Fresh Kills, Staten Island Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
300 is worth a look at for the art alone, but the story itself is just a dumbed down Battle of Thermopylai (though it's not nearly as stupid as the movie).

I don't think that'd be difficult at all.

And yeah, you're right about the target audience thing. I just read them for escapism, mostly.

Oh gods, Stuck (acoustic) just came up. I might just fall asleep at the keyboaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

:lol: Just like half of everything nowadays ...

Am I the only person who wants to throw their TV out the window when an ad for Big Bother's Big Mouth comes on?

I don't watch TV for precisely that reason. I have too many things lying around that could cause a lot of collateral damage in the room.

That, and the lead actor from CSI: Miami seriously shits me up the wall.

Axver, I plan on writing and illustrating a comic book within the next few years. It's set around 180BC when the Romans were fighting the Iberians in Spain. It's a story about identity, not so much history. What so you think the title should be?

Just because I critique shit titles doesn't mean I'm any good at coming up with them myself. :laugh:

One thing I love about Melbourne University is that I don't have to title my essays, unlike in Queensland where titles were required. In my own fiction writing, I just steal song lyrics I like.

Also, that sounds like a pretty cool concept you've got there.

That is true, although a title like "The Anarchist Left Faction: Baader-Meinhof against Germany" for graphic novels obviously doesn't work well.

I would totally read a graphic novel with that title.

... that speaks for itself.

Just because I critique shit titles doesn't mean I'm any good at coming up with them myself. :laugh:

One thing I love about Melbourne University is that I don't have to title my essays, unlike in Queensland where titles were required. In my own fiction writing, I just steal song lyrics I like.

How about "Hello Hello, (hola!)!" :reject:

I think we can, even if I go to bed a little late I'll still have no problem getting up in the morning. Tomorrow's lesson we're discussing Francisco Goya. :hyper:

I'm planning on going to bed between 1-2am. Just more plugging away at the Royal Historical Society for me tomorrow. Though I do need to write some stuff tonight about Melbourne's old Fish Markets. I think I posted a photo of the Fish Markets building before, a beautiful structure on the intersection of Flinders and Spencer Streets. The people who tore it down should be prosecuted.

I don't watch TV for precisely that reason. I have too many things lying around that could cause a lot of collateral damage in the room.

That, and the lead actor from CSI: Miami seriously shits me up the wall.

I only watch three shows a week at the moment: Spicks & Specks, SBS World News, and Good News Week. GNW requires watching 10 and suffering their godawful ads. :grumpy:

Can't wait for Top Gear and The Chaser to come back.

Dear 15 year old boys who make Big Mouth a ratings success,

At 2am tonight, please sneak onto the computer, load Google, and type in "boobies". I promise you, the results will be more exciting than any episode of Big Mouth you watch behind your parents' backs.

Regards,
People who want shit shows to stop rating well

I only watch three shows a week at the moment: Spicks & Specks, SBS World News, and Good News Week. GNW requires watching 10 and suffering their godawful ads. :grumpy:

Can't wait for Top Gear and The Chaser to come back.

I watch none of the above... Hmmm, which reminds me, I need to see if Top Gear have finished their new season yet.

I watch none of the above... Hmmm, which reminds me, I need to see if Top Gear have finished their new season yet.

Spicks & Specks and GNW bring the lulz. So does SBS World News whenever George Bush is on!

I did see an ad for Top Gear's new season "coming soon!" when I was watching SBS sometime last week ...

Spicks & Specks and GNW bring the lulz. So does SBS World News whenever George Bush is on!

I did see an ad for Top Gear's new season "coming soon!" when I was watching SBS sometime last week ...

According to the Top Gear website, they're not there yet. Wikipedia agrees.

Which means, if the ABC is to be trusted, that we'll actually get Season 11 at the same time as the UK!

Unless of course the ABC means Season 10, which wouldn't surprise me at all.

Dear 15 year old boys who make Big Mouth a ratings success,

At 2am tonight, please sneak onto the computer, load Google, and type in "boobies". I promise you, the results will be more exciting than any episode of Big Mouth you watch behind your parents' backs.

Regards,
People who want shit shows to stop rating well

What the hell is Big Mouth?

On second thought, I don't think I want to know, do I?

I was telling the idea to Screwtape last week, because he wants to be a comic book writer. He was all talking about this great script he's written and how he wanted critiques of it, so of course I ask to have a look at it. It was just some crap about mutants. I hope he's not here reading this, but I didn't get anything out of it. Also it was only like two pages long so there was basically nothing to critique. And so I tell him my plans, how I'm looking for a suitable art style and ways to distinguish the characters, and he doesn't seem that impressed. Well, at least I'm not writing about fucking mutants!

My sister has told me a bit about the newest Top Gears, since she lives in Britain. She said they're absolutely fucking wonderful.

God, I wish those three could host every show!

What the hell is Big Mouth?

On second thought, I don't think I want to know, do I?

It's the weekly "adults only" edition of Big Bother. As far as I understand it, it's just an excuse to show the housemates in the shower and swearing at each other. 15 year old boys who don't know how to use Google lap it up.

It's the weekly "adults only" edition of Big Bother. As far as I understand it, it's just an excuse to show the housemates in the shower and swearing at each other. 15 year old boys who don't know how to use Google lap it up.

Such a shame to see Tony Squires down on that level of a friggen BB show!

Anywho.

Hi Folks :wave:

They better hurry the hell up then! I need more of Clarkson hating everything!

Have you read any of his books? I know so much of enjoying Clarkson being angry is his tone and accent and reactions to other people, but there's certainly a lot of anger in his writing. They don't look so bad.

I was telling the idea to Screwtape last week, because he wants to be a comic book writer. He was all talking about this great script he's written and how he wanted critiques of it, so of course I ask to have a look at it. It was just some crap about mutants. I hope he's not here reading this, but I didn't get anything out of it. Also it was only like two pages long so there was basically nothing to critique. And so I tell him my plans, how I'm looking for a suitable art style and ways to distinguish the characters, and he doesn't seem that impressed. Well, at least I'm not writing about fucking mutants!

I read it too; he's not got a lot to go off at the moment. He's making a decent attempt at it though, I'll say.

:laugh: He sent me a conversation from his comic, and - I told him this - it just struck me as if he was drawing on a conversation some of us had with him, but of course, in the comic, he gets his viewpoint to dominate and win! It was just some idealistic statements spouted off at the reader without much context and certainly no substantiation.

Have you read any of his books? I know so much of enjoying Clarkson being angry is his tone and accent and reactions to other people, but there's certainly a lot of anger in his writing. They don't look so bad.

I read a bit of one at the Melb Uni book sale the other day, it was absolutely hilarious. If the sale's still on, I'll have to bring you there, Ax.

I also just find the mere fact that Jeremy Clarkson writes books absolutely comical to begin with anyway.

I read it too; he's not got a lot to go off at the moment. He's making a decent attempt at it though, I'll say.

It takes a far bit just to sit down and write, yeah. But so far, there wasn't much distinguishing it from a lot of other comics. There was nothing groundbreaking about it. Maybe that's not what he's after. But comics really, really need innovation right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom