Fresh Kills, Staten Island Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know how people like PFan go on about death growls? In my view, graphic novels are to books what death growls are to singing for PFan. I don't see why it's simply not a proper book, because it sounds like it'd be interesting.

It's just the whole "using a different medium to communicate" thing, I guess. It'd suck horribly as a book, just because of the visual cues and themes.

For example, in one panel we see V's library, and if you look at it carefully you see various books themed around anarchy or overthrow of government. Stuff like that you just can't communicate in a book without wasting space, whereas you can pack all that into one panel.

That being said, I'd almost always go for a book, with rare exceptions like V for Vendetta. And I will never watch that Asian trash they call "anime".

:lol: See, I'd have a crisis of wallet, being a stingy bastard.

Plus I know it takes a fair bit to get me close to drunk. Unless I drink fast, like last night, when I was most certainly tipsy for a short period!

Hah, I'm Asian, so I'm a stingy bastard by default!

We've gotta try and find you a beer you like this Thursday. At least by the time Bonnie comes along.

You'd actually probably quite like the themes in it. Anarchy, death, destruction, overthrow of a tyrannical government... Graphic novels aren't exactly literature to be true, but they are a pretty powerful medium, I'd say.

Graphic novels have so much potential, but most of them are complete shit. It's unfortunate, most of the best comic book writers would be average at writing movies or novels. There are comics I feel like I should enjoy more, like Preacher and Sandman, but I couldn't get into either of them that much.

COOL SANDMAN FACT, THOUGH: The original concept art for Sandman was based off of Bono in the In A Lifetime clip!

Graphic novels have so much potential, but most of them are complete shit. It's unfortunate, most of the best comic book writers would be average at writing movies or novels. There are comics I feel like I should enjoy more, like Preacher and Sandman, but I couldn't get into either of them that much.

COOL SANDMAN FACT, THOUGH: The original concept art for Sandman was based off of Bono in the In A Lifetime clip!

Yeah... The only good ones I've found are the ones by Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman.

And :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: really?

I do know that Morpheus from the Matrix was based off Sandman though.

It's just the whole "using a different medium to communicate" thing, I guess. It'd suck horribly as a book, just because of the visual cues and themes.

For example, in one panel we see V's library, and if you look at it carefully you see various books themed around anarchy or overthrow of government. Stuff like that you just can't communicate in a book without wasting space, whereas you can pack all that into one panel.

That being said, I'd almost always go for a book, with rare exceptions like V for Vendetta. And I will never watch that Asian trash they call "anime".

I think it's fair to say that my vision influences how I perceive graphic novels - a book is much easier to read, and I find graphic novels to be agonisingly slow going, not to mention tiring and I miss most of the visual cues you mention because they're so small that I just can't see them to begin with.

I totally don't get the fascination with anime (which I can't help but read as "an-eym"). The drawing is so wildly cliche and samey, for one thing.

Also, I honestly can't understand why ANYONE would read superhero comics. Fifty, sixty years ago, sure. But god, they're so fucking retarded.

AGREED.

If you're any older than about nine, I don't see why you'd give a shit.

Also, Superman has got to be the dumbest name for a superhero ever.

Also, I honestly can't understand why ANYONE would read superhero comics. Fifty, sixty years ago, sure. But god, they're so fucking retarded.

I read them when I'm bored, mostly for the storyline and characters. Strictly speaking, I don't read superhero comics anyway - all of the ones I read have title characters who don't have superpowers, ie. Batman and Green Arrow.

Hah, I'm Asian, so I'm a stingy bastard by default!

We've gotta try and find you a beer you like this Thursday. At least by the time Bonnie comes along.

Apparently because I'm a Capricorn, I'm stingy by default. Fellow Albino Railfan doesn't take that sort of shit seriously but she likes to get a laugh out of it, and she says that every Capricorn she's ever met has fulfilled the "Capricorns = stingy" thing.

Good luck. I'll be more interested in what wine they have ...

Oh gods, I really do love U2's cover of Satellite of Love... Am I the only one?

