Fresh Kills, Staten Island Superthread - Page 55 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #811
Blue Crack Addict
 
Varitek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: on borderland we run
Posts: 16,861
Local Time: 02:36 PM
ok i'm sad cause eits guy just went home so we're over. gonna go escape into tv/maybe fall asleep
__________________

__________________
Varitek is offline  
Old 05-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #812
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
major_panic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: the ASIAN TEAM
Posts: 7,450
Local Time: 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
You know how people like PFan go on about death growls? In my view, graphic novels are to books what death growls are to singing for PFan. I don't see why it's simply not a proper book, because it sounds like it'd be interesting.
It's just the whole "using a different medium to communicate" thing, I guess. It'd suck horribly as a book, just because of the visual cues and themes.

For example, in one panel we see V's library, and if you look at it carefully you see various books themed around anarchy or overthrow of government. Stuff like that you just can't communicate in a book without wasting space, whereas you can pack all that into one panel.

That being said, I'd almost always go for a book, with rare exceptions like V for Vendetta. And I will never watch that Asian trash they call "anime".
__________________

__________________
major_panic is offline  
Old 05-27-2008, 08:52 AM   #813
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
major_panic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: the ASIAN TEAM
Posts: 7,450
Local Time: 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
See, I'd have a crisis of wallet, being a stingy bastard.

Plus I know it takes a fair bit to get me close to drunk. Unless I drink fast, like last night, when I was most certainly tipsy for a short period!
Hah, I'm Asian, so I'm a stingy bastard by default!

We've gotta try and find you a beer you like this Thursday. At least by the time Bonnie comes along.
__________________
major_panic is offline  
Old 05-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #814
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by major_panic View Post
You'd actually probably quite like the themes in it. Anarchy, death, destruction, overthrow of a tyrannical government... Graphic novels aren't exactly literature to be true, but they are a pretty powerful medium, I'd say.
Graphic novels have so much potential, but most of them are complete shit. It's unfortunate, most of the best comic book writers would be average at writing movies or novels. There are comics I feel like I should enjoy more, like Preacher and Sandman, but I couldn't get into either of them that much.

COOL SANDMAN FACT, THOUGH: The original concept art for Sandman was based off of Bono in the In A Lifetime clip!
__________________
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #815
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
major_panic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: the ASIAN TEAM
Posts: 7,450
Local Time: 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Graphic novels have so much potential, but most of them are complete shit. It's unfortunate, most of the best comic book writers would be average at writing movies or novels. There are comics I feel like I should enjoy more, like Preacher and Sandman, but I couldn't get into either of them that much.

COOL SANDMAN FACT, THOUGH: The original concept art for Sandman was based off of Bono in the In A Lifetime clip!
Yeah... The only good ones I've found are the ones by Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman.



And really?

I do know that Morpheus from the Matrix was based off Sandman though.
__________________
major_panic is offline  
Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #816
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,039
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by major_panic View Post
It's just the whole "using a different medium to communicate" thing, I guess. It'd suck horribly as a book, just because of the visual cues and themes.

For example, in one panel we see V's library, and if you look at it carefully you see various books themed around anarchy or overthrow of government. Stuff like that you just can't communicate in a book without wasting space, whereas you can pack all that into one panel.

That being said, I'd almost always go for a book, with rare exceptions like V for Vendetta. And I will never watch that Asian trash they call "anime".
I think it's fair to say that my vision influences how I perceive graphic novels - a book is much easier to read, and I find graphic novels to be agonisingly slow going, not to mention tiring and I miss most of the visual cues you mention because they're so small that I just can't see them to begin with.

I totally don't get the fascination with anime (which I can't help but read as "an-eym"). The drawing is so wildly cliche and samey, for one thing.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #817
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,691
Local Time: 05:06 AM
Also, I honestly can't understand why ANYONE would read superhero comics. Fifty, sixty years ago, sure. But god, they're so fucking retarded.
__________________
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 05-27-2008, 08:58 AM   #818
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,039
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varitek View Post
ok i'm sad cause eits guy just went home so we're over. gonna go escape into tv/maybe fall asleep
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-27-2008, 08:58 AM   #819
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,039
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Also, I honestly can't understand why ANYONE would read superhero comics. Fifty, sixty years ago, sure. But god, they're so fucking retarded.
AGREED.

If you're any older than about nine, I don't see why you'd give a shit.

Also, Superman has got to be the dumbest name for a superhero ever.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-27-2008, 08:59 AM   #820
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
major_panic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: the ASIAN TEAM
Posts: 7,450
Local Time: 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varitek View Post
ok i'm sad cause eits guy just went home so we're over. gonna go escape into tv/maybe fall asleep
Wait, who's eits guy?

Damn, I really have been away from here too long...
__________________
major_panic is offline  
Old 05-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #821
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
major_panic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: the ASIAN TEAM
Posts: 7,450
Local Time: 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Also, I honestly can't understand why ANYONE would read superhero comics. Fifty, sixty years ago, sure. But god, they're so fucking retarded.
I read them when I'm bored, mostly for the storyline and characters. Strictly speaking, I don't read superhero comics anyway - all of the ones I read have title characters who don't have superpowers, ie. Batman and Green Arrow.
__________________
major_panic is offline  
Old 05-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #822
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,039
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by major_panic View Post
Hah, I'm Asian, so I'm a stingy bastard by default!

We've gotta try and find you a beer you like this Thursday. At least by the time Bonnie comes along.
Apparently because I'm a Capricorn, I'm stingy by default. Fellow Albino Railfan doesn't take that sort of shit seriously but she likes to get a laugh out of it, and she says that every Capricorn she's ever met has fulfilled the "Capricorns = stingy" thing.

Good luck. I'll be more interested in what wine they have ...
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-27-2008, 09:01 AM   #823
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
major_panic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: the ASIAN TEAM
Posts: 7,450
Local Time: 05:36 AM
Oh gods, I really do love U2's cover of Satellite of Love... Am I the only one?
__________________
major_panic is offline  
Old 05-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #824
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,039
Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by major_panic View Post
Oh gods, I really do love U2's cover of Satellite of Love... Am I the only one?
On the very rare and extraordinary occasions that I listen to a ZooTV bootleg, it's one of the tracks I routinely skip. It just bores me.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 05-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #825
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
major_panic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: the ASIAN TEAM
Posts: 7,450
Local Time: 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Apparently because I'm a Capricorn, I'm stingy by default. Fellow Albino Railfan doesn't take that sort of shit seriously but she likes to get a laugh out of it, and she says that every Capricorn she's ever met has fulfilled the "Capricorns = stingy" thing.

Good luck. I'll be more interested in what wine they have ...
I don't see how a bunch of flaming balls in the sky have anything to do with the destiny of man, to paraphrase Terry Pratchett. But if that's the explanation you have for being a stingy bastard, I call cop-out. Just face it, you're secretly part Asian somewhere inside.
__________________

__________________
major_panic is offline  
 

Tags
superthread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com