Frequent Flyers...Please Calm My Nerves...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
As lots of you know, I'm flyin' tomorrow to see my fiance. I HATE flying...not because of 9-11 either...I've always hated it. It's not even the flying part that bothers me...I hate airports, and I am driving myself crazy with the possibility that my flight won't be able to leave (last time, we almost didn't leave because our stewardess didn't show up, and my father was flying that same day on a different flight, and HIS plane almost didn't leave because of engine problems).

So...you people that fly often...or have even only flown a couple times, I suppose...reassure me that most flights DO leave on time with no problems...

They do, right???

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Everything will be fine. I love flying no matter if it's on one of those puddle jumping prop planes or a 727. My brother is a aircraft mechanic and he'd be the first one to tell me if I shouldn't fly...he hasn't...so I feel safe.
biggrin.gif
Don't worry!! I've had almost no problem with any flight I've been on...enjoy seeing the world from another point of view!
biggrin.gif

One tip-these days, you have to allow PLENTY of time w/ check-in, etc. and all the extra security.

They are randomly hand-searching carry-on's and even checked luggage. IMO, if you're nervous already, get there at least 2 1/2 hours before your flight leaves.

I'm a nervous flier too-the only thing that really helps me is my CD Walkman, and praying.
smile.gif

My dad is dropping me off about 2 and a half hours before my flight leaves, so I should have plenty of time.

I'm just so paranoid that my flight is going to be cancelled or horribly delayed or something...*sigh*...I always drive myself mad thinking of things like that.

I'm bringing Dramamine this time too because I was friggin' sick to my stomach the entire flight last time...not to puking point, but to the very, very uncomfortable feelin' point.

------------------
"I don't know you,

You'll be fine, girl.
smile.gif
I used to fly quite often when I was with my ex, and just recently flew three times in less than 2 months! I had almost no problems at all on any of those flights, most all of them leave ontime too. Have a safe flight!! (And a great time with the fiance!)

------------------
She not waiting on a saviour to come
She's at a bus stop with the news of the world and the sun sun here it comes
She's not waiting for anyone

The Lemon Pure PopAngel

April~

You've flown of Detroit Metro before, haven't you? And you had no probs there?

------------------
"I don't know you,

Originally posted by Bonochick:
April~

Yes, that's all I've ever flown out of MI. The only problem I encountered was 3 years ago when my flight was delayed, but it was the day before Thanksgiving so that was most likely why. Also, my ex had a hell of a time getting out during the blizzard of 99, but other than those two times it's all been fine.
smile.gif
Like Gina said, the security these days will probably be a pain in the ass, but everything else should be just fine.

------------------
And in our world of plenty
We can spread a smile of joy
Throw your arms around the world
At Christmas time

Pick out your finest business suit, and then go and con them into letting you sit in Business Class. It works on occasion.
smile.gif

Also, if the plane has an upper level (2nd floor), you'd feel less sick up there. It's supposed to be more stable.

Good luck! I'm sure it'll all go smoothly.

Ah Katherine, you'll be right!
Flying is fun if you let it be.
Just dont think so much.
I've done a lot of flying and always try and enjoy the experience.
It would never enter my head about it being delayed. If it is, it is. There are SO many planes going up and coming down every day, especially this time of year, schedules are bound to get a little slow.
If I can endure 23 hours witha stop over from Sydney to London and back again, u can handle this lil flight!

Remember to chill girl and take your u2ey tunes
smile.gif

------------------
they're singin deck the halls
but its not like Christmas at all

you'll be fine. My dad has been on planes LOADS of times even those really tiny planes that look like a carvan with wings, he alwyas gets to his destination on time and he has never complained about being late, you'll be GREAT

Remember flying is fine
biggrin.gif

------------------
And if you look, you look through me.

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare
E nell'amore non so pi sperare
E quell'amore non so pi aspettare
miss_smith@emailaccount.com e-mail me :)
The perpetually handsome Mullen appears to have stopped ageing around the time of The Joshua Tree.
"It doesn't matter what songs we sing.
I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me." -Larry
Larry likes to play drums." - Bono
"Larry's always been noticed cos he's the pretty one." - Adam
"Bono, if you still haven't found what you're looking for, look behind the drumkit." - Boy George
A man so handsome, he will never be let sing in this group!"
-Bono, introducing Larry at Irving Plaza, NYC 2000

Thanks for replying, everybody! I'm feeling a lot less aprehensive about the airport and flying!

I leave tomorrow...I'll pop in once I arrive to Virginia to let you all know how things fared!

------------------
"I don't know you,

Originally posted by Bonochick:

I know this was to April, bu I flew through there in November, and had no problems! You are getting there early enough, and with a major airline hub there, even if the flight is delayed or cancelled, there will be many options!

Hey Bonochick, I feel your pain. I'm not much of a flier.

Neither is my friend Michael who just flew to Prague and back. So for Christmas, I got him a medal of St. Joseph of Cupertino, the patron saint of astronauts, pilots, and fliers.

So even if you're not Catholic (my friend is Quaker), if you get nervous, say a little prayer to St. Joseph of Cupertino and hopefully everything will work out okay. A little divine intervention couldn't hurt! (I hope this *Catholic* advice doesn't offend...but my theory is, if what you're doing isn't working, try anything else!)

And Detroit Metro is quite safe and well-run. I used to live in Westland and their planes flew over my school all the time, and I've been there with many a relative. Good luck!

I forgot about it being a hub, DOH!!
smile.gif

lol

Wasn't it just the teeniest airport you've ever seen, zone?

------------------
She not waiting on a saviour to come
She's at a bus stop with the news of the world and the sun sun here it comes
She's not waiting for anyone

The Lemon Pure PopAngel

I used to fear flying to the degree that my palms would sweat when airborne. Doesn't happen any more, though. I'm completely relaxed in the air. I've basically psyched myself out of the fear.

<----saw "Almost Famous" today.

Don't confess all yer secrets unless you're SURE you're gonna--

o wait I'm supposed to be reassuring.

Em....you are the wind beneath my wings? ....I'm no good at this.

------------------
~*Mona*~ Secretary of Scandalization
97% compatible with Bono

Love me, give me soul.

"For the good of the nation, you must defile Bono!" ~Echo~

"I'm allergic to violence! I break out in blood!"

Statistically speaking no mode of transportation is safter than that of an airplane. How about them beans! *slaps herself for saying that...* I get airsickness all the time, so I have to take Dramamine. My suggestion to you is listen to a little U2 and take some drowsy Dramamine and you'll be there with your finace before you know it. Have fun!

------------------
Taste is the enemy of art.

blech. Detroit Metro is a crap airport. and so is LaGuardia in NYC and I had to be in both on Friday-- blech again. I was really nervous to fly this time-- first time since Sept. 11-- but it was fine. Just make sure you get there at least two hours before for security and when you're on the plane have something to do-- read or CDs or something-- to get your mind off the fact that you are indeed on a plane. Hope the flight was good to VA!

The airports were worse than the flights lately. The less likely someone is to look like a terrorist, the more likely they will search you and go through your suitcase. I saw so many elderly people with canes having their suitcases searched, and they use the same pair of gloves on each suitcase (phew, ug, and barf), and they lift up each item...underpants up in the air. And those of us in line for 2 hrs have nothing else to look at so we watch every item they hold up. I used to be so scared to fly, and I used every psych trick there is, the rubber band flicking it against your wrist, displacing negative thoughts with good ones, ad naseum. Flying to Europe for 10 hrs was hell, and it was the turbulence, each time my heart would race. I finally solved it, and it so stupid, but it works. I tried reading interesting things, books, good articles...it didn't work. Grab every tabloid there is, and take them and read them. The more mindless celebrity gossip and stupid pictures the better. The mind cannot think of two things at once, so when you become absorbed in who wore what to what premiere, you will forget all about you're on a plane. Also, use headphones and have a CD or tape that is stuff you absolutely love, the combination works. I sat next to two men who had too much to drink and were scared to death to fly, and kept saying they were, so we played the game of who has breast implants by looking at the tabloids, and they forgot they were scared.

Gee, thanks, Johnny...glad I didn't read that before I left!
rolleyes.gif

I made it! Sorry I'm late posting...been too busy for the Internet!!!
smile.gif

My flight was actually pretty smooth...I took manda's advice and tried to enjoy myself. The flight was overbooked, but they got 5 people to volunteer to take a later flight. We were only about 20 minutes late.

I'm gonna post a more detailed thread in the main forum! With U2 content!
wink.gif

~Katherine

------------------
"I don't know you,

Back
Top Bottom