Fried Mars bars in Scotland?!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thrillme

Refugee
Mom fell asleep watching some cooking channel, and they have foods from all around, and a candy bar, deep fried in Scotland?

Any Scottish people can verify this?

that sounds worse than the fried twinkies they have here at the state fair (i've never tried one)

:sick:

hmm...i just did a search on google and found a lot on the fried MARS bars. I :heart: MARS bars, but i don't think i could eat one fried :shrug: oh, and i'm not Scottish :wink:

_654750_friedmarsbar300.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/654750.stm

Deep fried Mars Bars originated in Scotland

A Scottish chef has sparked a national debate in France after outraging food purists by putting deep-fried chocolate bars on the menu.

Ross Kendall introduced the "delicacy" after joining the Parisian restaurant Le Chipper when it opened last year.

That sort of thing will never work in France

Rival chef Marie-Ange Renaud
His menu also features chocolate-filled ravioli and chicken in Seven-Up but it was the popularity of the deep-fried Mars Bar with a dash of cinnamon that got French food critics in a stew.

The menu became the subject of a national debate after a prominent critic championed the fare, according to The Times.

Newspaper inundated

Vincent Noce, of the left-wing daily Liberation declared that the ?1.40 battered bars were "not bad at all".

The newspaper said it had been inundated by readers angry at what they saw as an insult to Gallic gastronomy.

Marie-Ange Renaud, from Le Petit Bonheur, a traditional restaurant next to Le Chipper, said: "I tried one of their deep-fried Mars Bars and found it disgusting.

Nick Nairn and Susan Deacon promote healthy eating

"That sort of thing will never work in France."

The deep-fried Mars Bar is thought to have originated in Stonehaven, in the north-east of Scotland.

Its existence may help account for the fact that parts of Scotland have the highest incidence of heart disease, cancer and strokes, the worst teeth and the lowest life expectancy in the developed world.

Attempts continue to try to rid Scotland of its unhealthy image.

Celebrity campaign

The Health Education Board for Scotland (Hebs) has launched a TV advertising campaign to encourage people to take a small step towards a healthier life.

The four adverts feature celebrities demonstrating how easy it is to switch to a healthier way of living without losing out on the good things in life.

Celebrity chef Nick Nairn, who appears in one of the adverts, was joined at the launch by Health Minister Susan Deacon.

Hebs spokesman Martin Raymond said: "You can't change people's behaviour by TV ads alone, but you can help to push healthy choices into people's daily lives.

"Our new commercials are a mix of the serious and humorous. In our research people told us that they wanted advice that didn't involve parading around in tight shorts or forcing down your greens."

Last edited:
hmm, i guess sicy's away for the moment, but i see cleasai under the mistletoe now too :kiss:

ABEL said:
hmm...i just did a search on google and found a lot on the fried MARS bars. I :heart: MARS bars, but i don't think i could eat one fried :shrug: oh, and i'm not Scottish :wink:
they may not be the mars bars you're thinking of. in the uk and such, mars bars don't come with nuts on them. they're essentially like milky ways but they supposedly taste better. tmyk. :wink:

i've had a deep fried milky way bar, but i just peeled off the breading. so i essentially had a melted candy bar! :laugh: but it was interesting.

oh, and for anyone in and around the new york area, there's this restaurant called a salt and battery, this guy from scotland sells deep fried mars bars there too. he imports them from the uk, that's how i found out the difference between american and english mars bars. :huh:

zoney! said:

On my computer...must be to long. :shrug:

:hmm: i did take one line out, it should have the link for my website at the top, then my self portrait, and the mistletoe to the side...i don't see anything cut off :scratch:

anyone else see my sig cutt off? :shrug:

this is what the sig should have on it...i took this screen shot directly from interference.

does anyone else NOT see this as my sig?

Attachments

• sig.jpg
    sig.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 45
ok zoney...i changed my sig...i think it looks better now, you should be able to see it all?

Yeah, the Mars bars have no nuts, I heard that from the show.

Turns out this was a show about "Fried Foods", they also had a segment about Funnel Cakes and Corn Dogs. Fried Mars bars, funnel cakes and corn dog, :sick: I like funnel cakes, I like corn dogs, but not at the same time.

Thanks abel, now people can know what I'm rambling about, without having seen the show.

;)

they do deep fried mars bars here too - never had one though

Back
Top Bottom