French or German? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2004, 09:10 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave
Is sign language an option? My husband was allowed to take that for his language requirement...
LOL, my experiences with ASL are actually why I haven't taken any other languages until now.

I tried to take it and was really excited. On the first day, the professor asked "Who knows the finger alphabet?" and the whole class raised their hand. "Good, we'll just skip the first section then. Pair up with your classmates and start signing with each other."

Old 09-20-2004, 09:12 PM   #17
New Yorker

Re: Re: French or German?

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Nerds

Then take German!

Arg! I need to count these up, I think it has split evenly down the middle.

Thanks everyone who has replied so far.

Old 09-20-2004, 09:26 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:34 AM
Francais... I would have done the proper c, but the alts aren't working.

Old 09-20-2004, 09:51 PM   #19
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:34 AM
I've done German for five years, though we've been totally screwed over with horrible teaching methods for three of those years so I can't speak German much better than a normal second or third-year student despite being one of the top two German students in my school. If it weren't for that, I would absolutely love the language. It's nice and structured, easy to get into because it's similar to English in many respects, and I believe the statistics are that it's the first language of 100 million worldwide and the second language of another 100 million. I think it's definitely worth it.

At the end of the day, pick whatever language takes your fancy the most, but German's pretty good. I only had a choice between German and Japanese, and I think I made the right choice.

... always wanted to learn Latin, classical Greek and Russian though.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-21-2004, 01:08 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:34 PM
I am studying French and Spanish now. This is my 2nd year of studying them at uni. Personally, I would pick Spanish. I find it a lot easier than French, although my marks in my subjects are very close.

Can you sit in some of the classes and see what they are like before you decide?
Old 09-21-2004, 02:00 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:34 AM
I would say French, it is probably a lot more useful if you wanted to learn for travel purposes. Of course Greek is a good language to learn, also for employment you cannot beat Farsi.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:19 AM   #22
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Do both, French and German
French is afik the most sexy language and German to be able to read Goethe's Faust, Die Leiden des jungen Werther and some of his poems in the original language

Quote:
Jeder Jüngling sehnt sich, so zu lieben,
Jedes Mädchen, so geliebt zu sein;
Ach, der heiligste von unsern Trieben,
Warum quillt aus ihm die grimme Pein?

Du beweinst, du liebst ihn, liebe Seele,
Rettest sein Gedächtnis von der Schmach;
Sieh, dir winkt sein Geist aus seiner Höhle:
Sei ein Mann, und folge mir nicht nach.
Can't be translated without loosing some of the emotions
Old 09-21-2004, 06:19 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cujo
Francais... I would have done the proper c, but the alts aren't working.

(turn on the Num Lock)
Old 09-21-2004, 09:52 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:34 PM
yo, i speak fluently german, because i was born there and i've grown up there. if you want a more simple language to learn, i advice you to choose it, it is very alike to english. if you want a more "around the world practicable language", then go for french. but don't forget that german is a very spoken language in the bussiness world
Old 09-21-2004, 10:12 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

My translator friend...born in Greece of Armenian parents; moved to Argentina where he lived until for 20 years...now serves as my Greek, Armenian, Russian and Spanish translator and boy does he make the big bucks off of me!

That's where its at kids!..You can land a translating job with any local interpreting company; you jump on the contracting list and they send you the work...you split the cost with the agency and its money in the bank!! its true, its damn true!

For instance, I call the company and need a Russian translator for an interview; they send me Mr. So and so; we interview someone for an hour; the company bills the insurance carrier for 4 hours work and the translator splits the pay with his boss....easy shit for speaking a language...

I generally do my own Spanish language cases but the Exotic languages are big bucks...just some thought for you college-kids...I have plenty of young-uns' who work for me!

And for you who are interested in the REAL big dollars; take certified courses to support your language and you can do Court work...that's where the treasure is!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:17 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus

French is afik the most sexy language

Indeed !
Old 09-21-2004, 04:10 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:34 PM
I studied both (French for five or six years, German for two), but liked German better because I'm a big loser and love grammar.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:13 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:34 AM
French will be easier for you to learn as an anglophone.

Although German and English are similar, in German you have to go through 4 conjugation cases (nominative, genitive, dative, accusative) which should actually be easy for you if you know a Slavic language or Latin, so your Russian could be helpful. ETA: you have cases in English too, but they are easily resolved, for example in genitive it's a matter of adding a possessive form whereas in German and in Slavic languages, you are changing the word endings, including all nouns, pronouns, adjectives, etc and it becomes very confusing for non-native speakers.

I've studied both, but I've also lived in Austria for a period of time.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:40 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
I studied both (French for five or six years, German for two), but liked German better because I'm a big loser and love grammar.

glad to hear i'm not the only grammar nerd around here. i studied both french (i'm canadian, so it wasn't smart not to learn it) and german (in university, loved it) for several years. i had a better learning experience with german because our prof was the most amazing teacher and person. they're both challenging languages, and both very useful. i agree with the other kids, you gotta go with what you're interested in.

grammar nerds rock!
Old 09-22-2004, 01:18 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. BAW
My translator friend...born in Greece of Armenian parents; moved to Argentina where he lived until for 20 years...now serves as my Greek, Armenian, Russian and Spanish translator and boy does he make the big bucks off of me!

That's where its at kids!..You can land a translating job with any local interpreting company; you jump on the contracting list and they send you the work...you split the cost with the agency and its money in the bank!! its true, its damn true!

For instance, I call the company and need a Russian translator for an interview; they send me Mr. So and so; we interview someone for an hour; the company bills the insurance carrier for 4 hours work and the translator splits the pay with his boss....easy shit for speaking a language...

I generally do my own Spanish language cases but the Exotic languages are big bucks...just some thought for you college-kids...I have plenty of young-uns' who work for me!

And for you who are interested in the REAL big dollars; take certified courses to support your language and you can do Court work...that's where the treasure is!
My Dads friend is German and when they were getting an IMAX cinema here the instructions for a projector type thing were in German and they needed someone to translate because it was a german engineer working on it. They got my Dads friend. apparently, the only things he said in the 2 days he was there were things like the man working on the projector wanted a cup of tea. He got £300 for 8 hours work.