On the very rare and extraordinary occasions that I listen to a ZooTV bootleg, it's one of the tracks I routinely skip. It just bores me.

Apparently because I'm a Capricorn, I'm stingy by default. Fellow Albino Railfan doesn't take that sort of shit seriously but she likes to get a laugh out of it, and she says that every Capricorn she's ever met has fulfilled the "Capricorns = stingy" thing.

Good luck. I'll be more interested in what wine they have ...

I don't see how a bunch of flaming balls in the sky have anything to do with the destiny of man, to paraphrase Terry Pratchett. But if that's the explanation you have for being a stingy bastard, I call cop-out. Just face it, you're secretly part Asian somewhere inside. :shifty:

Yeah... The only good ones I've found are the ones by Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman.

And :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: really?

I do like some stuff by Garth Ennis, Hitman I really enjoyed, for example. I think he hit the characters spot on, and while some of it was questionable, it didn't seem like it was trying way too hard, unlike Preacher. Also, the artist for Preacher, Steve Dillon I think, draws incredibly boringly. Didn't draw me in at all.

I love Frank Miller's art, but his story writing - not so much. Which is funny, since he apparently got into the business to become a writer rather than artist.

And yes, it's true.

MichaelVox U2 Pop Culture Database: Sandman

On the very rare and extraordinary occasions that I listen to a ZooTV bootleg, it's one of the tracks I routinely skip. It just bores me.

I meant the studio version on the One single... oh. Of course. Which you've never listened to!

I don't see how a bunch of flaming balls in the sky have anything to do with the destiny of man, to paraphrase Terry Pratchett. But if that's the explanation you have for being a stingy bastard, I call cop-out. Just face it, you're secretly part Asian somewhere inside. :shifty:

My own explanation for my stinginess is that I'd rather the money be in my pocket than in some other bastard's!

I do like some stuff by Garth Ennis, Hitman I really enjoyed, for example. I think he hit the characters spot on, and while some of it was questionable, it didn't seem like it was trying way too hard, unlike Preacher. Also, the artist for Preacher, Steve Dillon I think, draws incredibly boringly. Didn't draw me in at all.

I love Frank Miller's art, but his story writing - not so much. Which is funny, since he apparently got into the business to become a writer rather than artist.

And yes, it's true.

MichaelVox U2 Pop Culture Database: Sandman

:lmao: :laugh: :lol:

And I haven't come across much of Frank Miller apart from his Dark Knight stuff and some of his Daredevil stuff. Worth looking into?

And I haven't come across much of Frank Miller apart from his Dark Knight stuff and some of his Daredevil stuff. Worth looking into?

OK, here's one thing that stops me taking graphic novels seriously: Dark Knight? Daredevil? Preacher? Hitman? How cliche and six year old does this want to be?

:up:

Who gave that to you, anyway?

:lol: I once ordered a stash of U2 stuff online that was going at a good price. It happened to be one of the items. I think that's when I got Passengers and the MDH soundtrack too.

Ronin is meant to be good, but I haven't read it. The Sin City series is pretty cool. 300 is worth a look at for the art alone, but the story itself is just a dumbed down Battle of Thermopylai (though it's not nearly as stupid as the movie).

OK, here's one thing that stops me taking graphic novels seriously: Dark Knight? Daredevil? Preacher? Hitman? How cliche and six year old does this want to be?

All of those are squarely aimed at males from about 18-36 with IQs of under 110, which may explain the titles.

I still like Hitman, though.

That is true, although a title like "The Anarchist Left Faction: Baader-Meinhof against Germany" for graphic novels obviously doesn't work well.

Axver, I plan on writing and illustrating a comic book within the next few years. It's set around 180BC when the Romans were fighting the Iberians in Spain. It's a story about identity, not so much history. What so you think the title should be?

All of those are squarely aimed at males from about 18-36 with IQs of under 110, which may explain the titles.

:lol: Just like half of everything nowadays ...

Am I the only person who wants to throw their TV out the window when an ad for Big Bother's Big Mouth comes on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom