Fresh Kills, Staten Island Superthread - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #151
The Male

Local Time: 10:37 PM
You had a Memorial Day vacation? Damn. I had to study a ton today.

Now.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:42 PM   #152
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I don't see the point in arguing with you about this, because it will just go around in circles. Instead, let me give you two visions of your life.

1. Keep doing what you're doing. Keep seeing a therapist who's no good for you. Keep failing to address the issue. Keep taking medication that isn't treating what's wrong with you. Who knows what that's doing to you? But whatever the case, keep going down this path. You see how you are now? Do you want to be like this when you're thirty, when you're fifty, when you're eighty? Do you want this to be your life? Do you want to sit there when you're fifty, still just as miserable, probably having achieved none of your potential and let your family down, and think "shit, I wish I'd done things differently"?

2. Make some changes now. Maybe there will be some short term problems, or maybe you can come up with convincing explanations that alleviate any tensions. Whatever the case, find someone who will actually help. Get the actual problem addressed. Get medication that actually treats what's wrong. Don't be like this when you're thirty, let alone fifty or eighty. Be well-adjusted and confident and going somewhere worthwhile with your life, rather than going around in the same bleak mental circles for the rest of your life. Your family will notice a positive change and it'll make them a hell of a lot happier.

Your choice.
Amen. The fear of path #1 is what made me finally make the decision to get back into therapy (after four years without it) and back on medication. And now my life is at least going somewhere. It was tough at first, and painful. There were tears and near panic attacks, but something had to be done. You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.

Screwtape, you have to ask yourself, 'When will there be a better time to make some changes?' You can keep waiting for the perfect time, but it might not come. Maybe it's time to stop making excuses and running away from the responsibility of taking care of your problems. If you want to change, you're the only person that can make that happen.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #153
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Essay done at 2503 words. Not bad given the required word count is 2500.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #154
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
You had a Memorial Day vacation? Damn. I had to study a ton today.
My buddy has a shore house outside of Rehoboth, so I spent a day there and a day in Ocean City, MD.

More your neck of the woods.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #155
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
I don't see the point in arguing with you about this, because it will just go around in circles. Instead, let me give you two visions of your life.

2. Make some changes now. Maybe there will be some short term problems, or maybe you can come up with convincing explanations that alleviate any tensions. Whatever the case, find someone who will actually help. Get the actual problem addressed. Get medication that actually treats what's wrong. Don't be like this when you're thirty, let alone fifty or eighty. Be well-adjusted and confident and going somewhere worthwhile with your life, rather than going around in the same bleak mental circles for the rest of your life. Your family will notice a positive change and it'll make them a hell of a lot happier.

Your choice.
I would choose this. I am honestly afraid of the short term consequences. I don't want to take my mom on this journey anymore. It isn't good for her.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #156
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamOutLoud13 View Post
Amen. The fear of path #1 is what made me finally make the decision to get back into therapy (after four years without it) and back on medication. And now my life is at least going somewhere. It was tough at first, and painful. There were tears and near panic attacks, but something had to be done. You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.
And until you said something on this thread, I had never guessed any of this about you. You seemed like one of the more socially confident people here, to me! So clearly it's worked for you. I see no reason to believe it wouldn't work for Screwtape either.

Quote:
Screwtape, you have to ask yourself, 'When will there be a better time to make some changes?' You can keep waiting for the perfect time, but it might not come. Maybe it's time to stop making excuses and running away from the responsibility of taking care of your problems. If you want to change, you're the only person that can make that happen.
Well said.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-26-2008, 09:47 PM   #157
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I would choose this. I am honestly afraid of the short term consequences. I don't want to take my mom on this journey anymore. It isn't good for her.
But by choosing option 1 you are taking her on this journey. That's what you're not seeing: you want things to be better for your family as well as yourself. What makes this decision easier is the fact that by choosing option 2, you're helping both, and by choosing option 1, you're hurting both. Sure, it's not exactly that simple, but it's pretty close.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #158
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
Essay done at 2503 words. Not bad given the required word count is 2500.
Nice. All three of my essays due in approximately two weeks currently have zero words written. Oops.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #159
Blue Crack Supplier

After writing that essay, I'm pretty convinced the death penalty just got fucked up by my rhetoric and research. Huzzah!
Old 05-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #160
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Quote:
Nice. All three of my essays due in approximately two weeks currently have zero words written. Oops.
I have a 3000 word one due sometime and i have no idea what i'm going to write.

Great.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #161
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
My buddy has a shore house outside of Rehoboth, so I spent a day there and a day in Ocean City, MD.

More your neck of the woods.
I've been out there in the past. A couple years back, I stayed at Bethany Beach and traveled 20 or so minutes to Ocean City. Beautiful place. Hope you had a good time.

Now.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:50 PM   #162
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:37 AM
Quote:
Are you under your parents' medical insurance, or are they footing the bill or something. Otherwise they don't necessarily need to be involved at all. You're an adult, perfectly capable of making and attending your own appointments.

I suggest you look into a behavioural health center in your city. The payment options can be quite reasonable, if you want to take care of it for yourself. I don't have insurance, and I only have to pay $20 per appointment, which is not bad at all.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #163
The Male

Quote:
Why not let her go then? You need to do this.

Now.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #164
Vocal parasite

Quote:
So you'll choose short term "gain" (if it can even be called that) for massive long term loss rather than short term pain (which can be alleviated by careful explanations) for massive long term gain? I know you're smarter than that.

Don't take your mother on the journey of having a son who reaches fifty still going around in the same bleak mental circles from when he was twenty, having not achieved his potential. Do you think she'd prefer that journey? Really?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #165
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I've been out there in the past. A couple years back, I stayed at Bethany Beach and traveled 20 or so minutes to Ocean City. Beautiful place. Hope you had a good time.
Rehoboth was nice. It has a huge gay population because (from what someone said) there's a gay beach section on the south side of town. Never made it that far, but we saw a ton of them walking around town (we stayed in the center of town and challenged local 30 year olds to beach volleyball, winning every game). Nice to see that parts of America aren't in the fucking stone age.

We used fake names when meeting girls on the boardwalks both nights. My one buddy was Finch from American Pie and the rest of us stole names from out school's baseball coaches. After we gave out our numbers, we changed all our voicemails to the fake names for the rest of the weekend.

Tags
superthread