Fresh Kills, Staten Island Superthread - Page 55 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #811
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:36 PM
ok i'm sad cause eits guy just went home so we're over. gonna go escape into tv/maybe fall asleep

Old 05-27-2008, 08:51 AM   #812
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
You know how people like PFan go on about death growls? In my view, graphic novels are to books what death growls are to singing for PFan. I don't see why it's simply not a proper book, because it sounds like it'd be interesting.
It's just the whole "using a different medium to communicate" thing, I guess. It'd suck horribly as a book, just because of the visual cues and themes.

For example, in one panel we see V's library, and if you look at it carefully you see various books themed around anarchy or overthrow of government. Stuff like that you just can't communicate in a book without wasting space, whereas you can pack all that into one panel.

That being said, I'd almost always go for a book, with rare exceptions like V for Vendetta. And I will never watch that Asian trash they call "anime".

Old 05-27-2008, 08:52 AM   #813
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
See, I'd have a crisis of wallet, being a stingy bastard.

Plus I know it takes a fair bit to get me close to drunk. Unless I drink fast, like last night, when I was most certainly tipsy for a short period!
Hah, I'm Asian, so I'm a stingy bastard by default!

We've gotta try and find you a beer you like this Thursday. At least by the time Bonnie comes along.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #814
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by major_panic View Post
You'd actually probably quite like the themes in it. Anarchy, death, destruction, overthrow of a tyrannical government... Graphic novels aren't exactly literature to be true, but they are a pretty powerful medium, I'd say.
Graphic novels have so much potential, but most of them are complete shit. It's unfortunate, most of the best comic book writers would be average at writing movies or novels. There are comics I feel like I should enjoy more, like Preacher and Sandman, but I couldn't get into either of them that much.

COOL SANDMAN FACT, THOUGH: The original concept art for Sandman was based off of Bono in the In A Lifetime clip!
Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #815
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Graphic novels have so much potential, but most of them are complete shit. It's unfortunate, most of the best comic book writers would be average at writing movies or novels. There are comics I feel like I should enjoy more, like Preacher and Sandman, but I couldn't get into either of them that much.

COOL SANDMAN FACT, THOUGH: The original concept art for Sandman was based off of Bono in the In A Lifetime clip!
Yeah... The only good ones I've found are the ones by Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman.

And really?

I do know that Morpheus from the Matrix was based off Sandman though.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #816
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:36 AM
Quote:
It's just the whole "using a different medium to communicate" thing, I guess. It'd suck horribly as a book, just because of the visual cues and themes.

For example, in one panel we see V's library, and if you look at it carefully you see various books themed around anarchy or overthrow of government. Stuff like that you just can't communicate in a book without wasting space, whereas you can pack all that into one panel.

That being said, I'd almost always go for a book, with rare exceptions like V for Vendetta. And I will never watch that Asian trash they call "anime".
I think it's fair to say that my vision influences how I perceive graphic novels - a book is much easier to read, and I find graphic novels to be agonisingly slow going, not to mention tiring and I miss most of the visual cues you mention because they're so small that I just can't see them to begin with.

I totally don't get the fascination with anime (which I can't help but read as "an-eym"). The drawing is so wildly cliche and samey, for one thing.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #817
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:06 AM
Also, I honestly can't understand why ANYONE would read superhero comics. Fifty, sixty years ago, sure. But god, they're so fucking retarded.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:58 AM   #818
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varitek View Post
ok i'm sad cause eits guy just went home so we're over. gonna go escape into tv/maybe fall asleep

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-27-2008, 08:58 AM   #819
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Also, I honestly can't understand why ANYONE would read superhero comics. Fifty, sixty years ago, sure. But god, they're so fucking retarded.
AGREED.

If you're any older than about nine, I don't see why you'd give a shit.

Also, Superman has got to be the dumbest name for a superhero ever.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-27-2008, 08:59 AM   #820
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varitek View Post
Wait, who's eits guy?

Damn, I really have been away from here too long...
Old 05-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #821
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
I read them when I'm bored, mostly for the storyline and characters. Strictly speaking, I don't read superhero comics anyway - all of the ones I read have title characters who don't have superpowers, ie. Batman and Green Arrow.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #822
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Hah, I'm Asian, so I'm a stingy bastard by default!

We've gotta try and find you a beer you like this Thursday. At least by the time Bonnie comes along.
Apparently because I'm a Capricorn, I'm stingy by default. Fellow Albino Railfan doesn't take that sort of shit seriously but she likes to get a laugh out of it, and she says that every Capricorn she's ever met has fulfilled the "Capricorns = stingy" thing.

Good luck. I'll be more interested in what wine they have ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-27-2008, 09:01 AM   #823
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Oh gods, I really do love U2's cover of Satellite of Love... Am I the only one?
Old 05-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #824
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Oh gods, I really do love U2's cover of Satellite of Love... Am I the only one?
On the very rare and extraordinary occasions that I listen to a ZooTV bootleg, it's one of the tracks I routinely skip. It just bores me.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #825
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Apparently because I'm a Capricorn, I'm stingy by default. Fellow Albino Railfan doesn't take that sort of shit seriously but she likes to get a laugh out of it, and she says that every Capricorn she's ever met has fulfilled the "Capricorns = stingy" thing.

Good luck. I'll be more interested in what wine they have ...
I don't see how a bunch of flaming balls in the sky have anything to do with the destiny of man, to paraphrase Terry Pratchett. But if that's the explanation you have for being a stingy bastard, I call cop-out. Just face it, you're secretly part Asian somewhere inside.

Tags
superthread