done was the Joey-Rachel "will they or won't they" storyline? That was horrid.

I loved the show in the beginning and even went to a taping (everyone who made the show was a total perfectionist so they're tapings lasted forever). I think it lasted about three seasons too long, though. The character that faired the worst in all that was Monica, by the end all she did was yell.

I have it all on dvd. Gotta love the Joey/Chandler moment where Joey wants an acting name and Chandler suggests Joseph Stalin.

Friends had a better-than-average writing staff. I won't claim that it didn't have good jokes. But it's the most generic sitcom imaginable. There's basically no premise. Just....friends. Well, white friends, to be exact. And I find that rather boring.

The idea that this show is some kind of gold standard is unsettling, because it's completely unchallenging in any way whatsoever.

It's interesting, though, because I find that the people I knew in high school who loved friends were, in retrospect, very similar in their mutual lack of depth of character.

cookiemonstertx4.gif

I never understood the hype of the show until recently when Babydoll recommended it.

Just thought I'd watched a few episodes to see what it's like. I ended up watching 4 episodes every night.
I think I watched seasons 1 - 9 in a month, and ready to start season 10 shortly.

Not my favorite show ever, but it still has some funny moments.
My favorite characters are Pheobe and Chandler.

Monica and Rachel annoy the piss out of me :|

Dane Cook : stand up comedy :: Friends : sitcoms

Both wildly overrated and insipid. Both denounced by anyone with half a brain.

But actually, That 70s Show was worse.

I got every analogy right on my SAT, bitch.

Beat that, YLB, and you might get into as fine an institution as mine. I don't even know how the new scoring system compares to the old, though. Maybe you will beat me. Maybe.

impy13 said:

THAT 70'S SHOW !!!! oh geez, do you have no taste :rolleyes:
sure these shows are mindless and don't really change the world. . . . . . . but they're funny. Sitcoms are supposed to be an escape from the real world and all it's problems.

signed, Ms Chanandler Bong
:giggle:

I didn't like the Rachel loves Joey thing either :madspit:

impy13 said:
I got every analogy right on my SAT, bitch.

Beat that, YLB, and you might get into as fine an institution as mine. I don't even know how the new scoring system compares to the old, though. Maybe you will beat me. Maybe.

I got like a 930 or something according to the old scale back in 9th grade, I hope I do a bit better this time around.

Anyway, mindless humor is totally cool. I like mine to be funny, like The Office, 30 Rock, Seinfeld, and even Reno 911.

impy13 said:

That analogy is so far off you'd need a plane to get from one side to the other.

Dane Cook is a terrible, terrible stand-up comedian. A more accurate sitcom counterpart would be something like 'According To Jim' or some shit like that. Friends is IONS ahead of ATJ(just staying with my example). As is That 70s Show. Well, at least the first four or five years of That 70s Show.

Friends is awesome.

Chandler: Condoms?
Joey: You don't know how long we're gonna be in here! We may have to repopulate the Earth.
Chandler: And condoms are the way to do that?

:lol:

It amazes me that people can watch both Seinfeld AND Friends. One totally subverts the whole sitcom genre and is endlessly inventive and brilliant. The other is just a bunch of punch-lines delivered by good-looking yuppies. You take away the rabid drooling over the cast members (male and female) and the show is cancelled after one season.

At least Fraiser (another standard sitcom) had interesting characters and wasn't aimed at the lowest common denominator.

And if you want the correct analogy:

Friends:Sitcoms :: Jay Leno: stand-up comedy

Inoffensive, whitebread, homogenized.

I enjoy both Seinfeld and Friends.

I actually have a full brain, thankyouverymuch.

(And Dane Cook is horrendously unfunny.)

Back
Top Bottom