French music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teehee

Refugee
Hi!

I was listening today to Protège Moi by Placebo, a song that I really like and I thought that it would be interesting to know any French pop-rock groups (you know, it's a good way to improve my French).

I don't really know of any French artists. Well, I listen to Air (they are French, aren't they?) but the lyrics are written on English, so it doesn't count. I have also listened a bit of Michel Polnareff, Manu Chao or Edith Piaff but I want some rock :wink:

Recommendations, s'il vous plaît?

While it isn't rock (and he isn't French either, but Belgian), you should definately check out Jacques Brel. :up:

Brel is good stuff. If you dig guys like Scott Walker, go listen to Brel.

The sixties garage-pop is also pretty damn fun. I highly recommend Francoise Hardy and Jacques Dutronc especially.

Anyway, if you want to rock out, check out Noir Desir.

Noir Desir--isn't the lead singer in jail for beating his girlfriend to death?

I was going to recommend Phoenix, another French band, but they sing all their lyrics in English too. If you're looking for a phenomenal pop band, they are among the best.

Oddly enough, they used to be Air's live touring band.

Oh, and how come no one's mentioned Serge Gainsbourg? The French Frank Sinatra! Guy's amazing! Bonnie and Clyde and that other song where Brigitte Bardot sounds like she's having an orgasm...

laz

Back
Top Bottom